Got it! Google widget works now. Bing is dead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
I still cannot get the google search widget to show up in TwLauncher. Has anyone beaten this yet?

Not as far as I'm aware. Another reason to use LauncherPro!

I also have the same issue of the browser only using Bing. As Opera cannot size as well as the native browser Opera will not do. I suspect if I uninstalled the browser and reinstalled with the browser APK from a non verizon Galaxy S all would be right with the world. Anyone tried this? Anyone have that apk?

If you've installed the Google "fixes" correctly, the only time you should see Bing by default is if you use the address bar as a search field (or hit the "search" button while in Browser). Everyone has this issue, it's tied into the browser. Try DolphinHD. I like that better than Opera myself.

Yes, replacing the browser.apk has been tried, by myself and others. I personally ended up with a bricked phone.

cshupp

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for letting me know I might brick my phone.

I have solved my browser issue with skyfire.

When you bricked your phone were you able to fix it?

Robo

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Wow what a great forum and a great thread! Anyway I am new to smartphones, android, and the fascinate. I have had it a week today and was able to accomplish rooting and getting google to work. The problem I have is on launcher pro when I use the browser function in the lower right hand of the screen I get VZ search or something or other comes up. Any suggestions why?

Thank you in advance you guys are great with these phones!!!!!

Headhunter

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
anyone know how to make the car cradle app default to google navigation instead of vz navigator?

I'm curious about this as well. Does this have any affect on the Car Cradle options?
If not, is anyone aware of how to have the car cradle default to Google Maps, Google Voice Search, Google Navigation, and Google Search?

Kurolover35

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
How can I accomplish this (google advanced pack) with a Dell Laptop that has standard sized SD Card slot only and I also don't have a $50+ adaptor.
I do have both a 32SD Card and the Micro SD included with the phone.
Thanks to anyone who helps me!

Last edited:

lonzom10

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Perfect!

I followed your instructions and Google now works perfectly on LP and TW. Thanks for all your work on this guys!

Now, has there been any success with integrating Google with the Car Dock screen? Specifically the "View Map", "Voice Search" and "Navigation" options. This would be a huge home-run! Please let us know.

Thanks Again!

Update: I just noticed that the "Voice Search" and "View Map" options in the Car Dock page no longer work? Could this be a result of De-Bing'ing my phone?

Last edited:

fwdixon

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
If you've gone through the whole process of rooting your phone (look at me, almost sounding like I know what I'm talking about, and yet I got my first phone in about 7-8 years yesterday!!), you can use the same cmd shell to rename the file.

from the regular windows prompt, under the tools folder as previously stated:

adb shell
cd /system/app
mv I500_BingSearchAndroid_07152010.apk I500_BingSearchAndroid_07152010.apk.old

But I must point out that the whole process didn't work for me at first. In order for Bing to stop showing up, I also had to rename the following file as well:

/data/app/com.microsoft.mobileexperiences.bing.apk to old

Once I renamed that file, the Bing icon disapeared from the applications, and the search was finally using Google. The difference *may* be that I had updated Bing from the apps folder (prior to finding this thread), after cliking on it and being prompt to install the latest version.

Thank you! The renaming the file in the data sub was the trick. Voice4 and regular search now are google!

Reactions: Hook33

ANDROIDFAN2

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
help

Im new to android and I kno how u guys hate newbies but can any 1 explain to me how to put google search on the fascinate and make the searchs route thru it instead of bing

and also how to change the menu icon flow i saw one that looked like the nexus one flow menu can anyone help me please on how to do these two things
:eek::eek::eek::(:(:(

techboy1980

May 19, 2010
Visit site
First: Congratulations and thanks to all of you who put forth the effort to take this phone from disappointing to perfection. I was willing to put up with the Bing-ness just so I could upgrade from my BB, but now I will actually be proud to flaunt my new Android device. I imagine the conversation with my iPhone fanboy friends will go something like: "I hear you can only use Bing on tha...", "BAM! Do you see the Google? FEAR IT!" I may have some unresolved anger issues...

Second: As newly deflowered Android virgin, I have no experience at rooting, side-loading, or any other deviant phone behavior. I'm willing to bet there are some others like me who converted specifically for this phone. That bing said (see what I did there?), I humbly request on behalf of my self and my fellow newbies that a single guide be compiled that will enable us to root the phone, google-ize it (set up the search button function, widget, etc.), install the lag fix, as well as anything else that would be essential to "optimizing" the phone. I realize this is probably asking a lot and that most of this information is already available, but I haven't been able to comprehend the instructions in the root guide and I would really like to set this phone up the way it was meant to be.

Third: Thanks again for all the work that's been put into this project so far. Without y'all we'd still be stuck in Bing-land.
hey, i just got my samsung fascinate 3 days ago. i'm lovin it, but like you, i'm an android virgin, and have no idea how to root my phone and re-googalize it.
i'm a fairly smart guy, and i'm not a technotard, i just dont know what ppl are saying. did you ever find that step by step guide, and can you refer me to it?
thanks,
- nathan.
nathanr25@gmail.com :cool:

Reactions: afterdark08

Headhunter

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious about this as well. Does this have any affect on the Car Cradle options?
If not, is anyone aware of how to have the car cradle default to Google Maps, Google Voice Search, Google Navigation, and Google Search?

I followed your instructions and Google now works perfectly on LP and TW. Thanks for all your work on this guys!

Now, has there been any success with integrating Google with the Car Dock screen? Specifically the "View Map", "Voice Search" and "Navigation" options. This would be a huge home-run! Please let us know.

Thanks Again!

Update: I just noticed that the "Voice Search" and "View Map" options in the Car Dock page no longer work? Could this be a result of De-Bing'ing my phone?

This....

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
The car cradle app is tied to VZW and Bing, so the only way to get around that is basically for someone to create a new app that has Google services tied to it (or possibly port one over from another device?)

kk802681

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi all, I have a rooted Fascinate (that I LOVE) and successfully downloaded and ran the enhanced google search. I have Google Voice and Google Instant Search downloaded as well.

The Google search works fine when I push the search button once, or use the widget, but any time I do voice search (holding the search button, or touching the microphone in the widget or search window) it goes back to Bing for the voice search.

Any help? Thanks so much

lonzom10

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi all, I have a rooted Fascinate (that I LOVE) and successfully downloaded and ran the enhanced google search. I have Google Voice and Google Instant Search downloaded as well.

The Google search works fine when I push the search button once, or use the widget, but any time I do voice search (holding the search button, or touching the microphone in the widget or search window) it goes back to Bing for the voice search.

Any help? Thanks so much

I believe for the voice search to work you need to rename the Bing apk file. Once this is done, reboot your phone and you should be good to go. Worked perfectly on both mine and my wifes!

Sandnaround

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
hey, i just got my samsung fascinate 3 days ago. i'm lovin it, but like you, i'm an android virgin, and have no idea how to root my phone and re-googalize it.
i'm a fairly smart guy, and i'm not a technotard, i just dont know what ppl are saying. did you ever find that step by step guide, and can you refer me to it?
thanks,
- nathan.
nathanr25@gmail.com :cool:

Here:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/fascinate-roms-hacks/33899-how-root.html
And:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/fas...11-got-google-widget-works-now-bing-dead.html

cyrylthewolf

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Guys... The ONE THING I just can't seem to get done here is getting the actual Google Search Widget on my home screen.

I have the default search and voice search (by holding search 'button') conquered.

I just can't seem to find a way to get the Google Search Widget to show up. It's not in any of the default widget menus of TwLauncher, LauncherPro, OpenHome, etc.

I mean... It's not a big deal. But I kind of want it anyway. Y'know?

Any ideas why the Google Search Widget has NEVER shown up in any of these menus where it seems to have in other people's phones? Even shows up for some people in some of the YouTube videos I've seen.

Also... For anyone who hasn't heard of it... AppBrain is REALLY useful in getting apps installed quickly and syncing your apps. (Good for reinstall purposes later I imagine.)

Just thought I'd mention it. :)

lonzom10

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Try long pressing on the home screen and then selecting the option for "Widgets". Scroll toward the bottom and look for the G icon that says search. I clicked it and this installed the Good Search widget on my Home Screen. Hope this helps.

And yes, I second the vote for App Brain... Very Nice App!

Mudvayne622

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Ok after reading all of these post lets make sure i got this right before i go messing with anything.

1. Root The Phone
2. Install Root Explorer
3. Rename I500_BingSearchAndroid_07152010.apk to I500_BingSearchAndroid_07152010.apk.old
4. Download to SD card and install EnhancedGoogleSearchProvider.apk
5. R.I.P. Bing?

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Ok after reading all of these post lets make sure i got this right before i go messing with anything.

1. Root The Phone
2. Install Root Explorer
3. Rename I500_BingSearchAndroid_07152010.apk to I500_BingSearchAndroid_07152010.apk.old
4. Download to SD card and install EnhancedGoogleSearchProvider.apk
5. R.I.P. Bing?

That should do it. That's how I did mine.

One strange side note, when I first fired up Root Explorer, the system partition was already r/w I set it back to r/o after renaming the file. Perhaps the rooting process left it mounted r/w.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995