Got it! Google widget works now. Bing is dead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm interested to know if anyone has broken any ground on searches made through the stock browser being routerd through vzw/bing? I know I can use dolphin, firefox, opera, skyfire or whatever but I actually like the stock browser. Just wondering if anyone you genius super users have figured it out. Thanks!

Rooted, Bebloated, (mostly)De-Bing'd Fascinate

You can replace the stock browser with the stock browser from the Mesmerize, which is a Canadian version of he Fascinate, and has no Bing

joypin2

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Want to get rid of Bing for Google, confused.

Hi,

Followed the instructions thus far and downloaded the apk. Then, I got the LauncherPro app and not sure what to do from here on my Samsung Fascinate. Help!

kernelpop

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Up and running

Thanks to everybody who posted about rooting and de-binging. My fascinate is now de-binged and my hardware search button defaults to google for type and voice- just what I wanted! I'm trying different browsers right now to find one I like that works with flash. This site is a great resource.:D

richmarylin

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I am a new user to the fascinate and need help!!!!! I loaded your link

From this post, I side-loaded the enhanced .apk

http://forum.androidcentral.com/veri...tml#post338794

but now I do not know what to do. Will the search be all google and will google maps work if I do this? Do you guys have a step by step guide. I know this is a lot to ask for but people like me have no idea and this bing app is for the birds. Please help.

anon(95804)

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Hey I've got a noob question:

I've had my phone for couple of days now and have got it succesfully rooted. But my "de-Bing" process has experienced a hiccup. So i've got a couple questions.

1. How do i get the hard search button to go straight to Google?
2. Is there a way to fully integrate google without Launcher Pro?

anon(95804)

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Hey I've got a noob question:

I've had my phone for couple of days now and have got it succesfully rooted. But my "de-Bing" process has experienced a hiccup. So i've got a couple questions.

1. How do i get the hard search button to go straight to Google?
2. Is there a way to fully integrate google without Launcher Pro?

Nevermind.... I did a little more reading and fixed my own problem....

sguthrie04

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
This is great, thanks!

Hi guys, thanks for the link and advice; great forum. I tried a bunch of other things to get Google back as default, and this is the only one that actually fixed it.

One thing: does anyone else still encounter the occasional Bing "flareup"? I've found the Google search works 100% of the time through the search bar widget, but every once in a while when I use the magnifying glass, I'll get Bing instead. Usually happens whem I'm already in the Browser and have multiple pages open; maybe it's reverting back to Bing on the secondary page(s)?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Steve

Samsung Fascinate
Launcher Pro

mattman587

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I just went through all 16 pages and didn't see this mentioned or maybe it was and I didn't understand.

I go all the way through and have the google widget installed on my homescreen using launcherpro. Everything works for a search or 2 and then it basically freezes up on me. As far as I can tell, the only thing that corrects the issue is to restart the phone and then I get another search or two from the widget. Is there a permanent fix and has anyone experienced this issue? I haven't renamed the bing apk yet and wasn't sure if that will fix the issue. All I did was download the new google search, and launched using laucherpro.

Any comments?
Thanks
Matt

dizzle451542007

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Debinged ???

Ok so ive rooted my phone now running on jt05 clean, voodoo 5 1221 kernel ive got google at my search button but if i enter a sitename wrong it defaults to bing any way to fix that???

Beckdawg28

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Great thread guys. I am a new Android user and very new to the Fascinate. I followed the steps here but I think I made launch pro my default and now cant get back to my previous view. Is there a way to install the google search bar using my previous setting? Thank you!

afbar1114

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
thanks it worked with this and the new update i am loving the phone again wish the 3.5mm worked when docked but cant complain now that bing is gone and gps is great

Status
Not open for further replies.