03-28-2011 12:39 AM
184 1234 ...
tools
    for now...i guess we use the widget or make a bookmark to google voice search.

tomorrow, I'll take a look into the system settings and tinker with it...my theory is to trick the system into thinking google voice search is bing's voice search, but I have no clue how that'll go.

aiming for the quick search key settings. if anyone knows where it may be? that'd help a bit
    09-11-2010 01:43 AM
    Your fastest way to success is to root and rename that file. No other tinkering required beyond that.
    09-11-2010 02:10 AM
    Couldn't you just delete the files too? I'm new at the root thing, figured you could just junk it along with the rest of the bloatware that we don't want?
    Bhilly82 likes this.
    09-11-2010 02:50 AM
    The issue about that is the system's name for the package.

From what I've determined, I need to manually modify the default applications xml, but it's being so elusive to me. it should be /data/system/package.xml (this is away from the phone, so it might be off), but i have yet to find the default apps.

oh, swype's voice search uses google's voice parser if i'm not mistaken? If so, that'd mean it may be in another settings file.

I think I'm gonna being doing a ton of hunting tomorrow

edit: to address the above comment, getting rid of bloatware with root is easy, but restoring usability of the bloatware hijacked parts is tricky. for instance, deleting bing gets rid of the app, but also the voice search in the quick search
    09-11-2010 02:56 AM
    anyone know how to make the car cradle app default to google navigation instead of vz navigator?
    09-11-2010 03:32 AM
    I
    Couldn't you just delete the files too? I'm new at the root thing, figured you could just junk it along with the rest of the bloatware that we don't want?
    Technically yes. But to be safe I always tell people to rename system files. Some people on other devices have not been able to install OTA updates because the system file structure wasn't exactly the way it was out of the box. The Droid X wouldn't update after we deleted a bunch of bloatware. Not good.
    09-11-2010 07:35 AM
    Here's more video of it in action, if anybody cares.

09-11-2010 09:18 AM
    And another, with a demo toward the end illustrating how to do it:

09-11-2010 10:39 AM
    Thanks guys!
    09-11-2010 01:17 PM
    Still a no go for me. I'm not sure why it won't work for me but I've tried it several times and just can't get that darn Bing to stop coming up in voice search.
    09-11-2010 02:04 PM
    Still a no go for me. I'm not sure why it won't work for me but I've tried it several times and just can't get that darn Bing to stop coming up in voice search.
    Did you make sure you renamed the right file? When I first did it I miss-clicked my verizon app. I looked again and renamed the right file and it worked.
    09-11-2010 02:21 PM
    There may be an easy answer to this question but I can't find the answer through searching...
    Why do I get a "Parse Error" when I try to run/install the "EnhancedGoogleSearchProvider.apk" from the SD Card? It won't let me load that apk.
    09-11-2010 02:25 PM
    Have you rebooted your phone yet?
    09-11-2010 02:27 PM
    Have you rebooted your phone yet?
    Good point, I'm almost positive I had to reboot.
    09-11-2010 02:37 PM
    There may be an easy answer to this question but I can't find the answer through searching...
    Why do I get a "Parse Error" when I try to run/install the "EnhancedGoogleSearchProvider.apk" from the SD Card? It won't let me load that apk.

Which file manager are you using? Try Astro or Root Explorer if you haven't already.
    09-11-2010 05:44 PM
    I downloaded and installed the Google thingy you posted. How can I get it to work running the TouchWiz thingy.
    09-11-2010 09:22 PM
    I went through all of the previous posts and watched Cory on the video. I want to confirm that I need Root Explorer before I purchase it in oder to change the name of the file to .old. BTW, those instructions were right on the money! Can anyone confirm the Root Explorer is a pay app please. I only saw one in the Market.
    09-11-2010 10:03 PM
    Which file manager are you using? Try Astro or Root Explorer if you haven't already.
    I tried Astro...let me try Root Explorer. I also tried about 5 different other installers.
    09-11-2010 10:17 PM
    I went through all of the previous posts and watched Cory on the video. I want to confirm that I need Root Explorer before I purchase it in oder to change the name of the file to .old. BTW, those instructions were right on the money! Can anyone confirm the Root Explorer is a pay app please. I only saw one in the Market.
    You don't need it, you can rename it from the shell. However, knowing the problems you ran into rooting your device, I'd say just pay $3 or whatever, and make it easy on yourself. You need a file manager capable of renaming files, that can run with superuser privileges.
    09-11-2010 10:20 PM
    Astro says something a little different. Can not open /sdcard/EhancedSearchProvider.apk as APK File

I will try to rename it as see if that does the trick.

Update:

Nope...I must be missing something.

1. copied file to sdcard
    2. unmounted usb
    2. tried opening it from several installers..no go.
    09-11-2010 10:20 PM
    @namebrandon
    A little credit please... how do I find the shell to change the name? Is there a youtube video? I'm a visual learner, so if I can watch it, I can do it!
    09-11-2010 10:24 PM
    If you've gone through the whole process of rooting your phone (look at me, almost sounding like I know what I'm talking about, and yet I got my first phone in about 7-8 years yesterday!!), you can use the same cmd shell to rename the file.

from the regular windows prompt, under the tools folder as previously stated:

adb shell
    cd /system/app
    mv I500_BingSearchAndroid_07152010.apk I500_BingSearchAndroid_07152010.apk.old

But I must point out that the whole process didn't work for me at first. In order for Bing to stop showing up, I also had to rename the following file as well:

/data/app/com.microsoft.mobileexperiences.bing.apk to old

Once I renamed that file, the Bing icon disapeared from the applications, and the search was finally using Google. The difference *may* be that I had updated Bing from the apps folder (prior to finding this thread), after cliking on it and being prompt to install the latest version.
    09-11-2010 10:27 PM
    @ Enrique, when you say Windows prompt, that means connecting my phone to the computer and following your instructions? Are they step by step instructions?
    09-11-2010 10:31 PM
    I have read so many threads... I may be confused as to what I found where... yes, connecting to your computer exactly the same way as you did when rooting your phone. You connect the usb cable (I'm assuming the USB debugging connection must still be enabled... but I haven't tried without), then launch cmd.exe from windows. From cmd, change directory to the sdk tools folder, as in the instructions for rooting the phone... then follow the steps above.
    09-11-2010 10:38 PM
    but as namebrandon said, for 3$, it may not be worth it. I personally ended buying root explorer as I felt it would be useful, regardless... turns out, I needed it's capabilities sooner than I expected as it helped me find the other file I needed to rename.
    09-11-2010 10:42 PM
184 1234 ...