Custom Roms Are AMAZING!!

jisley10

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
During my time owning my Fascinate from its launch date I have gone from total noob, to semi noob, to someone who halfway knows something about the beauty that is Custom ROMs/Kernels. The only reason I'm doing this post is to share my love of the ability to completely customize my phone to my liking with a custom Rom and to help anyone who has any questions about flashing ROMS to their device. Please share your ROM of choice is this post, and if there any noobs (it's ok I was one 3 months ago) with questions on taking the flashing plunge, please feel free to ask away!!

Reactions: jbr05ki

jisley10

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Just to share: I am currently running my Fascinate with JT's Super Clean ROM (DJ05) with JT's 1.54 Kernel. The snappiness of these two in comparison to the stock Rom and Kernel are indescribable.

dragemd

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm a mac user and have rooted my vzw fascinate using Corey's mac method successfully. I have Rom manager (premium with clockworkmod recovery), but I have not done anything with Odin. I did however flash Clockworkmod recovery and it now says "current recovery: clockworkmod 2.5.1.0" in the Rom manger. I'm wanting to flash the Superdark rom and a voodoo 5 kernel. So my question is, do I need to do something with Odin or can I just flash by mounting the sd card on my mac and place the downloaded rom and kernel on the sd card and go to "install rom from sd card" inside Rom manger? Hopefully all of this makes sense, but if it does'nt or you need more info just let me know.
Btw, I also have superuser from the market (skipped the superuser step in Corey's instructions), appbrain and titanium backup pro.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
If you plan on going to a DJ05 ROM and kernal you need to flash the DJ05 modem with Odin, otherwise you'll run into all sorts of issues

jisley10

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm a mac user and have rooted my vzw fascinate using Corey's mac method successfully. I have Rom manager (premium with clockworkmod recovery), but I have not done anything with Odin. I did however flash Clockworkmod recovery and it now says "current recovery: clockworkmod 2.5.1.0" in the Rom manger. I'm wanting to flash the Superdark rom and a voodoo 5 kernel. So my question is, do I need to do something with Odin or can I just flash by mounting the sd card on my mac and place the downloaded rom and kernel on the sd card and go to "install rom from sd card" inside Rom manger? Hopefully all of this makes sense, but if it does'nt or you need more info just let me know.
Btw, I also have superuser from the market (skipped the superuser step in Corey's instructions), appbrain and titanium backup pro.

There are two things you need to do before you get started flashing Custom Roms and Kernels in Rom Manager
1. You need to push ClockWorkMod Recovery File to your phone via Odin
- Here is how to do that. . .
Clockworkmod installation how to for windows / *nix - xda-developers
2. If you plan on upgrading your device to the DJ05 build (which I would highly
recommend), you need to flash the DJ05 Modem to your device via Odin.
- Here is how to do that. . .
[ODIN] Full DJ05 Odin Package - xda-developers

Good Luck and let me know how it goes!

Reactions: dragemd

infid3lkastro

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
i've always been a tweaker so I love custom roms. on my galaxy vibrant, I have cwm recovery + voodoo w/a jl5 kernel (nero rom v3). also, my optimus (my daily driver) has thunderROM v1.5 w/a stock kernel. I love both android devices and the buttery smooth efficiency they run with.
idk much about the fascinate but I know one can flash clockwork recovery with just a click via rom manager. the only time I had to use odin, I'd soft-bricked my galaxy and I was restoring to stock firmware.

Sent from my Optimus via Tapatalk

jisley10

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
For some reason with the Fascinate the ClockWork Recovery via Rom Mananger doesnt seem to install properly. I was forced to use Odin after attempting to use Rom Manager several times.

dragemd

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
For some reason with the Fascinate the ClockWork Recovery via Rom Mananger doesnt seem to install properly. I was forced to use Odin after attempting to use Rom Manager several times.

I believe this is the case for me as well. I tried rebooting into recovery from Rom Manager but instead of going into Clockworkmod Recovery it went into the Samsung (Se2) recovery.

Are you a Mac user? The reason I ask is I'm wondering if I need to just download the one zip file from the link you gave me. I'm not sure, but I'm under the assumption that it contains the samsung driver, odin, and clockwork mod recovery?

dragemd

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
And I'm also guessing it should look more like this:
$cd ..
$cd ..
$cd and*
$cd tools
$./adb push /path/to/redbend_ua /data/local
$./adb shell
$su
$chmod 755 /data/local/redbend_ua
$./data/local/redbend_ua restore /sdcard/zImage /dev/block/bm17
$./data/local/redbend_ua restore /sdcard/zImage /dev/block/bm18

I'm really sorry to be such a bother, I'm just really new to this and can't afford to be bricking my phone. Thank you for all of your help.

jisley10

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I am a windows user but the link contains a download for Mac users as well. The samsung drivers will have to be downloaded elsewhere though.

jisley10

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Man, I got it and it works great. I had v1.54 and didn't see any problems. It's a shame that geeknik isn't supporting the Fascinate anymore.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Just to share: I am currently running my Fascinate with JT's Super Clean ROM (DJ05) with JT's 1.54 Kernel. The snappiness of these two in comparison to the stock Rom and Kernel are indescribable.

+1

Honestly this a tweakers delight device. When I first got the phone I was constantly fiddling with settings and widgets and ooohing and ahhhing with different wallpapers and such. Nowadays I am flashing different kernels and roms just see what they do. Also changing different rom themes to see what they look like.

I went from total nooob to fairly comfortable doing these hacks in just one short month of ownership. Pretty scary at first but got the hang of it just by hanging in these forums and reading and following directions.

To all you unrooted ppl out there...you CAN do it.

rd0311

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

I had the same problem with rom manager. Several failed attempts and i had to flash cwm via odin. No problems at all after that.

I have to say before I flashed cwm via odin i was very frustrated.

TheANARCHY

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site

I can only speak for myself here but... I would stay far, far, far away from VooDoo. It is a serious mess trying to get that cleaned off your phone if you want to do anything else. I myself am very new to rooting and flashing ROMs but I learned a very hard lesson just these last 2 days about Voodoo. There are plenty of other options for custom ROMs and kernels that are far easier to deal with if you want to change them. Just my 2 cents anyway.;)

aes55

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I believe this is the case for me as well. I tried rebooting into recovery from Rom Manager but instead of going into Clockworkmod Recovery it went into the Samsung (Se2) recovery.

Are you a Mac user? The reason I ask is I'm wondering if I need to just download the one zip file from the link you gave me. I'm not sure, but I'm under the assumption that it contains the samsung driver, odin, and clockwork mod recovery?

you must flash the CWM kernel via odin - flashing in ROM Manager alone will not work. you must do both.

i am a mac user, and unfortunately, odin is only for PCs. i installed Windows7 on my mac via bootcamp and use that whenever i need to odin... so you need to do that, or find a friend with a PC that will let you run odin (it only takes 2 min once you have the program and files ready).

NOsquid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Odin is really handy in a pinch if you're going to be hacking this phone. XP partition only takes 10gb and is good enough for Odin.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams