Got it! Google widget works now. Bing is dead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan301.storm

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
im so confused on even how to apply these files i rooted my phone but other than using that tutorial i dont know how to use these files outside of the tutorial can anyone help me out with this

TripSixes

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
im so confused on even how to apply these files i rooted my phone but other than using that tutorial i dont know how to use these files outside of the tutorial can anyone help me out with this

The easiest way is to use a program like Super Manager(free) or Root Explorer(pay), which gives you access to modify the files needed to disable the Stock bloatware APK's (ie: rename them so the system can't find them during bootup). With Super Manager, you have to go into the settings to enable Root mode.

Within either of those Apps, you should be able to browse to /system/app and rename the files listed on the first post of this thread. I'd also look at the thread titled "Apps that are safe to remove". For each of those, it's the same thing, rename them to .old for the system to not see the apk.

If you're comfortable with Linux command-prompt, you can use the "adb shell" to navigate to those same directories and do the file renaming..... I would only recommend this if you've got linux knowledge, since it requires use of "ls" and "mv" and other commands which are not the same as the Windows/DOS counterparts (dir and move).

Note... only touch files in those directories that others on this forum have confirmed are OK to touch.... other things, that you feel aren't needed... could be critical to the phone function... just be careful.

Reactions: camika and jackmei2

ryan301.storm

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
The easiest way is to use a program like Super Manager(free) or Root Explorer(pay), which gives you access to modify the files needed to disable the Stock bloatware APK's (ie: rename them so the system can't find them during bootup). With Super Manager, you have to go into the settings to enable Root mode.

Within either of those Apps, you should be able to browse to /system/app and rename the files listed on the first post of this thread. I'd also look at the thread titled "Apps that are safe to remove". For each of those, it's the same thing, rename them to .old for the system to not see the apk.

If you're comfortable with Linux command-prompt, you can use the "adb shell" to navigate to those same directories and do the file renaming..... I would only recommend this if you've got linux knowledge, since it requires use of "ls" and "mv" and other commands which are not the same as the Windows/DOS counterparts (dir and move).

Note... only touch files in those directories that others on this forum have confirmed are OK to touch.... other things, that you feel aren't needed... could be critical to the phone function... just be careful.

thanks man imma try that right now.

davewolfs

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Quick question, I didn't use root explorer, just used the mv command is this sufficient? Seems like it renamed the file properly, just a standard linux command.

Another question.

How can I get these "widgets" up on my home screen as shown here:

http://www.androidcentral.com/verizon-fascinate-google-search-fix

Coming from a blackberry so sorry for the noob questions, this is all new to me. Do I need Launcher Pro if I've rooted my phone?

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
Hey Dave,

You can use the mv command from the shell, that's fine. Just like linux, anything OS related done from the GUI can be done from the shell. Keep in mind that the adb shell is not a full implementation though, commands like 'cp' won't work. This is the purpose of the busybox binary.

I haven't kept up on the de-bing-ing lately, but last I recall the Google search widget could only be pulled back via 3rd part launcher, in particular Launder Pro.

If you had Launcher Pro (there is a free version) you could just do a long-hold on your homescreen and the widget would be selectable from a list.

You do not need any replacement launcher (ADW/Launcher Pro/etc) if you don't want to use one. Most of us prefer the ability to customize that a 3rd party launcher provides, but it is not necessary.

davewolfs

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Cool got it all working. Got wireless tether going too. This is phone is like a breath of fresh air.

Off topic, but any suggestions on browser or launcher of choice?

yankdez

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Cool got it all working. Got wireless tether going too. This is phone is like a breath of fresh air.

People often use Launcher Pro or ADW, and Dolphin HD for their browser. All of these choices leave a lot of space for users to customize settings as well as providing cool tools and shortcuts.

rw9

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site

Another off topic... What are you using for the wireless tether??? I haven't tried everything out there, but Wireless Techter for Root proved not to work with the fascinate...

rw9

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site

Another off topic... What are you using for the wireless tether??? I haven't tried everything out there, but Wireless Techter for Root proved not to work with the fascinate...

yevgenchy

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
@brandon i installed barnacle legacy, but there is also barnacle tether...which one? or both?

@everyone else: i got the launcher pro working with google FINALLY but when i press on contacts, it says it wont complete action...help!

Last edited:

pgrott

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded the google .apk file as instructed and opened with Launcher pro but I cant get the widget on the screen. Any one have any more details as to how to acomplish this procedure.

Thanks

aes55

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded the google .apk file as instructed and opened with Launcher pro but I cant get the widget on the screen. Any one have any more details as to how to acomplish this procedure.

Thanks

Downloading the apk wont install it - navigate to /sdcard/download and you should see the apk there. Click to install, then it will show up in your app tray and you can put it on a homescreen. Hope that helps!

pgrott

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
I installed the .apk file from the sd card using OI file manager. It says its installed but it will not launch and there is no icon in the app tray. I'm sorry about being a bit thick headed but it doesn't seem to want to work for me.
:eek:

kelizrm

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
Help. I hate my new phone, but it is probably bc I am used to a bb. I tried downloading this and I did....but it didn't create an icon or anything. Don't know what it did or where it went.

kelizrm

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
Oh, forgot to say it is a Samsung Fascinate

Help. I hate my new phone, but it is probably bc I am used to a bb. I tried downloading this and I did....but it didn't create an icon or anything. Don't know what it did or where it went.

Samsung Fascinate....I forgot to mention that.
Thanks,
Karen

codered18

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
@brandon i installed barnacle legacy, but there is also barnacle tether...which one? or both?

@everyone else: i got the launcher pro working with google FINALLY but when i press on contacts, it says it wont complete action...help!

Remap the contact icon. Hold click on it and select new shortcut.

cshupp

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
De Binging

Guys,

Thanks for the help. I have everything working in both Launcher Pro and TwLauncher. The hard search button brings up both google search and google voice in both window environments.

I still cannot get the google search widget to show up in TwLauncher. Has anyone beaten this yet?

I also have the same issue of the browser only using Bing. As Opera cannot size as well as the native browser Opera will not do. I suspect if I uninstalled the browser and reinstalled with the browser APK from a non verizon Galaxy S all would be right with the world. Anyone tried this? Anyone have that apk?

Thanks,

Cris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox