D02 Voodoo Lag Fix vs DJ05

thephatp

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Posted this on the XDA forums as well...not sure which place gets the most traction for newbies.

So, I'm pretty new w/ Android. Just flashed with voodoo lag fix D02-Kernel-LV-1250 using Dirrk's instructions. This means that I did the following:
- Rooted (was already done)
- Installed CWM (from instructions here)
- Downloaded D02-Kernel-LV-1250 and put on SD card
- Rebooted to CWM and did a backup
- Booted into recovery and flashed kernel
- Rebooted

Now, I see that DJ05 is released. (I even see stuff about voodoo lag fix for it...didn't know that was available.) So, now I wished I hadn't installed voodoo lag fix, because I hear it is difficult to uninstall.

I've tried to do my own research here, but I really don't want to change messing up my phone, so I'm asking for help here. Here are the threads I have sifted through:
- [KERNEL] Dirrk D02 Voodoo lagfix OC/UV - xda-developers
- [HOWTO] Completely Remove Voodoo Lagfix - xda-developers
- http://forum.androidcentral.com/fascinate-roms-hacks/34819-how-go-back-stock.html
- Instruction to Remove Voodoo Kernel
- Everything you wanted to know about Kernels

Questions
  • What is the trade-off b/w D02 and DJ05?
  • If DJ05 really has the lag fix, is there any benefit of staying on D02?
  • For future reference, how do I know what kernel version I am using (Voodoo4 vs Voodoo5)?
  • Understanding what I've done above, what do I need to do to get to DJ05?
    1. Do I really need to flash to stock and lose everything to get there?
    2. And if so, can I use the backup I made in CWM?
    3. If not, and I have Titanium Backup installed and all apps/data backed up, does it matter if I have to go back to stock?

Sorry for the newbie questions for help, but I really want to make sure I do it right. Any help is greatly appreciated.

FYI, this is what I've looked through for the new stuff available:
- [RELEASE] DJ05 rom, kernel, radio - xda-developers
- [Kernel] OTB Voodoo5 overclocked kernels. DJ05 Fascinate only [Updated 12/16] - xda-developers
- [ROM] Super Clean DJ05 v0.9 - xda-developers

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

NOsquid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Dj05 is a leaked verizon update (may not ever be released officially) that fixes the gps. That is the biggest change. The new Voodoo is nicer, easier to manage, since you can backup/restore nandroids without disabling it. That said, it's not significantly faster IMO. If you are satisfied with your current gps or don't use it, dj05 might be more trouble for you than it's worth at this point.

Whether you lose everything while getting rid of the old voodoo is a toss up. The disable file works for some people, sometimes. If not you need to nuke it. Your backups would make it less painful than it could be.

6spdtls

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
[*]What is the trade-off b/w D02 and DJ05?
[*]If DJ05 really has the lag fix, is there any benefit of staying on D02?
[*]For future reference, how do I know what kernel version I am using (Voodoo4 vs Voodoo5)?
[*]Understanding what I've done above, what do I need to do to get to DJ05?
  1. Do I really need to flash to stock and lose everything to get there?
  2. And if so, can I use the backup I made in CWM?
  3. If not, and I have Titanium Backup installed and all apps/data backed up, does it matter if I have to go back to stock?

1. 1. Both works the same way. But D02 seems little complicated to remove.
    2. Not really. DJ05 has more access to updated roms.
    3. You can't really.....it really doesn't show on your phone. You just have to remember which kernel you just flahsed.
    4. If I were you, I would make a stock nandroid backup first. You have to google search for DJ05 modem. "samsung fascinate freenode irc". Once you get it, flash it using odin. Make sure have your DJ05 Kernel and rom ready too.

Messege me if you're interested in DJ05 stuffs. I can show you why DJ05 roms are better than DI01.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
You have to google search for DJ05 modem. "samsung fascinate freenode irc". Once you get it, flash it using odin. Make sure have your DJ05 Kernel and rom ready too.

Messege me if you're interested in DJ05 stuffs. I can show you why DJ05 roms are better than DI01.

Actually, DJ05 was released on XDA over a week ago... No need to be secretive about it any more

thephatp

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the input. I really want to get to DJ05, because I'm dying to change the theme of my phone (and soon I want to learn how to modify the theme for myself...so if any of you have a good tutorial I could run through, send it my way).

Anyway, I'm going to be leaving town soon, and I don't want to mess up my phone before then and be stuck without it for Christmas. :eek:

So, I guess I'll undo the voodoo lag fix and then re-flash stock when I get back and start over. But, to recap what I should do...tell me if I missed anything or need to do something different...

?? STEPS to Update from Voodoo4 lag fix to DJ05 ?? - Someone please confirm
  1. Download the files linked in this thread first (Radio, ROM, Kernel) and put them on SD Card
  2. Undo the Voodoo Lag Fix
  3. Follow the steps here to remove the Voodoo Kernel (*Question about this one...see below), using the stock images from this thread, and doing a full data wipe.
  4. Follow the steps in steps in the link in #1 to install DJ05.
  5. [OPTIONAL] Maybe use Super Clean DJ05 v0.9
  6. [OPTIONAL] Maybe use OTB Voodoo5 overclocked kernels DJ05 Fascinate
  7. [OPTIONAL]?Themes? See Question below...

So, for Questions about removing the Voodoo Kernel...
- Am I really supposed to install the DJ05 modem prior to starting the removal of Voodoo? If so, why?
- The link refers to an "11/29" kernel that is not linked. Can I just use the stock kernel (from one of the links above in a thread by Dirrk)?

And as for themes...
- How do I install a theme? Is it by flashing a ROM? If so, does it replace the "Super Clean DJ05 v0.9" ROM from above? If so, how do you get a theme but also have the latest updates?

I'm really new to all of this, but I think I'm getting. I'm just not quite sure how Kernels, ROMs, and finally themes all fit together. I'll keep researching that part.

Thanks for the input

NOsquid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Yes use that one, the other one is for the new Voodoo. Adrynalyne's auto uninstaller will wipe data and I think install jt super clean for di01, and then you can find themes for di01 on xda

Dj05 is mostly for the gps.

McBane

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If I just want to install DJ05 ontop of voodoo is that possible? Is there a better version of voodoo that I should be running? I'm running Dirk's 1250 kernel. I like the stock samsung apps, so I'd like to stay with those (Of course I manually debloated it all though from stock verizon, but it sounds like I may have to go back to put DJ05 on it?).

Last edited:

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
It's never "necessary" to install voodoo. The lag which most people experience is caused by the stock rom being bloated with a bunch of really poor apps. When the offending apps are removed from the stock rom, it's very fast with no lag in almost all situations. The voodoo lag fix addresses a very specific issue that only occurs under very specific conditions which most people don't generally see.

If you install a DJ05 rom, you have to use a DJ05 kernel and radio, but that's it, a voodoo kernel isn't mandatory.

McBane

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I thought voodoo fixed a specific issue of the file system on the SD card that speeds up all the apps, like instead of ext3/4 it uses some other weird crap that slows it down, and this is what voodoo was supposed to fix?

My phone runs just as fine with all the bloatware as it did without it, long as I wasn't running them all at once... (not that I want them, just saying the level of bloat doesn't really slow it down unless you're running them)

bdcannon035

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
NOsquid helped me out earlier when I had problems with voodoo, and I think the best thing for someone who is particularly new with flashing kernels, like was at the time, is to do something like stupid fast and do more research on seemingly more complex set ups, ie voodoo + lagfix. I'm pretty content with simply the stupid fast right now while I read into other options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca