03-28-2011 12:39 AM
184 123 ...
tools
    From this post, I side-loaded the enhanced .apk

http://forum.androidcentral.com/veri...tml#post338794

That fixed my hardware button search, and my widget search. I did remove the Google widget I had installed (dropped in the trash), then used LauncherPro to add the Google widget back, and now it's all Google searches.

Woo!

Thanks to Ange who posted that enhanced search .apk.
    09-10-2010 10:13 PM
    DO NOT INSTALL THIS ON DL30 OR EB01 OR IT WILL BE FORCE CLOSE CITY!

Excellent! I've attached the apk and will sticky this

Download to SD card and run.
    09-10-2010 10:29 PM
    Cory.. Did we just go from stock, to root, to killing bing, in under 48 hours? Because according to my watch, we just did..
    09-10-2010 10:34 PM
    I did remove the Google widget I had installed (dropped in the trash), then used LauncherPro to add the Google widget back, and now it's all Google searches.
    And that's an important thing to note. You still have to be running a third-party launcher to get the Google search widget back. (Anybody have a fix for that?)
    delta44 likes this.
    09-10-2010 10:58 PM
    Yeah, that is important. I was more frustrated by Bing hijacking my searches, since I had LauncherPro. I switched back to TouchWiz and nada..
    09-10-2010 11:12 PM
    Cory.. Did we just go from stock, to root, to killing bing, in under 48 hours? Because according to my watch, we just did..
    Lol, yes we did! Loving this phone!!
    delta44 and jbr05ki like this.
    09-10-2010 11:16 PM
    First: Congratulations and thanks to all of you who put forth the effort to take this phone from disappointing to perfection. I was willing to put up with the Bing-ness just so I could upgrade from my BB, but now I will actually be proud to flaunt my new Android device. I imagine the conversation with my iPhone fanboy friends will go something like: "I hear you can only use Bing on tha...", "BAM! Do you see the Google? FEAR IT!" I may have some unresolved anger issues...

Second: As newly deflowered Android virgin, I have no experience at rooting, side-loading, or any other deviant phone behavior. I'm willing to bet there are some others like me who converted specifically for this phone. That bing said (see what I did there?), I humbly request on behalf of my self and my fellow newbies that a single guide be compiled that will enable us to root the phone, google-ize it (set up the search button function, widget, etc.), install the lag fix, as well as anything else that would be essential to "optimizing" the phone. I realize this is probably asking a lot and that most of this information is already available, but I haven't been able to comprehend the instructions in the root guide and I would really like to set this phone up the way it was meant to be.

Third: Thanks again for all the work that's been put into this project so far. Without y'all we'd still be stuck in Bing-land.
    09-10-2010 11:20 PM
    Oh, btw, forgot to mention ... Bad-*** job, everybody!
    09-10-2010 11:30 PM
    Rut ro, one more caveat: Pressing the search button on the phone works. Holding it for voice search still gets routed through Bing.
    09-10-2010 11:33 PM
    Rut ro, one more caveat: Pressing the search button on the phone works. Holding it for voice search still gets routed through Bing.
    Yep, good call. I still get prompted for the MS/Bing EULA for voice search. Ugh.. getting there, but at least the search hijack is gone, and the widget works for LauncherPro peoples.

Baby steps..
    Turtl705 likes this.
    09-10-2010 11:44 PM
    That's weird mine launched Google Voice search
    09-10-2010 11:45 PM
    That's weird mine launched Google Voice search
    I get Google voice search from the widget, but not from the soft "Search" key at the bottom-right of the device. Long hold brings up the bing stuff.
    09-10-2010 11:47 PM
    I do though. Could it have something to do with me downloading and installing Google Voice Search from the market?
    09-10-2010 11:48 PM
    Whoa, it might. Let me try.
    09-10-2010 11:49 PM
    Nah, no go. Wonder what you did on your end.. strange. Luckily, I use voice search about 0.000001% of the time..
    09-10-2010 11:55 PM
    Hell I don't know how, but here is me doing it.

Did you install this?

Edit: the link in post 1, says Voice Search is installed with Google Maps. I would assume you already have that though.
    09-11-2010 12:02 AM
    Guys the only other thing I can think of is that I renamed I500_BingSearchAndroid_07152010.apk by adding .old to the end of it. As you can see in my video I have Voice Search in my app drawer, and it launches with my capacitive search button. I'm also fairly certain I installed Google Search from the market, but I can't find it now. One last thing - I do have Google Voice installed as well.
    09-11-2010 12:15 AM
    Guys the only other thing I can think of is that I renamed I500_BingSearchAndroid_07152010.apk by adding .old to the end of it. As you can see in my video I have Voice Search in my app drawer, and it launches with my capacitive search button. I'm also fairly certain I installed Google Search from the market, but I can't find it now. One last thing - I do have Google Voice installed as well.
    Yep, that did it. Renaming I500_BingSearchAndroid_07152010.apk fixed it.
    Dirrk likes this.
    09-11-2010 12:22 AM
    So this is only going to work if you're rooted then.
    09-11-2010 12:30 AM
    My god I wish I had a Fascinate to help yall play

Awesome work.
    Cory Streater likes this.
    09-11-2010 01:06 AM
    I just went back to stock launcher, and if you rename the bing search apk, and install this apk then when you press the search button in the twlauncher it will also use google. the only thing that is missing on touchwiz now is the widget, which for many isnt a big deal if all other aspects work. great work all
    09-11-2010 01:10 AM
    I'm a newbie to all of this... Just got the Fascinate as my first ever Android device, coming from Blackberry!

I'm not afraid of a command window, so I got the root done without a hitch. However, what file manager are you using to rename this? I am trying Astro File Manager, but when I try to rename I500_BingSearchAndroid_07152010.apk it tells me "Insufficient Privileges."

Please help! What'd I do??
    09-11-2010 01:10 AM
    You need to get a file manager like root manager this will allow that.
    09-11-2010 01:17 AM
    Sorry I meant root explorer
    Orcares likes this.
    09-11-2010 01:18 AM
    Holy crap batman that made all the difference! Thanks!
    09-11-2010 01:33 AM
184 123 ...