Permanent Clockword Mod Recovery now available

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
I would caution those of you not absolutely needing this to at least hold off on this until Froyo is officially released. We have no idea what that update is going to verify before allowing itself to be applied.

All this saves you for the most part is one extra click. Yes, it's slightly more convenient, but better safe than sorry. If you have CWM installed and working, you don't gain very much by doing this, and you risk increasing your difficulty on future updates. Per Koush, CWM is no longer going to be "permanent" like this, and was not designed by him for the Fascinate to be permanent.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I would caution those of you not absolutely needing this to at least hold off on this until Froyo is officially released. We have no idea what that update is going to verify before allowing itself to be applied.

All this saves you for the most part is one extra click. Yes, it's slightly more convenient, but better safe than sorry. If you have CWM installed and working, you don't gain very much by doing this, and you risk increasing your difficulty on future updates. Per Koush, CWM is no longer going to be "permanent" like this, and was not designed by him for the Fascinate to be permanent.

So to summarize (excuse my unfamiliarity with CWM) this update is simply a means to have CWM be the very first thing you see when booting into the recovery screen, instead of needing to use the "run update.zip" on the stock screen to get into it?

nmyeti

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to echo Brandon's thoughts... read the thread over there, seems like there is more risk than reward doing it this way.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I believe I have this setup but for the Epic. All it does is automatically run the update.zip when you boot into recovery. It's just as easy to click the Run: update.zip.

Fappy Jones

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Nice so it's not really something we need, I'm lazy but I'm not too lazy I can't hit an extra key or two lol.

Sent from my Voodoo'd Fascinate via Tapatalk

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
So to summarize (excuse my unfamiliarity with CWM) this update is simply a means to have CWM be the very first thing you see when booting into the recovery screen, instead of needing to use the "run update.zip" on the stock screen to get into it?

Yes, essentially. The downside to this is that it replaces the stock recovery. Instead of having the option of using stock or CWM like we do now, you get CWM recovery "permanently". If that seems like a step backwards, it is. This is how CWM previously worked, before Koush went to the more modular approach.

Some people just prefer it that way, and there are a few upsides as well, but they're only useful in rare circumstances, like you physically don't have an SD card, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463