How to go back To stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirrk

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
[warn] Adviser Edit: This Method no longer applys please see the stickied threads in the Verizon Fascinate Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks section. [/warn]

Download the attached Files
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/458252/Odin3 v1.3.exe
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/458252/Stock-i500-VZW-System-v2.tar.md5

Remove any lagfixes first!
Check my sig for Lagfix and it will show how to uninstall

Power off your phone
Hold Volume Down while plugging it into USB to your computer

Open odin
Select PDA
Browser for Stock-i500-VZW-System.tar.md5
Hit Start

Thanks to Angel for this I am only posting it because I keep getting the question of how to go back to stock. Check out his OP over at xda his name on there is fallingup
Odin restore file for /system - xda-developers

Last edited by a moderator:

Dirrk

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Will doing this require you to somehow "activate" your phone again or is everything based on Verizon's end?

I have only done this on a device I bricked, the phone was never programmed to begin with but if you do need to activate it it should bring you to the activation screen right away then just hit activate and option 1 or if your at the homescreen type *22899 and no options

Dirrk

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
So you didn't need to take it back?

No I have 2 devices so the one I bricked I kinda figured I would have done it. I used the method I posted on here to bring it back. I knew prior to bricking the device that I would have the method posted on here to bring me back if needed.

N2B8U

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
If I brick my Fascinate can I recover it? I should get mine tomorrow and will follow the instructions i have found here. Thanks for the help.

Martian

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
So, this is required when FROYO comes out then? In order to get the update?

It shouldn't be but it is possible that certain modifications will prevent OTA updates. This should only be necessary in worst case situations (ie. Dirrk's brick)

josue

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Might be getting off topic, but after the new update, will all this rooting and fixing be necessary still?

Reason I ask, is if the update is on the horizon, I'm wondering if I should just wait to root and do the lag fix (already 80% done with the google fix, still need to rename) until after the update, to avoid any fiascos I may create for myself...lol

Dirrk

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
It shouldn't be but it is possible that certain modifications will prevent OTA updates. This should only be necessary in worst case situations (ie. Dirrk's brick)

This is 100% correct. ^
I only posted this so people that needed to go back to factory stock, for any reason, they would have an easy method.
And just so everyone knows rooting did not brick my phone, I intentionally tried to load something I knew probably wouldn't work and it didnt just as I expected.

yankdez

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
must we check usb debugging right after plugging the phone in? random question, but what exactly does usb debugging do?

Dirrk

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
must we check usb debugging right after plugging the phone in? random question, but what exactly does usb debugging do?

It wouldnt matter.

Debugging allows us to connect to the phone using adb (android debugging bridge). To issue linux commands through a shell, install apps, uninstall apps, reboot into recovery and a couple other things

drm1963

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site

elycore

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Is there a official way to restore your phone to original setting by that I mean a clean installation of the OS and everything else that makes it the way it was when we took it off the box?

Since I rooted my phone and took it back to stock, it's been acting weird, navigation doesn't work, maps doesn't work, its way too laggy and just doesn't feel right.

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
Is there a official way to restore your phone to original setting by that I mean a clean installation of the OS and everything else that makes it the way it was when we took it off the box?

Since I rooted my phone and took it back to stock, it's been acting weird, navigation doesn't work, maps doesn't work, its way too laggy and just doesn't feel right.

I would go into Privacy - Settings and do a factory system wipe and start over from scratch. I saw this too, and it was related to the /dbdata files that didn't get reset when I restored the /system partition or wiped the cache.

You'll lose everything data wise that's not saved on your SD card, but it should get you back to normal.

stayqued

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I would go into Privacy - Settings and do a factory system wipe and start over from scratch. I saw this too, and it was related to the /dbdata files that didn't get reset when I restored the /system partition or wiped the cache.

You'll lose everything data wise that's not saved on your SD card, but it should get you back to normal.

This will re-install touchwiz and all files even if you've deleted or renamed some of the stock bloatware?

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
This will re-install touchwiz and all files even if you've deleted or renamed some of the stock bloatware?

Good question, I actually don't know. I've only ever done it in conjunction with a restore of /system from the odin files. I know it will blow away and rebuild /dbdata, and it may pull files from /bml8.. I don't know where the source files come from.

I guess if you're considering doing this, be prepared one way or another to go back to stock everything. Here's how I used it..

phone was bricked.. reflashed kernel, /system, and recovery. Phone booted but OS was "strange". It wouldn't register with Google services, Google Voice would force close, etc.. Just felt "broken". I went into recovery, wiped cache, and did a "restore to factory /systemp wipe". Then I got back into the OS, skipped the registration, went to Privacy -> setting, and did another wipe.

After that I was back to stock, I could register with Google, no more force closes, etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463