DJ05 Rom, kernel and radio

Bwangster12

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Based on a post that I found regarding the best rom and kernel combo, Cory responds that he flies with DJ05 kernel and ROM and chooses not to install any custom ROMs over this. The more I read, the more I feel the same way about having a "stock" or experience that Samsung intended.

That being said... is this a good guide to follow to get DJ05 installed fully and properly?

Fascinate Rom: DJ05 and Beyond - All You Need To Know | Mobile Technology Deals and Help

Also, I just wanted to make sure I understand... Cory mentions in his post that the person who put this together "Adrynale" already removed Bing for us?

NOsquid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
That guide is fine.

I don't think Bing would be removed from the stock build. You can do it yourself pretty easily in any case.

jisley10

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
The stock Kernel for DJ05 has some sort of popping glitch that happens with media playback. I was recommended to try Jt's 1.76v Kernel and have found it to be a nice alternative to the stock one. Also, you are selling your phone short by sticking to the stock ROM. I have been testing out butch's Super Dark v1 (DJ05 only) and have fallen in love with it. I would recommend giving it a try.

Here's the link if you are interested:
[ROM] Super Dark v1 - DJ05 ONLY - xda-developers

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
The stock Kernel for DJ05 has some sort of popping glitch that happens with media playback. I was recommended to try Jt's 1.76v Kernel and have found it to be a nice alternative to the stock one. Also, you are selling your phone short by sticking to the stock ROM. I have been testing out butch's Super Dark v1 (DJ05 only) and have fallen in love with it. I would recommend giving it a try.

jisley, i totally agree, i love that rom, the only thing is the GPS doesnt work aswell as the stock DJ05 rom did ....but either way i like this rom enough to look over that lol, ill just use the garmin :p

jisley10

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I just ran into a little snag with the navigation as well. I went to test it out and got a popup screen saying "checking navigation availability" and it keeps cycling not allowing the navigation to open. Any suggestions?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I just ran into a little snag with the navigation as well. I went to test it out and got a popup screen saying "checking navigation availability" and it keeps cycling not allowing the navigation to open. Any suggestions?

yeah go to Location & security and try and check off VZW location services and Google location services

jisley10

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
yeah go to Location & security and try and check off VZW location services and Google location services

Well it had something to do with when I updated Google Maps. I uninstalled the Maps application but the app was still present on my device. I opened Maps to test it again and it worked fine. I don't know what the issue was but it works fine now.

Update: I noticed the Super Dark Rom doesn't come with v5.0.0 of Google maps. When you update Google maps it seems to cause problems with the navigation. . . still inspecting this strange phenomenon

Update: After reinstalling Google Maps v5.0.0 everything seems to be working fine. Must have been an issue with the first update.

But I ran into another problem. . . haha. Now I am getting the popping sounds that were occurring with the stock kernel. I am running geeknik's Stupid Fast 1.76v kernel that you suggested. Before I flashed the Super Dark v1 Rom I wasn't experiencing the popping noises. Any ideas what's up?

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Well it had something to do with when I updated Google Maps. I uninstalled the Maps application but the app was still present on my device. I opened Maps to test it again and it worked fine. I don't know what the issue was but it works fine now.

Update: I noticed the Super Dark Rom doesn't come with v5.0.0 of Google maps. When you update Google maps it seems to cause problems with the navigation. . . still inspecting this strange phenomenon

Update: After reinstalling Google Maps v5.0.0 everything seems to be working fine. Must have been an issue with the first update.

But I ran into another problem. . . haha. Now I am getting the popping sounds that were occurring with the stock kernel. I am running geeknik's Stupid Fast 1.76v kernel that you suggested. Before I flashed the Super Dark v1 Rom I wasn't experiencing the popping noises. Any ideas what's up?

ugh, that sucks i havnt tried it since i left my headphones at home,,,,hmm try flashing the kernel again otherwise it seems like we will have to go kernel hunting again

jisley10

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
ugh, that sucks i havnt tried it since i left my headphones at home,,,,hmm try flashing the kernel again otherwise it seems like we will have to go kernel hunting again

Ok, so I reflashed the v1.76 and was still experiencing the popping pretty significantly. Now I have flashed the 12/19 test kernel and so far no popping. . . I'll post and update in the next little bit after doing more testing. . .

Reactions: DroidXcon

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I reflashed the v1.76 and was still experiencing the popping pretty significantly. Now I have flashed the 12/19 test kernel and so far no popping. . . I'll post and update in the next little bit after doing more testing. . .

yeah i used that one 4 or 5 flashes ago. it was pretty solid. i get a little nervous with the overcolcking. i may go back if i run out of crap to do to my phone.

dkoss

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site

+1

Super Dark rocks. I've been running it for a couple weeks with geekniks kernel and I love it

Last edited:

jrs1035

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm stuck on a step using the guide listed on page 1.

Now go and select to install DJ05 Stock Rom.zip.

When I boot into Recovery Mode (2e) I don't see an option for the zip file I copied to my sd card. Do I need to rename the DJ05_stock.zip file to update.zip? My sd card already has a file named update.zip so I'm not sure what to do.

Also, the guide has me flashing the radio, then the ROM, and finally the kernel. Doesn't it make more sense to flash to kernel before the ROM?

I'm almost there, thanks guys!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
No you dont need to rename, just put it on the root of your internal SD card, when you boot into Clockwork recovery scroll down to install from SD card and you will see a list it will be most likley at the bottom of that list....then flash the kernal afterwards the same way

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Oh im sorry for bumping this but,,,

Did you install ClockworkMod ? if you are booting into Recovery Mode (2e) which is a blue screen you need to select apply update.zip, which will lead you into clockwork recovery, sorry i forgot to mention that, then from there you will need to scroll down to install zip from SD card

Reactions: jrs1035

jrs1035

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Yes, if installing is applying the CWMRecovery.tar file and selecting ClockworkMod Recovery in ROM Manager.

When I boot into recovery (both volume rockers then power) the screen says "Android System Recovery <2e>" with a exclamation point logo and "#MANUAL MODE#" below that.

So I need to select "apply sdcard:update.zip" and then navigate to the DJ05 ROM zip file?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney