How to remove clockwork to restore factory?

denzillion

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Hello

Can someone point me where I get information on removing Clockworkmod to restore my fascinate back to complete stock? I have the stock rom using the "How to restore to factory" but clockwork mod is still there. Thanks

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Hello

Can someone point me where I get information on removing Clockworkmod to restore my fascinate back to complete stock? I have the stock rom using the "How to restore to factory" but clockwork mod is still there. Thanks

Use Odin to flash the stock recovery and kernel back. Then just remove the update.zip file from your sd card, I think that's it.

Reactions: denzillion

denzillion

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Use Odin to flash the stock recovery and kernel back. Then just remove the update.zip file from your sd card, I think that's it.

What does that update.zip file do? Is that some sort of essential file? I don't think so b/c its was placed on the SD card.

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
The update.zip on your sdcard is from CWM. You can remove it, or as I would recommend, rename it. You never know when you might need it, and could be in a situation with no network connection.

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
What does that update.zip file do? Is that some sort of essential file? I don't think so b/c its was placed on the SD card.

I could be wrong, but as I understand it, the recovery (stock or clockwork) is a binary file that's extracted into a ramdisk by the kernel, and then run from there. When you flash CWM with Odin, you're flashing a kernel that's been modified to be able to run recoveries not signed with Samsung's keys. The update.zip is the actual Clockwork recovery.

Reactions: namebrandon

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
I could be wrong, but as I understand it, the recovery (stock or clockwork) is a binary file that's extracted into a ramdisk by the kernel, and then run from there. When you flash CWM with Odin, you're flashing a kernel that's been modified to be able to run recoveries not signed with Samsung's keys. The update.zip is the actual Clockwork recovery.

Close! You're flashing a kernel whose ramdisk includes a modified recovery binary which allows execution of an update.zip that is signed with (Samsung) test keys (which were leaked a while back). You are correct, the update.zip contains the actual CWM recovery script.

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Close! You're flashing a kernel whose ramdisk includes a modified recovery binary which allows execution of an update.zip that is signed with (Samsung) test keys (which were leaked a while back). You are correct, the update.zip contains the actual CWM recovery script.

Thanks, that fills in the few remaining missing pieces of the puzzle... I always like to know exactly how this stuff works. Now if we could just figure out how/where to adjust the sidetone, we'd be golden! :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21