Got it! Google widget works now. Bing is dead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

redboneqt

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I went through all of the previous posts and watched Cory on the video. I want to confirm that I need Root Explorer before I purchase it in oder to change the name of the file to .old. BTW, those instructions were right on the money! Can anyone confirm the Root Explorer is a pay app please. I only saw one in the Market.

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
I went through all of the previous posts and watched Cory on the video. I want to confirm that I need Root Explorer before I purchase it in oder to change the name of the file to .old. BTW, those instructions were right on the money! Can anyone confirm the Root Explorer is a pay app please. I only saw one in the Market.

You don't need it, you can rename it from the shell. However, knowing the problems you ran into rooting your device, I'd say just pay $3 or whatever, and make it easy on yourself. You need a file manager capable of renaming files, that can run with superuser privileges.

outergarage

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Which file manager are you using? Try Astro or Root Explorer if you haven't already.

Astro says something a little different. Can not open /sdcard/EhancedSearchProvider.apk as APK File

I will try to rename it as see if that does the trick.

Update:

Nope...I must be missing something.

1. copied file to sdcard
2. unmounted usb
2. tried opening it from several installers..no go.

Last edited:

redboneqt

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
@namebrandon
A little credit please... how do I find the shell to change the name? Is there a youtube video? I'm a visual learner, so if I can watch it, I can do it!

enriqueb99

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
root explorer not needed if just for that

If you've gone through the whole process of rooting your phone (look at me, almost sounding like I know what I'm talking about, and yet I got my first phone in about 7-8 years yesterday!!), you can use the same cmd shell to rename the file.

from the regular windows prompt, under the tools folder as previously stated:

adb shell
cd /system/app
mv I500_BingSearchAndroid_07152010.apk I500_BingSearchAndroid_07152010.apk.old

But I must point out that the whole process didn't work for me at first. In order for Bing to stop showing up, I also had to rename the following file as well:

/data/app/com.microsoft.mobileexperiences.bing.apk to old

Once I renamed that file, the Bing icon disapeared from the applications, and the search was finally using Google. The difference *may* be that I had updated Bing from the apps folder (prior to finding this thread), after cliking on it and being prompt to install the latest version.

Reactions: Hook33 and cdil1

redboneqt

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
@ Enrique, when you say Windows prompt, that means connecting my phone to the computer and following your instructions? Are they step by step instructions?

enriqueb99

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I have read so many threads... I may be confused as to what I found where... yes, connecting to your computer exactly the same way as you did when rooting your phone. You connect the usb cable (I'm assuming the USB debugging connection must still be enabled... but I haven't tried without), then launch cmd.exe from windows. From cmd, change directory to the sdk tools folder, as in the instructions for rooting the phone... then follow the steps above.

enriqueb99

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
but as namebrandon said, for 3$, it may not be worth it. I personally ended buying root explorer as I felt it would be useful, regardless... turns out, I needed it's capabilities sooner than I expected as it helped me find the other file I needed to rename.

enriqueb99

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
one final comment, or question this time... should I worry about changing the password on the su, to avoid the "Rick-Roll" episode mentioned elsewhere?

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
@namebrandon
A little credit please... how do I find the shell to change the name? Is there a youtube video? I'm a visual learner, so if I can watch it, I can do it!

Sorry man, wasn't trying to insult you. It's just that with root privileges you can do just about anything to your phone, and it's not going to ask you "really? you sure you want to do that?". It's just going to do it, regardless of if it's going to brick your phone or not.

I guess my point is that if someone can't get into the shell on their phone, they should learn a bit more before trying to operate that shell with superuser rights. If you're a visual person, than root explorer would be great, it's obviously visual. Point to the file, hold, and rename.

THat being said, the basics are as follows..

to open a shell..
adb shell [enter]

then to switch to root..
su [enter]

from there you use the file move command 'mv to move/rename a file.

mv originalfilename newfilename [enter]

that's it!

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Astro says something a little different. Can not open /sdcard/EhancedSearchProvider.apk as APK File

I will try to rename it as see if that does the trick.

Update:

Nope...I must be missing something.

1. copied file to sdcard
2. unmounted usb
2. tried opening it from several installers..no go.

Have you tried downloading it again? Are you downloading it from your computer and moving it to the SD card, or are you downloading it directly from the browser on the Fascinate and running it?

redboneqt

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
@ namebrandon, not offended at all. It did take me a long time to get that darn thing rooted! Dang! Anyway, just purchased ;) Root Explorer. I changed the Bloackbuster name to .old and it accepted it! Can't wait to unload all of this extra stuff on this phone. Thanks for the assistance guys! BTW, I'm a female and can't undertand why my picture doesn't show up with my posts! here we go again!

rgm1266

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I ca get to the task of renaming the file. When I edit the file and add ".old" to the end of the file, it works. But for some reason it doesn't save the changes. Any ideas?

Also, will I need to configure the search button on the right to search via google?

Thanks

rgm1266

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I guess if I ask what does rooting mean, that means nope!! lol I'm using root explorer to get to the file to edit. Is that what you are referring to? If so, it allows me to edit but not saving the changes.

bxojr

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
OK, I haven't seen this addressed (although maybe I missed it):

I haven't rooted or renamed any files; I've just done the easy part of the fix -- installing the .apk from the Vibrant, running Launcher Pro, restoring the Google search widget to the home screen.

The search key now goes to Google, which is great ... but only if I'm at the home screen when I press it. If I'm already inside a browser and I press the search key, I still get Bing search. I assume that's because Bing is still set as the browser's default search engine.

Is there any way to change that setting, or otherwise force the search key to use Google when pressed from within the browser?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton