Titanium Backup data restore causes apps to FC

semibru

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I know what you're thinking... another one that tried to back up and restore system data. NOT the case here.

I upgraded from AOKP Milestone 5 to build 38. Rather than wait hours for my 180 apps to restore through Play market, I used Titanium Backup (with fresh backups).

Basically, any app that has data restored will fail. If I wipe data, it works fine. Restore data again, it fails again...

I've never had this issue before and have frequently used TiB to restore data for apps individually. I'll probably roll back to Milestone 5 and see if that works better. I've already tried clearing cache and fixing permissions.

Any other thoughts?

anon268366

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Can't help with your current situation but a pointer when upgrading in between builds you don't have to wipe data, just cache and dalvik. wiping data doesn't hurt but can be a pain.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

semmelbroesel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I used to have trouble restoring system data when upgrading from Froyo to GB.
Eventually I only restored some main pieces, e.g. SMS, Accounts, Wifi and stuff.

But in case it helps:
TB has an experimental feature that might explain why I haven't had trouble since then (when I went from GB to PowerWashed GB and then finally to SuperClean MS3).
The feature is under PREFERENCES - RESTORATION SETTINGS - MIGRATE SYSTEM DATA.
It "Attempts to preserve DB structure and to migrate your data cross incompatible ROM versions."

I wouldn't fully rely on it without testing first, but for me it seemed to work.

semibru

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I'm in the process of reinstalling the apps now from Play Market and will see if the data restore works on MS5. I'll know shortly whether changing ROM versions was potentially the culprit or TB.

I just ordered my SIII this morning, so hoping to have something stable until July 9th. I love these Fassy ICS builds, but they always seem to self destruct after two weeks. Gummy got unbearably laggy and AOKP will suddenly boot loop. With this uncertainty, I'd like to be able to count on TB!

semibru

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE: Flashed back to milestone 5 and have the same issue. It appears that the TB backups are corrupt or something. If I create a new backup for an up, I can restore is successfully. Perhaps this has something to do with the recent TB update.

Unless anyone knows of some random setting I suddenly need to use the backups I made, I guess I'll dig my old TB backups out of an archive on Dropbox.

This sucks.

semmelbroesel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Question:
What happens if you ONLY restore user apps and NOT any system data?
Same thing?

Also, have you tried restoring ONLY the apps that appear broken or restoring only the other apps?

semibru

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Same thing. I never backed up any system data. Whether trying to restore a single user app or many, it fails. If I create a new backup, it works.

When I say "failed" I mean the app will FC. TB does actually restore the data without throwing errors. So, odd that the backup is okay to TB, but apparently is corrupt.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

semmelbroesel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Really weird, this has never happened to me before, and I have restored most of my apps and some system data to two phones and various ROMs multiple times...

You could try to contact TB's tech support and see if they can help you out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci