Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirrk

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Lag Fix [Updated for Voodoo]

[Warn] Moderator edit: This method is outdated and no longer applies. [/warn]

Please remove the ext2 lagfix if you have it

If you have the lagfix that was posted here installed you should remove the lagfix as it is obsolete now that we have voodoo kernels.

If you are unsure if you have this installed or not please dont attempt anything without checking. If you have a voodoo kernel installed already then you do not need to continue.

[How to check(easy way)]
Download quadrant from the Market(its free)
run full benchmark
If you are getting scores below 1000 then skip ahead to install the new lagfix
If you are getting scores 1200+ there is a 99%+ chance you have the old lagfix installed unless you have already upgraded to the voodoo kernels.

If you are still unsure then you need check using the harder method

[How to check]
Download ConnectBot from the Market(its free) or use adb shell(for adb skip down to the command)
Open connectbot
Select local from the drop down menu should say ssh by default
Press and hold down where it says nickname (Long press)
Choose Input Method and select Android Keyboard (swype does not work very well in this app)
type root in the nickname text box
press done
it should open up an all black screen with a $ symbol at the top.
You are going to type in this command EXACTLY how I put it.

mount | busybox grep ext2

To get the | symbol hit ?123 button then Alt and it is where 3 would be

If you get a result besides the $ symbol then you have it installed. And should uninstall it if you want to use voodoo instead.

[How to uninstall]
Downloading the attached RyanZAEXT2LagFix ALPHA 1.zip
run unlagfix.bat

[How to install the new lagfix]
1. Root your phone. (Link in my signature)
2. Install ClockworkMod Recovery http://forum.androidcentral.com/fascinate-roms-hacks/35726-clockworkmod-recovery.html#post353417
3. Get the Voodoo Kernel
To help figure out which Kernel is for you! Look here first
LV = Low Voltage
SV = Standard Voltage
Versions D02 Include bootanimations and allow you to use your own animation.
Versions D01 and D012 Do not allow for animations

Download a voodoo Kernel https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BxkJ4zVcE6f_ODVkMjZmMzYtNjE5ZS00Y2RmLTgwZWEtOTIxNGQyNTliNTQ4&hl=en
And place it on your sdcard

You will need to download setcpu, and you should download it from the market and pay the $1 for the app because you paid $200 for the phone so dont pretend to be a cheap ***.

Boot into recovery (Volume Up + Down + Power)
You will see the samsung screen, let go.
It will open into the regular recovery
Click Apply update.zip (or something like that)
It will say verifying bs blah blah blah and magically clockworkmod opens (thanks koush)

Go to install zip from sdcard > Choose zip > Scroll down to the kernel you chose ie. D02-Kernel-LV-1250.zip and click on it. It will update and then you just need to restart your phone.

When restarting for the first time you will hear voices(not in your head) and it will take a full 10 minutes. Just walk away after you hear the voice say step1

FAQ:
What is voodoo?
Project Voodoo, Galaxy S improvements | Open Source project homepage

Why are my scores lower when comparred to the original lagfix and why should I use the new voodoo lagfix instead?
Because it uses ext2 instead of ext4, which tricks benchmarks into over rating the filesystem. You will not notice a difference in real use speeds but ext4 is used because it is very stable and is less likely to loose your data. This lagfix unlike the other is an actual fix to how the kernel sets up the filesystem when it is started.

How do I uninstall it?
Make a new folder/file named disable_lagfix inside your voodoo folder on your sdcard. Then restart your phone.
Command: adb shell mkdir /sdcard/Voodoo/disable_lagfix
adb reboot

Last edited by a moderator:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Another excellent write-up. I hope you don't mind, but vBulletin doesn't like font size 7 for some reason and caused all the text to overlap. I brought it down a few notches.

evilhunter101

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
When I try this is tells me "on your device, select allow root privileges!" Then su: permission denied

I am rooted by using your method in these forums, I checked using the adb shell and it returns "#"

I verified lagfix not working by running quadrant and getting 800something. Ideas?

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Am I correct in my assumption that you have to be rooted in order to do this?

Yes you do.

When I try this is tells me "on your device, select allow root privileges!" Then su: permission denied

If you look at your phone screen right away, there should be a popup asking if you want to allow root privileges, after you type the command. Are you seeing that?

evilhunter101

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
No popup coming up at all.

EDIT: Just re-did the entire root process and re-ran the lag fix, still no popup but it proceeded with the install. Will report back if it works.

EDIT 2: It worked! 2290 :D

4977254319_405c808f5b_z.jpg

Last edited:

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Any bad side effects from this. I read that it uses around 1GB of storage space. If it does, is it actual storage space for apps or RAM?

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
Good info thanks. I might redo it so it only uses 750mb after I finish up this other stuff.

No prob, 750 is probably safer anyways. If anyone wants to get it exact, they'll figure it out.

I see some people have doubled up on that lag fix and done some damage over at xda. Did you write that batch file or was that from the original zip? Might be useful to throw in some quick logic in there, maybe create a .txt file after execution to indicate that the lagfix was applied, and prompt "are you sure you want to continue" if it finds that file, before it executes the next time. You could just delete the file in the unlagfix.bat.

Just a thought.. Most people will probably just leave it alone once it's working.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Except for the significant jump in Quadrant scores, I didn't notice it really affecting performance outside of that app, as it's already really fast. I went ahead and put it back the way it was.

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
Except for the significant jump in Quadrant scores, I didn't notice it really affecting performance outside of that app, as it's already really fast. I went ahead and put it back the way it was.

To be honest, I didn't notice that much of a speedup myself, other than Quadrant. Not sure how much it makes a difference, at least it's very easily removable. I must have installed/uninstalled ~12 times today. :)

From my reading of the European Galaxy S dev forums, there's a (hacked) firmware fix for this for good. I do notice very real lag when other applications are doing something, writing, processing, etc.. it doesn't happen too often, but it does seem to hang, so I think we have some of the lag problem still there that needs to be addressed. We'll see what happens in Europe first, but it's looking promising.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke