How to Escape the Force Close Loop of Hell

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Yesterday morning, after an attempt to install the Samsung keyboard from the Vibrant, I found myself in a force close loop after rebooting. The Fascinate was able to boot past the Verizon logo, but once at the "home screen", I saw a steady stream of TW, acore, and a bunch of other FC popups.

No problem, I thought. I figured I could just follow the How to go back to stock sticky. However, no matter how many times I flashed the Odin restore file, my phone would go into an endless force close reboot after the Verizon logo. Somehow I managed to totally corrupt my 32GB SD card in the process. OMFG, I thought. 2 hours later I was at the Verizon store buying a replacement. 8 hours later, I had read through enough threads and posts to finally cobble together a solution. In the process, I read where other people have had this issue after applying the lag fix. I think I've seen a few other instances of it too, and several other desperate cries for help.

So here's how I fixed it (I want to thank namebrandon from the AC forums and wasupwithhuman from the XDA forums for their contributions):

Note: If you've already downloaded Odin before you can skip steps 5 & 6 below.

1) Download this CWRecovery File.
2) Power off phone.
3) Press and hold the volume-down key.
4) Plug your Fascinate into the computer via USB cable.

You should now see a gigantic yellow triangle and your phone will be in download mode. You can now release the volume key.

5) Download the Odin executable from here.
6) Open Odin.
7) Click on the PDA button.

Triple check that you pushed the PDA button. Do NOT click the Phone button prior to step 8. Click the PDA button. If you choose Phone, you will have bought your Fascinate a one-way ticket to hell.

8) Choose the CWMrecovery.tar file you downloaded in step 1 & then click the Start button in Odin.

The phone will reboot when finished & will continue to force close. Do not panic. The Fascinate can be unplugged from your computer at this point.

9) Download the attached update.zip (CWR) file (thanks namebrandon).
10) Move update.zip file to SD card (you will likely need an SD card reader to do this).
11) Power off Fascinate (takes a bit to power off).
12) Press and hold the volume up and the volume down keys at the same time.
13) Press and hold the power button.
14) Release the power button when you see the Samsung logo.

You should now see "Android System Recovery <2e>" at the top of your screen. Reboot system now will be highlighted.

15) Press the volume down button, once, to highlight the option to apply sdcard:update.zip. Then press the home button to select and apply the update.

Once flashed, the Fascinate will reboot into Clockworld Recovery. Let it be, while you complete the next steps.

16) Download this Stock Nandroid Image. (thanks wasupwithhuman @XDA).
17) Remove the SD card from your Fascinate and insert into computer with an SD card reader.
18) Create a folder on your SD card called clockworkmod.
19) Create a sub folder inside of clockworkmod called backup.
20) Unzip the file downloaded in step 16 and place the 2010-09-21.18.31.12 folder inside the backup folder you created in step 19.
21) Remove SD card from computer and insert into Fascinate.
22) In CWM select backup and restore -> restore -> 2010-09-21.18.31.12 (use the volume rocker to highlight menu options and the power button to execute the highlighted item).

Once complete, the phone will reboot and you should be out of the force close loop of hell.

Last edited:

SteveC

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
I wish this was posted a couple of days ago. That way I'd still have the Fascinate with a GOOD GPS instead of this one, maybe. :). However, mine would do nothing with Odin (or Odin could do nothing with the phone). Odin would not recognize the phone in the download screen. I don't know why.

I'm shortly going to root the new one. I will stay a mile or so away from ROM Manager and Clockwork there. When a Fascinate ROM shows up there, I will give it a look. Maybe theit Fascinate and CWM issue will be resolved by then. I will be sure to use the CWM thread here to install. Looks like rooting the new phone will be necessary to "maybe" fix the GPS.

good90033

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Help!!!

My Fascinate is stuck in doing the FC can anyone help me get it back also im on a mac. Also send it back to verizon and exchange it for will there be a problem if i do? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

derichio02

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Can some please host the file elsewhere. I cant seem to download it, it gets to about 1mb and fails every time. Thanks to anyone who can. I am also in the loop of hell when all i did is boot into recovery and wipe my data and cache and I wasnt even rooted LOL.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
My Fascinate is stuck in doing the FC can anyone help me get it back also im on a mac. Also send it back to verizon and exchange it for will there be a problem if i do? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, but you're going to need Windows to run ODIN, either using Bootcamp, and possibly Parallels (untested).

Can some please host the file elsewhere. I cant seem to download it, it gets to about 1mb and fails every time. Thanks to anyone who can. I am also in the loop of hell when all i did is boot into recovery and wipe my data and cache and I wasnt even rooted LOL.

Try this link: http://rapidshare.com/files/422890169/update.zip

Mirror: http://www.4shared.com/file/3QsxBMlH/update.html

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Yes, but fixing the FC loop isn't as daunting as it might seem. That said, if you don't have access to a PC, then an exchange is obviously your only choice.

aecky01

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
New to Android and hacking. I just want to clarify that this is basically just an emergency install of CWM, and flashing a stock ROM. If you already have CWM and your phone backed up this isn't a probably, right? You would just flash your backup ROM.

Appreciate all the help, trying to learn as much as I can about recovery before digging into rooting and custom ROM's too much.

kipnukmals

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
I have a problem with your solution to the error loop - In following your instructions When i boot into the "android system recovery" and choose " apply sdcard/update.zip" and press the home button it says the following:

#Manual Mode#

-- Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:failed to open/sdcard/update.zip(no such file or directory)
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted

I have followed your instructions to the " T " but cannot get passed this part of the solution so i have not been able to reboot into the CWRecovery Utility to finish the process.

Hopefully you or someone else sees my error and can supply the solution. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
I have a problem with your solution to the error loop - In following your instructions When i boot into the "android system recovery" and choose " apply sdcard/update.zip" and press the home button it says the following:

#Manual Mode#

-- Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:failed to open/sdcard/update.zip(no such file or directory)
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted

I have followed your instructions to the " T " but cannot get passed this part of the solution so i have not been able to reboot into the CWRecovery Utility to finish the process.

Hopefully you or someone else sees my error and can supply the solution. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

you need to place the update.zip that is attached to the first post in the root of your sd card.

the error is saying there is no update.zip found, and thus it's not running anything.

Reactions: kipnukmals

GetOnMahLevel

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
i'll thank you once i find out this works cory! j/k..

i could've sworn i did something different last time and it worked just fine.. but i cant remember for the life of me what it was..