Unsigned update (need CWM)

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
Just got done making this.. it's the full update, just unsigned. Since it's unsigned, you need to install it via CWM.. To do that you save this file to your sdcard, boot into CWM recovery, choose install zip file from sdcard, then choose this file.

Before I even begin.. MAKE A BACKUP VIA CWM. DO IT NOW.

This probably doesn't help many of you, but if you're like me, and just renamed an odd .apk here or there, you just rename them back, and you're all set.

Here is the list of .apk's that it checks, and which need to be back to stock

• Email.apk
  • FactoryTest.apk
  • MobileUpdateClient.apk
  • Phone.apk
  • SnsAccount.apk
  • VVMService.apk
  • VisualVoiceMail.apk

There are so many odex files that are patched/checked, I'm not going to bother to list them. If you know which odex files you renamed, put them back. If you don't, wait for someone else to publish a smart update that can handle that.

I wouldn't try this if you have lag-fix installed. I did apply this update on my phone, but I do not have lag-fix installed. Proceed at your own risk.

After this update is applied via CWM, you can reboot. [EDIT - If you want to easily keep root, don't reboot immediately. Scroll down and read Martian's post(s)]. Don't freak out if it hangs a little longer than normal on the Verizon screen. That's normal. We're talking ~90 seconds tops. Longer than that, something is probably wrong. Try flashing CWM again from odin.

You should still have root after this, but if you don't, you can re-flash CWM recovery, use adb shell (while you're in recovery) and copy back the 'su' file from the rooting tutorial to /system/xbin. After that you should have root back.

If all goes horribly wrong, just restore from your backup. You did make the backup, right?

I know this is confusing, and if you're concerned, nervous, etc.. don't do this. Wait, someone else will come out with a simpler method. The fixes in this update are so minor, it's not worth bricking your phone over.

This is really just to get those in the know started on their way.

Last edited:

NOsquid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for taking the time to do this sort of stuff man.

It's a minor update and I'm not confident, so I'll hold off.

dlongb13

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Just an FYI, there is a signed update.zip on XDA that works with CWM as well. Either way thanks for the zip Brandon! Can't wait for some more development to make this phone unreal.

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
You're welcome! If you're talking about the one JT uploaded here, that was actually just the modem.bin update. The file above that I posted is the entire update, 100%, just unsigned.

Careful with that one at XDA (assuming it's the "SCH-I500.DI01 Update" one) it will flash, but then you'll have to use an adjusted script if you want any of the other patches in this update.

I don't think the script checks for the checksum on the modem.bin, so it might mess something up if you run that modem_delta.bin twice. I don't know.

Modem.bin is one file you never, ever want to mess with, unless you have a stock backup (which we do not have at this time).

Best advice I can give you, unless you run CWM and can get those .apk files I mentioned back to stock, just wait it out.

Last edited:

dlongb13

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I had made a back up as soon as CWM was released so I restored to that and just applied your unsigned zip and all is well, thanks for the heads up man!

steeeler#AC

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Thank you namebrandon for putting up this file!

I did install this over the SCH-I 500. DI01 file without any problems. I did, however, did this AFTER making a CWM backup.

Sent while on the go using Tapatalk.

Martian

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Worked Great! - Thanks namebrandon!

I moved back a few apks and all the .odex files I'd moved then applied this update through ClockworkMod Recovery.

Firmware = 2.1-update1
Baseband = S:i500.04 V.DI01
Kernel = 2.6.29
Build = SCH-I500.DI01

EDIT: Spoke too soon. I have root access via adb (have the #) but programs don't have root such as Titanium and Wireless Tether. Guess I will need to re-root after all. Just seems odd...

Martian

Last edited:

Martian

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
OMG of all the stupid things...

After this update in order for apps to be able to run with superuser privileges you need to:

adb shell (you should have the # prompt, if not su)

cd /system/xbin (or /system/bin if your files are there)
chmod 4755 su
chmod 4755 busybox

exit

I had to do this in order for apps to be able to run as root. Two hours of my life I'll never get back figuring this out...

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org

After this update in order for apps to be able to run with superuser privileges you need to:

chmod 4755 su
chmod 4755 busybox

exit

I had to do this in order for apps to be able to run as root. Two hours of my life I'll never get back figuring this out...

Nice job man... I should've tested that, but I actually just shelled back into the phone after the update (didn't reboot) and copied over the su file and chmod'd it, just incase VZW screwed with us there (which I guess they did, just a bit).

Remember that since we have CWM installed, we always have root to fall back on. It uses a modified adb daemon. One of the perks, and why getting CWM on this phone was so important.

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Just got done making this.. it's the full update, just unsigned. Since it's unsigned, you need to install it via CWM.. To do that you save this file to your sdcard, boot into CWM recovery, choose install zip file from sdcard, then choose this file.

Before I even begin.. MAKE A BACKUP VIA CWM. DO IT NOW.

This probably doesn't help many of you, but if you're like me, and just renamed an odd .apk here or there, you just rename them back, and you're all set.

Here is the list of .apk's that it checks, and which need to be back to stock

• Email.apk
  • FactoryTest.apk
  • MobileUpdateClient.apk
  • Phone.apk
  • SnsAccount.apk
  • VVMService.apk
  • VisualVoiceMail.apk

Are these the only.apk files we should be concerned with? Or should we put back all stock files?

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
To be clear, those are the only .apk files you need to put back. There are a TON of odex files to be put back if you renamed/moved them, so I didn't bother. If you can get the odex files back to stock (I never touched mine), and you can rename/get those .apk files back to stock, you should pass the verification of the script, and the update should take.

See Martian's instructions above for making sure Superuser still works.

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site

chmod 4755 su
chmod 4755 busybox

exit

How do I enter in commands? Sorry for the dumb question - it used to be in the root thread, but it became an easy root.

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
Assuming you updated your PATH variable, from your command prompt (dos prompt) do the following.

adb shell [enter]

Otherwise you need to open the command prompt and go to wherever adb.exe is on your computer, and then do it.

aes55

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
can you tell me what method i should use to regain root? i lost it with the OTA update before i had the chance to get rom manager or cwm or anything...

aes55

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
ok, im on a mac - so you think i can just use the steps cory posted - what about just doing these steps:

chmod 4755 su
chmod 4755 busybox

exit

should that work as well? i still have superuser app etc, but nothing will run...

aes55

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
excellent. i'll get that root back asap.

one more thing - your OP on CWM said to uninstall lag fix, but there are a lot of people bricking by doing that uninstall. is there a proper way to do it before i give CWM a try once i get root back?

THANK YOU

stayqued

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Jesus, can't wait to get home after work today and get rid of that damned signal lost notification. It beeps on the subway all the time, interrupting my music and annoying myself and people around me.

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
excellent. i'll get that root back asap.

one more thing - your OP on CWM said to uninstall lag fix, but there are a lot of people bricking by doing that uninstall. is there a proper way to do it before i give CWM a try once i get root back?

THANK YOU

You can wipe your data, or if you know which method you used, search around and see how others have un-done it. Dirrk's method used a batch file that had an easy un-install. If you used the one-click, you'll have to find a post telling you how.