03-28-2011 12:39 AM
184 ... 23456 ...
tools
    but as namebrandon said, for 3$, it may not be worth it. I personally ended buying root explorer as I felt it would be useful, regardless... turns out, I needed it's capabilities sooner than I expected as it helped me find the other file I needed to rename.
    Try Super Manager if you need a free one
    09-15-2010 12:10 PM
    If you've gone through the whole process of rooting your phone (look at me, almost sounding like I know what I'm talking about, and yet I got my first phone in about 7-8 years yesterday!!), you can use the same cmd shell to rename the file.

from the regular windows prompt, under the tools folder as previously stated:

adb shell
    cd /system/app
    mv I500_BingSearchAndroid_07152010.apk I500_BingSearchAndroid_07152010.apk.old

But I must point out that the whole process didn't work for me at first. In order for Bing to stop showing up, I also had to rename the following file as well:

/data/app/com.microsoft.mobileexperiences.bing.apk to old

Once I renamed that file, the Bing icon disapeared from the applications, and the search was finally using Google. The difference *may* be that I had updated Bing from the apps folder (prior to finding this thread), after cliking on it and being prompt to install the latest version.
    LOL THANKS for this. Now I have google in touchwiz as well as launcherpro. When I went into my VZW store today to get my free 2nd phone for my husband I had to show my sales rep who has a binged fascinate lol.
    09-15-2010 12:24 PM
    I'm guessing you had already launched Bing prior to renaming the Bing app and therefore need to follow the advise of this post:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/fasc...tml#post340214
    This sure sounded like it should work... I did run Bing a few times before getting involved with the Root'ing.. I do believe I also updated it when it prompted me to.

However, I cannot find the "/data/app/com.microsoft.mobileexperiences.bing.apk" referenced by that post... don't have anything in that directory related to bing.

-----

UPDATE....

Not sure if it just took a few reboots.. but it finally started working when i held down the soft search key for long time.

Thanks to everyone for their help.
    09-15-2010 05:28 PM
    I found it in the /data/data file
    09-15-2010 11:16 PM
    I seem to be having a problem with renaming the file I500_BingsearchAndroid_07152010.apk.old using explorer(not root explorer).It won't stick I keep going back to it and it still stays the same?Any reason why this does this?

EDIT:I went ahead and downloaded Supermanager and it worked just fine changing the file names.
    09-16-2010 12:16 AM
    im so confused on even how to apply these files i rooted my phone but other than using that tutorial i dont know how to use these files outside of the tutorial can anyone help me out with this
    09-16-2010 09:45 AM
    im so confused on even how to apply these files i rooted my phone but other than using that tutorial i dont know how to use these files outside of the tutorial can anyone help me out with this
    The easiest way is to use a program like Super Manager(free) or Root Explorer(pay), which gives you access to modify the files needed to disable the Stock bloatware APK's (ie: rename them so the system can't find them during bootup). With Super Manager, you have to go into the settings to enable Root mode.

Within either of those Apps, you should be able to browse to /system/app and rename the files listed on the first post of this thread. I'd also look at the thread titled "Apps that are safe to remove". For each of those, it's the same thing, rename them to .old for the system to not see the apk.

If you're comfortable with Linux command-prompt, you can use the "adb shell" to navigate to those same directories and do the file renaming..... I would only recommend this if you've got linux knowledge, since it requires use of "ls" and "mv" and other commands which are not the same as the Windows/DOS counterparts (dir and move).

Note... only touch files in those directories that others on this forum have confirmed are OK to touch.... other things, that you feel aren't needed... could be critical to the phone function... just be careful.
    jackmei2 and camika like this.
    09-16-2010 09:53 AM
    The easiest way is to use a program like Super Manager(free) or Root Explorer(pay), which gives you access to modify the files needed to disable the Stock bloatware APK's (ie: rename them so the system can't find them during bootup). With Super Manager, you have to go into the settings to enable Root mode.

Within either of those Apps, you should be able to browse to /system/app and rename the files listed on the first post of this thread. I'd also look at the thread titled "Apps that are safe to remove". For each of those, it's the same thing, rename them to .old for the system to not see the apk.

If you're comfortable with Linux command-prompt, you can use the "adb shell" to navigate to those same directories and do the file renaming..... I would only recommend this if you've got linux knowledge, since it requires use of "ls" and "mv" and other commands which are not the same as the Windows/DOS counterparts (dir and move).

Note... only touch files in those directories that others on this forum have confirmed are OK to touch.... other things, that you feel aren't needed... could be critical to the phone function... just be careful.
    thanks man imma try that right now.
    09-16-2010 09:58 AM
    Excellent! I've attached the apk and will sticky this

Download to SD card and run.
    newbie...how can i get it to DL to sd card...and running it? thanks
    09-16-2010 08:26 PM
    Quick question, I didn't use root explorer, just used the mv command is this sufficient? Seems like it renamed the file properly, just a standard linux command.

Another question.

How can I get these "widgets" up on my home screen as shown here:

http://www.androidcentral.com/verizo...gle-search-fix

Coming from a blackberry so sorry for the noob questions, this is all new to me. Do I need Launcher Pro if I've rooted my phone?
    09-17-2010 01:04 AM
    Hey Dave,

You can use the mv command from the shell, that's fine. Just like linux, anything OS related done from the GUI can be done from the shell. Keep in mind that the adb shell is not a full implementation though, commands like 'cp' won't work. This is the purpose of the busybox binary.

I haven't kept up on the de-bing-ing lately, but last I recall the Google search widget could only be pulled back via 3rd part launcher, in particular Launder Pro.

If you had Launcher Pro (there is a free version) you could just do a long-hold on your homescreen and the widget would be selectable from a list.

You do not need any replacement launcher (ADW/Launcher Pro/etc) if you don't want to use one. Most of us prefer the ability to customize that a 3rd party launcher provides, but it is not necessary.
    09-17-2010 08:15 AM
    Cool got it all working. Got wireless tether going too. This is phone is like a breath of fresh air.

Off topic, but any suggestions on browser or launcher of choice?
    09-17-2010 01:01 PM
    Cool got it all working. Got wireless tether going too. This is phone is like a breath of fresh air.

People often use Launcher Pro or ADW, and Dolphin HD for their browser. All of these choices leave a lot of space for users to customize settings as well as providing cool tools and shortcuts.
    09-17-2010 01:21 PM

Another off topic... What are you using for the wireless tether??? I haven't tried everything out there, but Wireless Techter for Root proved not to work with the fascinate...
    09-17-2010 03:17 PM

Another off topic... What are you using for the wireless tether??? I haven't tried everything out there, but Wireless Techter for Root proved not to work with the fascinate...
    09-17-2010 03:52 PM
    Give 'Barnacle Legacy' a try. I've used it on two fascinates now, without issue.
    09-17-2010 04:10 PM
    @brandon i installed barnacle legacy, but there is also barnacle tether...which one? or both?

@everyone else: i got the launcher pro working with google FINALLY but when i press on contacts, it says it wont complete action...help!
    09-17-2010 08:20 PM
    Wireless Tether works, you just need an older version:
    wifi Tether on Samsung Fascinate - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum
    09-18-2010 06:49 PM
    I downloaded the google .apk file as instructed and opened with Launcher pro but I cant get the widget on the screen. Any one have any more details as to how to acomplish this procedure.

Thanks
    09-19-2010 12:17 AM
    I downloaded the google .apk file as instructed and opened with Launcher pro but I cant get the widget on the screen. Any one have any more details as to how to acomplish this procedure.

Thanks
    Downloading the apk wont install it - navigate to /sdcard/download and you should see the apk there. Click to install, then it will show up in your app tray and you can put it on a homescreen. Hope that helps!
    09-19-2010 10:34 AM
    I installed the .apk file from the sd card using OI file manager. It says its installed but it will not launch and there is no icon in the app tray. I'm sorry about being a bit thick headed but it doesn't seem to want to work for me.
    09-19-2010 10:58 AM
    Help. I hate my new phone, but it is probably bc I am used to a bb. I tried downloading this and I did....but it didn't create an icon or anything. Don't know what it did or where it went.
    09-19-2010 12:06 PM
    Help. I hate my new phone, but it is probably bc I am used to a bb. I tried downloading this and I did....but it didn't create an icon or anything. Don't know what it did or where it went.
    Samsung Fascinate....I forgot to mention that.
    Thanks,
    Karen
    09-19-2010 12:07 PM
    @brandon i installed barnacle legacy, but there is also barnacle tether...which one? or both?

@everyone else: i got the launcher pro working with google FINALLY but when i press on contacts, it says it wont complete action...help!
    Remap the contact icon. Hold click on it and select new shortcut.
    09-19-2010 02:06 PM
    Guys,

Thanks for the help. I have everything working in both Launcher Pro and TwLauncher. The hard search button brings up both google search and google voice in both window environments.

I still cannot get the google search widget to show up in TwLauncher. Has anyone beaten this yet?

I also have the same issue of the browser only using Bing. As Opera cannot size as well as the native browser Opera will not do. I suspect if I uninstalled the browser and reinstalled with the browser APK from a non verizon Galaxy S all would be right with the world. Anyone tried this? Anyone have that apk?

Thanks,

Cris
    09-19-2010 11:08 PM
184 ... 23456 ...