Why won't my phone root?

PromoTheRobot

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I have tried several times with several different methods to root my Fascinate, and every time it fails. It either doesn't take, stalls, or the rooting program says it "can't find the device." The same thing is going on with my wife's Droid 4. I'm wondering in VZ is doing something to block root? She recently (against my advice) updated to Jellybean and her non-VZ wireless tether is now blocked. I was able to root my Fascinate before so why not now? Anyone else having issues? There are no new root threads for this phone since it's so old. The latest thing I found was a a program called OneClickRoot that claims it can root most Android devices, including the Fscinate and Droid 4, but it just stalls out. Help please.

Devon Peters

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm haveing the same issue kinda. i have rooted my phone the exhibit 4 g multiple times in the past trying to get a more advanced root on my very limited budget and now suddenly the rooter is failing to root my device. Could it be my internet signal?

James White1

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
The first time i attempted to root my SCH-i500 it would not take either. At first i thought i was using a broken version of CWM, but on the 6th try it finally took and it soft bricked my device. I re flashed and it finally worked, and flashed the lasted nightly build on cyanogenmod 10.1 . I say give it patience and try a few times.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I have tried two different toolkits and the phone will not root. It just keeps booting into and out of fastbooter but nothing seems to happen in between. The files did get pushed to my phone but it won't go into a custom recovery to flash/install them. Also, it seems that the toolkit is supposed to reboot the phone. It does from Android to fastbooter, but not fastbooter to Android. I have to manually press the power button. Could this be the problem? Should I be waiting longer than 30 secs for it to reboot? Sigh.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I have tried two different toolkits and the phone will not root. It just keeps booting into and out of fastbooter but nothing seems to happen in between. The files did get pushed to my phone but it won't go into a custom recovery to flash/install them. Also, it seems that the toolkit is supposed to reboot the phone. It does from Android to fastbooter, but not fastbooter to Android. I have to manually press the power button. Could this be the problem? Should I be waiting longer than 30 secs for it to reboot? Sigh.
Thanks to James, I kept trying. I rebooted the computer, as suggested in a different thread, remembering that I never had after updating the drivers and prayed that would fix the problem. It didn't. But then I realized all those error message popups from my computers notification area, whatever that's called, were not from Windows, they were coming from my tethering app's computer side. It was blocking access to the phone in fast boot mode. Turned it off and voila, rooted. So if you have any programs on your computer that start when your phone connects, be sure to shut them down.

Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus

megalania725

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I tried disabling the Motorola device manager, and I'm still getting the same errors. I've tried using two different roots, and each of them fails at a different point.
The error message I get with the root found here: How to root Motorola DROID 4 on Jelly Bean Update - YouTube
can be found here: http://i.imgur.com/o3fL4je.jpg

For the root found here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-4/155397-root-how-root-droid-4-a.html
the error is found here: http://i.imgur.com/fIp092F.jpg

I'm also getting the superuser binary out of date error on my Droid 4, even though the rooter seems to say it never installed SU in the first place.
The phone is also often still rebooting when the rooter 'finishes' waiting for it to reboot, so I'm wondering if that could be causing the failures.

This is getting very frustrating, and any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated! (Running Jellybean on a Droid 4).