03-28-2011 12:39 AM
184 12345 ...
tools
    oops... I don't think they call it rooting.. but just root... it's a good thing I stated early on that I was new to this thing...
    09-11-2010 10:51 PM
    one final comment, or question this time... should I worry about changing the password on the su, to avoid the "Rick-Roll" episode mentioned elsewhere?
    09-11-2010 10:54 PM
    @namebrandon
    A little credit please... how do I find the shell to change the name? Is there a youtube video? I'm a visual learner, so if I can watch it, I can do it!
    Sorry man, wasn't trying to insult you. It's just that with root privileges you can do just about anything to your phone, and it's not going to ask you "really? you sure you want to do that?". It's just going to do it, regardless of if it's going to brick your phone or not.

I guess my point is that if someone can't get into the shell on their phone, they should learn a bit more before trying to operate that shell with superuser rights. If you're a visual person, than root explorer would be great, it's obviously visual. Point to the file, hold, and rename.

THat being said, the basics are as follows..

to open a shell..
    adb shell [enter]

then to switch to root..
    su [enter]

from there you use the file move command 'mv to move/rename a file.

mv originalfilename newfilename [enter]

that's it!
    09-11-2010 11:16 PM
    Astro says something a little different. Can not open /sdcard/EhancedSearchProvider.apk as APK File

I will try to rename it as see if that does the trick.

Update:

Nope...I must be missing something.

1. copied file to sdcard
    2. unmounted usb
    2. tried opening it from several installers..no go.
    Have you tried downloading it again? Are you downloading it from your computer and moving it to the SD card, or are you downloading it directly from the browser on the Fascinate and running it?
    09-11-2010 11:20 PM
    @ namebrandon, not offended at all. It did take me a long time to get that darn thing rooted! Dang! Anyway, just purchased Root Explorer. I changed the Bloackbuster name to .old and it accepted it! Can't wait to unload all of this extra stuff on this phone. Thanks for the assistance guys! BTW, I'm a female and can't undertand why my picture doesn't show up with my posts! here we go again!
    09-11-2010 11:26 PM
    My ish works! Even holding down the search goes to Google! Bye, bye, Bingy baby!!
    09-12-2010 12:15 AM
    I ca get to the task of renaming the file. When I edit the file and add ".old" to the end of the file, it works. But for some reason it doesn't save the changes. Any ideas?

Also, will I need to configure the search button on the right to search via google?

Thanks
    09-12-2010 09:09 AM
    I ca get to the task of renaming the file. When I edit the file and add ".old" to the end of the file, it works. But for some reason it doesn't save the changes. Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Are you rooted? You need to be.
    09-12-2010 09:35 AM
    I guess if I ask what does rooting mean, that means nope!! lol I'm using root explorer to get to the file to edit. Is that what you are referring to? If so, it allows me to edit but not saving the changes.
    09-12-2010 09:41 AM
    OK, I haven't seen this addressed (although maybe I missed it):

I haven't rooted or renamed any files; I've just done the easy part of the fix -- installing the .apk from the Vibrant, running Launcher Pro, restoring the Google search widget to the home screen.

The search key now goes to Google, which is great ... but only if I'm at the home screen when I press it. If I'm already inside a browser and I press the search key, I still get Bing search. I assume that's because Bing is still set as the browser's default search engine.

Is there any way to change that setting, or otherwise force the search key to use Google when pressed from within the browser?
    09-12-2010 11:59 AM

I haven't rooted or renamed any files; I've just done the easy part of the fix -- installing the .apk from the Vibrant, running Launcher Pro, restoring the Google search widget to the home screen.

The search key now goes to Google, which is great ... but only if I'm at the home screen when I press it. If I'm already inside a browser and I press the search key, I still get Bing search. I assume that's because Bing is still set as the browser's default search engine.

Is there any way to change that setting, or otherwise force the search key to use Google when pressed from within the browser?
    The fix for this is to rename the bing.apk. You need superuser (root) permissions to do this.
    bxojr likes this.
    09-12-2010 12:15 PM
    The fix for this is to rename the bing.apk. You need superuser (root) permissions to do this.
    Beautiful. Thanks!

Wow ... I've been an Android user for a grand total of three days, and I'm already contemplating rooting my phone. There must be something wrong with me...
    09-12-2010 01:23 PM
    Beautiful. Thanks!

Wow ... I've been an Android user for a grand total of three days, and I'm already contemplating rooting my phone. There must be something wrong with me...
    Or maybe, since your an android owner rooting is the norm so your doing ok. No need for medical treetment yet
    09-12-2010 02:45 PM
    Have you tried downloading it again? Are you downloading it from your computer and moving it to the SD card, or are you downloading it directly from the browser on the Fascinate and running it?
    I downloaded it from the computer, then to SDcard. Good point...I will try downloading it directly to the phone. Thanks for the help.

update:

downloading it directly from the phone did the trick. thank you much
    09-12-2010 04:38 PM
    I had the issue of not being able to install from the sdcard. I was getting some type of error saying something about parse. Just rebooted the phone and bam.. installed no problems.. Gotta love it when it's just a simple thing. No more bing for me!
    09-12-2010 06:55 PM
    Are you talking about adding the ".old" to the end of the file?

If so, how do I get to said file? I'm in the same position as this person. I've already installed Astro, but I don't know how to get to the file to try and rename it...although, it seems like root is going to be needed to do this?
    09-13-2010 11:59 PM

I am having a similar issue as bxojr.
    1)I am rooted
    2)I have renamed the Bing Search App: I500_BingSearchAndroid_07152010.apk to I500_BingSearchAndroid_07152010.apk.old
    3)Installed EnhancedGoogleSearchProvider.apk provided in the second post of this thread.
    4)I am not using a third party launcher yet. Still using Touchwiz

When I am at the home screen and push on the search button it uses google, but if I am in the browser and use the search button it pulls up Bing/Verizon search results. BTW, long hold on the search button pulls up Google Voice search.
    09-14-2010 08:43 AM
    Sorry guys, the Browser search is a known problem. That's tied directly into the Browser software, and we haven't been able to get to that one yet. Easiest method is to install Opera or another browser. Then your "hard" search key, or URL address searches will go to Google.
    geocomp likes this.
    09-14-2010 09:29 AM
    Ok Thanks, I guess I hadn't seen that discussed anywhere except in bxojr's post so that is why I posted what I had done.
    09-14-2010 11:10 AM
    No problem, it was my fault for reading too quickly.
    09-14-2010 12:49 PM
    did you guys use the easy root that fixes the lag from the market to root ??
    09-14-2010 04:35 PM
    hey new to the form and fascinate. i loaded the app tomy sd card but not the best with this phone just yet. what r the next steps on how to put this into play. do u have a video on how to do it.
    09-14-2010 09:05 PM
    Ex-Windows Mobile (VzW TP2 on MightyROM) --> Switched to Android (VzW Fascinate).

So, I followed the instructions at the top of this thread.... everything ran great... got the superuser icon, was able to launch "adb shell" to browse over to /system/app and rename a bunch of APKs (per the "Apps that are safe to remove" thread)... including the Bing apk..

However, I've rebooted twice now, and the long-hold on the bottom-right magnifying glass still loads up the black/Bing Voice recognition window, then the Bing results....

If I hit the Microphone icon on the Google Search Widget, I get the google (transparent grey) voice recognition window, and it goes to google.com perfectly.

I've also verified in the /system/app folder twice that the Bing apk is renamed to Bing......old ...

So, I seem to be missing the step to stop Bing from loading at all during bootup ...

short-click on the Magnifying glass does load google correctly.. it's just the long-click that's not working..

I'll continue poking around, but, just wanted to get this out there to see if you guys can give me an answer before I get to it..

Thanks!
    09-14-2010 10:02 PM
    I'm guessing you had already launched Bing prior to renaming the Bing app and therefore need to follow the advise of this post:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/fasc...tml#post340214
    09-15-2010 10:03 AM
    I'm guessing you had already launched Bing prior to renaming the Bing app and therefore need to follow the advise of this post:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/fasc...tml#post340214
    Thank you for this...I was also having issues and had done the Bing update when prompted the first time, so your link took me to the fix. I was able to use Root Explorer to do the rename. Now I'm 100% Google!!
    09-15-2010 11:40 AM
184 12345 ...