Wifi tether question

macthstick

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I rooted the phone and installed barnacle. When I run it it all works great but I noticed 3g mobile hot spot that comes on the phone is also in the running apps ? Is it sending data to verizon on usage. I have unlimited data so paying extra to occasionally connect the laptop or ipad seems stupid. thanks

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Not likely that it is doing anything because you would need to pay the $20/monthly charge to VZ to use thier service. Just like Visual Voice Mail. If you try to use it and don't have it on your account, it will only give you the option to sign up for it. It won't just work on its own and bill you for it later.

o3dodgesrt4

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
just get rid of barnicle. i didnt like it. i used wireless tether for rooted users. its much better. plus it converts ur current 3g service to a wifi. so verizon cant see it. all they see is that ur using the 3g service and downloading stuff. but they dont know how its being done. so they cant charge u as if it was a hotspot. ive been doing it for 2 months now. no extra charges yet.

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Barnicle works the same as Wireless Tether. I use the latter. Verizon cannot legally bill you for any service you have not agreed to their terms of, like 3G Mobile Hotspot. This would be the same as saying they're billing you $9.99 for VZ Navigator when you're using Google Navigation. It won't happen.