I'm only a tad bit zippier after the Voodoo install. And i do still get lag a quite a bit periodically... I'd say it feels 10% less laggy then before.

Coming from the iPhone I had big hopes about this phone. It has a ton of nice features but the iPhone OS had 0 lag. None zip, zero. It was smooth as silk.

It seems like Android is all about customability in interfaces. I really don't need to pimp out my interface, I just need the thing to respond fluidly.

I need the Verizon network more then I need anything else tho so I'm feeling stuck. I'm also considering selling the Fascinate for the Driod X hoping that one doesn't have the lag.

I am an ebay seller... I use the phone for looking up the value of a used item while I'm out at thrift stores, flea markers, and yard sales. Looking up something on the internet on AT&T network was a lesson in patience. I was able to look up 1 or 2 items at best at each place as it ate up alot of time. The 3g network was pretty much non-existant and regular Edge network was too slow.

I'm starting to wonder if the lag doesn't stem from the fact that theres a zillion things running on the phone and theres a short supply of memory.

I had high hopes for Voodoo but I'm just not satisfied. No offense to anyone that works on that project... I appreciate everything you guys put into it for everyone!

I hope I didn't offend anyone... I'm a lurker here and enjoy the tweaks and insight I learn about my device. I'm not trying to start a flame war.

Just ranting about my experiences coming from the iPhone.. figured I'd get more insight by being more talkative about it then just lurking.
    10-16-2010 04:35 PM
    What kind of lag are you experiencing? Is it slow opening apps, or opening web pages, etc.
    If we know what is slowing you down, maybe we can come up with a fix.
    10-16-2010 06:12 PM
    Also, in order to help you better, please list all applications your are using.
    10-16-2010 06:28 PM
    Oh you guys rock thanks-

I use ADW Launcer because touchwiz was laggy. I do see a thread about using Vibrant touchwiz apk and been meaning to try it.
    All widgets on touchwiz have been taken off.

I don't use Advanced Task Killer anymore after reading that its not good for the phone so you can rule that out.

Widgets on ADW I use are a 4 day weather, don't recall the name of it. Its on my main screeen with 4x1. I use a 1x1 widget to display the date. Weird I have to use a widget to have the date handy. A lockscreen date display would be great if you have any ideas on that.

Uhh lets see... I use K-9 Mail for syncing to 3 of my email accounts and Yahoo Mail for a yahoo account (ebay sales notifications thru this one).
    I use Google Voice for texting
    Google maps for GPS duty.
    Car Home for in-car convenience.
    Pandora for music when I'm sick of my own.
    Music PlayerPro for my own music on the SD card. I use a widget from PlayerPro on one of my home screens (uses a full home screen page).
    Ptk Auction for looking stuff up on ebay.
    iSyncr and iSyncr Wifi to wirelessly (and wired) sync to itunes playlist.
    Dolphin for web surfing.
    I installed about 2 or 3 keybaords but never use them as I didn't realize Swype couldn't be used with them. (I wanted bigger letters)
    Astro and Root Explorer for file management.
    Cache Cleaner but I've only used it twice- not sure if its doing anything good.
    Barcade Scanner to download apps from the market. Was useful to find ADW launcher cuz theres a billion themes for it on the market making it hard to find the original program.
    I have a wireless tether app because I was curious about the technology. After finding one that worked I never used it again.
    Vlingo for voice lookups but its no google so I don't use it much.
    Tunesync
    Torrent-fu for adding torrents away from home (only used it once)

I'm rooted. Installed the Voodoo fix with the #2 option and no overclock. I made a junk folder and moved a bunch of verizon apps over to it instead of renaming. My google widget uses Bing still but my Magnifying glass soft key uses Google. (cant wait for voice actions on google widget- 2.2 only, eh?). I don't use live wallpapers anymore because I wanted to cut out lag (dont care about battery life as i've always got a charging solution).

My mail uses for the phone would be ebay lookups via ebay apps, syncing email once an hour thru 2 apps, music in the car thru 2 different apps and widgets, looking up weather, and quick calling people via another widget. Oh one more widget to toggle the brightness thru 3 different levels.
    10-16-2010 07:17 PM
    Okay - after all that work I put you through, I'm going to tell you that I think you're doing the right things (no task killer, removing Samsung Widgets). None of your apps raise red flags either. I am curious about your use of iSync AND Tunesync, but having both shouldn't cause lag.

The Voodoo fix makes me nervous. Has anyone used it and not had problems, and raved about it's affects? Maybe I'm missing those threads.

What I don't have experience with is ADW Launcher. I have read that it doesn't seem to perform as fast as Launcher Pro. Launcher Pro has several settings that allow you to accelerate its performance, and it really does make a difference. Does ADW have something similar? In LP, you can configure the # of homescreens you have. I only have 3 active out of 7. Can you configure that in ADW? My phone has zero lag and is actually wicked fast. If mine is yours can be too. It's either a 3rd party app causing the problem or one of those widgets. You might try dragging all those widgets to the trash for a half hour or so and see if that affects performance.
    10-16-2010 07:52 PM
    This is not really relevant to the OP but I've used LP and ADW extensively and, when set up with care, I don't see a difference in the two as far as speed is concerned.

Oh, and I haven't had any problems with VooDoo but I'm not necrssarily "raving" about the effects, although I do find my phone much quicker than it was. I'm also OC, but anyway, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Sent from my OC 1.25 VooDoo Fascinate
    10-16-2010 08:09 PM
    As far as having Tunesync and iSyncr its because I tried one and then found the other one days later. I noticed things get renamed after you download them which makes finding things in the app drawer interesting... for example Music Player pro is just called PlayerPro on the icon.
    I just removed Tunesync and all but 1 widget- the one that allows me to change the brightness faster. Great for upping the brightness when I get in the car and its all bright outside and I have my sunglasses on... i can still see the screen. I need it dim in the evening time when I'm driving and its mounted on the dash playing music.

As far as having an Android device I cannot update to the lastest version (2.2 froyo) its pretty disturbing. I went into Verizon with intentions of getting a Droid X and was 'upsold' to the Fascinate.
    Waiting for an update thats already been released is rediculous to me.

I have alot more issues but I'm getting old.. I gotta wait till they pop up again to remember everything!

Ok.. deleting widgets does make things snappier. How many widgets are you running Cory? I can do without most of them I need a solution for brightness and quick music control.

Which reminds me- in the car I use an auxiliry 3.5mm cable to plug into the car to get the music outloud in the car... when I unplug it at my destination the music is then playing outloud via the phones speaker. On the iPhone unplugging from the headphone jack paused or stopped the music. I couldn't find anything in my music players options to change how that functioned.

I am seeing lag still whenever I use the home button to leave an app. I also see some stutter launching an app. I use the back button a ton to leave apps too because I read about that someplace. I have no idea the correct way.
    Deleting that last widget elimates that quite a bit... so maybe its widget causing my problems. I'll have to get back to ya on that.

I'm going to try Launcher Pro and the Touchwiz apk from that other phone next.

Anyone have problems with the softkeys when your on a phone call. I'm not positive but I believe they got pressed and somehow and dropped a call or 2. Never had that problem on iPhone but one of the deciding reasons not to go to iPhone4 was because of the proximity sensor issues. (people were hanging up their calls because the sensor wasnt covered and the onscreen buttons were still active, thus cheeck presses on END)

Thanks for the input guys.. keep it coming!

@thrillhouse847 Oh don't worry your not hijacking the thread. All your input was relevant to what I need/want to know anyhow.
    10-16-2010 08:47 PM
    While 2.2 has officially been released from Samsung, the carriers have to get their hands on it first to tweak it to their network and hardware. So technically we're waiting for the update, but it hasn't exactly been released (in the form we will receive it in at least).

And as far as the soft keys go, it is a known issue that pressing the 'back' button while on a call will end it
    10-16-2010 09:47 PM
    UPDATE:
    I tried LauncherPro and ended up purchasing it to the Plus version to try it further as I was liking what I saw.

Since running a new launcher feels like starting over I haven't added any widgets yet. I wanted to start clean and slowly add stuff to see whats going to start the lag. I've uninstalled some programs I don't use and I've cleared all the widgets off of the other launchers....

LauncherPro runs smooth as butter so far. I am not seeing any of my previous lag at all. The app drawer scrolling is dreamy. I spent some time going thru the LauncherPro options and I've got it where its instant to enter the app drawer... and it is Instant!

The dock on LauncherPro is way better and at the moment I have it set to scroll sideways in the dock for 3 rotations. I've been customizing it to my most used apps and so far my home screens are empty! Feels super snappy that way.

I enabled the debugging memory usage display on the homescreen from the LauncherPro options. I noticed hiding unused apps in the app drawer has made my memory usage drop! Results I can see are nice.. i'll be going thru all the left over verizon apps and hiding them for sure.

So far I'm a ton happier. This is not the end of my thread but I wanted to say thanks for taking the time to listen and respond!

I'm a foot in the right direction now I think!
    10-16-2010 09:53 PM
    Just to throw this out there, but download the ebay app from the market. A heck of a lot easier than trying to navigate the website imo.
    10-16-2010 10:35 PM
    Overall still 70% less lag now... I still have to wait a long time to set up a shortcut!
    10-19-2010 11:04 AM
    UPDATE:
    I tried LauncherPro and ended up purchasing it to the Plus version to try it further as I was liking what I saw.

Since running a new launcher feels like starting over I haven't added any widgets yet. I wanted to start clean and slowly add stuff to see whats going to start the lag. I've uninstalled some programs I don't use and I've cleared all the widgets off of the other launchers....

LauncherPro runs smooth as butter so far. I am not seeing any of my previous lag at all. The app drawer scrolling is dreamy. I spent some time going thru the LauncherPro options and I've got it where its instant to enter the app drawer... and it is Instant!

The dock on LauncherPro is way better and at the moment I have it set to scroll sideways in the dock for 3 rotations. I've been customizing it to my most used apps and so far my home screens are empty! Feels super snappy that way.

I enabled the debugging memory usage display on the homescreen from the LauncherPro options. I noticed hiding unused apps in the app drawer has made my memory usage drop! Results I can see are nice.. i'll be going thru all the left over verizon apps and hiding them for sure.

So far I'm a ton happier. This is not the end of my thread but I wanted to say thanks for taking the time to listen and respond!

I'm a foot in the right direction now I think!
    These LPP stories bring tears to my eyes Best Launcher out there!
    10-19-2010 11:10 AM
    These LPP stories bring tears to my eyes Best Launcher out there!
    agreed!!

ADWhat?!
    10-19-2010 12:12 PM
    I don't get why I see this so much, I have never had any problems with ADW. It always ran fine and never showed a bit of lag for me. That being said, I do use LP exclusively now because I like the scrolling dock feature because it frees up my home screens of icons (not to mention it's generally more customizable).

But performance wise, I found them to be extremely similar as long as one goes through EVERY menu and tweaks EVERY option to suit his/her needs. Maybe I am just one of the lucky ones. Either way, yes, LP FTW!

Sent from my 1.2ghz VooDoo Fascinate
    10-19-2010 12:34 PM
    I have the lag fix and Launcher Pro, and aside from a very slow initial GPS location, the phone has no lag to speak of. I think the smoothness is probably 75% LP and 25% lag fix. While I have had no problems with the lag fix, all it really seemed to do was double+ the Quadrant score. There was/is no corresponding doubling of reaction to touch commands using the phone, at least that are apparent to the user. Note that gaming is nowhere on my list of things I do with the SF.

I am also not too sure that Beautiful Widgets and the lag fix are real compatible. I seem to get a lot of BW FC's since the lag fix. But there has been a few BW updates lately. That may be it as one BW update seems to spawn at least a couple of others to fix something the original update somehow left undone.
    10-19-2010 02:37 PM
    At first I was amazed at the voodoo fix but I have been slowing down as late. Could be some apps I added though. I am still using ADW though. Can you have real icons in the LP dock? I don't like the black and white icons.
    10-19-2010 06:32 PM
    You have the choice of Launcher Pro's black and white icons or using the apps original icon. You also have the choice to use your own icon if you want.

Its nice because you can scroll the dock left and right for 5 more icons, depending on how many rows you want to set up... thus freeing up the home screen...
    I put my app drawer as the middle shortcut of all my docks so everytime i scroll left and right i always have access to the app drawer.

You can also hide unused programs in the app drawer via the Launcher Pro preferences...

After all that, and a small amount of time to get used to it, I have no need for icons on the home screens or widgets and I can access everything fast.
    Still zipping along with little to no lag!
    10-19-2010 11:44 PM
    Geez I'm glad everything is working fou you now. I just got rid of my X and got my pimp *** fascinate. But now I can't seem to find a link with a up to date root method.

Swyped via Fascinate.
    10-22-2010 12:11 AM
    the original root method still works on the fascinate
    10-22-2010 05:48 AM
    Geez I'm glad everything is working fou you now. I just got rid of my X and got my pimp *** fascinate. But now I can't seem to find a link with a up to date root method.

Swyped via Fascinate.
    Flash CWM via Odin, then you have root shell access. All done.
    10-22-2010 07:32 AM
    i just upgraded my wifes fascinate to the voodo 1.2. Im experiencing major lag managing applications, such as when launcher pro has to gather them all together when creating a shortcut to be used for the dock? any ideas? other apps that have to manage applications and shortcuts, the same thing, like folder organizer (which is amazing), and desktop visualizer ... is this just the fascinate in general? i think i noticed it before the upgrade to voodoo as well....
    10-28-2010 01:12 AM
    i've noticed a lag on all the android phones i've used (pretty much all the verizon models) when accessing the list of applications or widgets...
    10-28-2010 02:48 AM
    I have the tmobile G2, no lag on anything...its just my wifes fascinate, even after the voodoo kernel...
    10-28-2010 10:36 AM
    maybe 2.2 will make it faster then.
    10-28-2010 03:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD