[ROM] ALPHA - AOSP for Samsung Fascinate by jt1134

jisley10

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
It looks like Jt is working on a build for pure Google on the Fascinate. AOSP is Android Open Source Project, so I assume it's just stock Android. I am just as curious as you are about this build but I'm not quite ballsy enough to flash it to my phone. I hope someone with some knowledge of this build posts some info!

NOsquid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
It's AOSP, built from source, this is Android as Google intended it, as it was delivered to Samsung, before Samsung shat on it. This is why ROMs like Cyanogen are popular. All our other ROMs currently are based on/run on top of Touchwiz.

This should run more efficiently, but it's alpha - lots of stuff doesn't work yet.

zakth

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Could have swore that I replied to this already... maybe my post was eaten. Anyhow, installed this onto my phone using the DL09 radio and everything that's reported as working appears to be doing just fine. MMS still does not work even with a different radio which is what I was hoping to see.

jisley10

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Could have swore that I replied to this already... maybe my post was eaten. Anyhow, installed this onto my phone using the DL09 radio and everything that's reported as working appears to be doing just fine. MMS still does not work even with a different radio which is what I was hoping to see.

Is it true that the DL09 doesn't have any advantages over DJ05. I heard that DL09 was created due to DJ05 wasn't working properly with the VZW bloatware.

zakth

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
There are no apparent differences between DJ05 and DL09, my mention of it was just so that people who have DL09 and want to try the AOSP build can do so without fear of their phone dieing a horrible death. According to the notes this alpha build was not tested with anything other than DJ05.

I think I have found something to hold me over until we get 2.3 (yeah, I would for-go 2.2 for this AOSP build).

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Is it true that the DL09 doesn't have any advantages over DJ05. I heard that DL09 was created due to DJ05 wasn't working properly with the VZW bloatware.

No apparent advantages other than 9 being a bigger number than 5. That said, I "upgraded" because someone mentioned seeing better signal strength, but like so many of these things, the placebo effect seems to be strong - meaning I haven't seen any objectively measurable increase in signal strength myself. But DL09 is running fine, so there's no point downgrading to DJ05 now that I'm all set up.

As for the reasons why DJ05 wasn't released, it was all speculation. Clearly there was some reason Verizon chose no to release it, but as always, we're totally in the dark as to why.

nuker2guy

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
I think that DL09 has less popping when playing mp3s and the like. When I was on DJ05, using music, there would be popping and skipping, especially when using other apps too, but with DL09, there is almost none.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I think that DL09 has less popping when playing mp3s and the like. When I was on DJ05, using music, there would be popping and skipping, especially when using other apps too, but with DL09, there is almost none.

try some differant kernels. mine doesnt pop at all. jt 12/12 works great

zakth

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I must retract my previous statements as I discovered that I was unable to receive or send any sort of messages (sms or mms). I tried it with both the DJ05 and DL09 radios. Once they make some more progress with this AOSP build I'll try it again.