Bricked Phone No Power after ROM flash

childishone

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I just got my phone yesterday and I was able to root it and make a back up of my ROM using CWM. After I created my back up I used CWM to flash the ROM using preception 10.2 from the link below. The update seem to be working fine and the screen said files were updating. The screen then said it was going to reboot. But instead of rebooting the phone seemed to shutdown (Battery life was at 99%). I waited 10 minutes and tried to power on the phone but nothing. I removed the battery and put it back in and still was unable to power on. I tried the 3 button combo and even going into download mode but still nothing. I've been reading forums but can't find a fix besides making a jig. I really don't want to make a jig and would rather try to return the phone back to Verizon. Any and all help would be greatly apreciated.

[ROM] ★ Perception Build 10.2 ★ Video Review ★ Smoothest Stock Experience! - xda-developers

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I just got my phone yesterday and I was able to root it and make a back up of my ROM using CWM. After I created my back up I used CWM to flash the ROM using preception 10.2 from the link below. The update seem to be working fine and the screen said files were updating. The screen then said it was going to reboot. But instead of rebooting the phone seemed to shutdown (Battery life was at 99%). I waited 10 minutes and tried to power on the phone but nothing. I removed the battery and put it back in and still was unable to power on. I tried the 3 button combo and even going into download mode but still nothing. I've been reading forums but can't find a fix besides making a jig. I really don't want to make a jig and would rather try to return the phone back to Verizon. Any and all help would be greatly apreciated.

[ROM] ★ Perception Build 10.2 ★ Video Review ★ Smoothest Stock Experience! - xda-developers

Ok so the main thing here is , that perception was not developed for your phone, it was actually developed for the Samsung Captivate so it wont work at all 3 combo, wont work cause thats meant for a different phone

"http://forum.androidcentral.com/verizon-fascinate-rooting-roms-hacks/53549-how-flash-full-package-dl09-stock-di01-via-odin.html"

copy and paste that link because i cant seem to get the link to work

Download the DI01 Stock package, then follow the directions ,,,,make sure your battery is out the whole time

Reactions: childishone

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Wow that must be a bad trip, bricking a phone on the second day of ownership.
I did my first brick about a month after getting my phone so my experience wasn't so bad...OP I feel for you man.
Just do the Odin thing...you be ok

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Wow that must be a bad trip, bricking a phone on the second day of ownership.
I did my first brick about a month after getting my phone so my experience wasn't so bad...OP I feel for you man.
Just do the Odin thing...you be ok

i give him some credit, he really wasnt afraid to get his hands dirty

jwebste9

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Key is to pull the battery and then hold the volume button down while plugging it into the usb. Thats what got me the first time i bricked it.... :( sad scary moments!

childishone

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks DroidXcon. That makes sense why my phone bricked on me. I went back and read preception and it clearly says I9000. I should have read up more on the ROM before I flashed it. I have downloaded the files and will try to restore my phone when I get to work. I just hope I am succesful. I will keep the thread posted with my results. Thanks again.

To ldurham1 I haven't yet but will give it a try shortly.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks DroidXcon. That makes sense why my phone bricked on me. I went back and read preception and it clearly says I9000. I should have read up more on the ROM before I flashed it. I have downloaded the files and will try to restore my phone when I get to work. I just hope I am succesful. I will keep the thread posted with my results. Thanks again.

To ldurham1 I haven't yet but will give it a try shortly.

No problem, i hope it works, ive always have been interested to find out what would happen in this situation.

let us know if you need help..

make sure you download drivers, try different USB ports if it doesnt work on a particular one... remember to leave the battery out of the phone for the whole process,,, if for some reason it doesnt work with the phone out try it with it, but ideally battery should be out.... oh and maybe disable antivirus,

childishone

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
So no dice... I have been trying many different variations of booting into download mode but no success. I have tried both versions of Odin (normal and alternate) that were on the link along with the drivers and no luck. I have tried multiple computers and laptops and still can't get the Samsung device recognized. The phone will just not power up and isn't being recognized by the computer. I even swapped batteries and USB cable with a friend that has a Galaxy and still nothing. Considering that I have only had the phone for two days I am thinking of sending it back to have it replaced. But I would rather fix this phone then return it. Any ideas????

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
If you return it in its current state you will most likely get charged for it.

When you are trying to connect in Odin, do you have the battery out?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
So it wont go into download mode if you pull out the batter and hold the down button while its plugged it for awhile......

You know im actually kind of intrigued by the idea of the jig... i mean theoretically it should work with all samsung phones

in some cases you do need the battery, and a fully charged battery would be best

childishone

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Kevin: Yes, the battery is out I am pushing the volume down button and have the cable pluged in and I get nothing.

DroidXcon: That is correct. I remove the battery hold the down button with the cable plugged in and nothing. I even have held the button down for 5 min and nothing. Tried all the USB ports on the laptops and PC's and still nothing.

Yes, the Jig does sound interesting and is seeming like it is going to be the only thing I can do unless I return it as a factory malfunction LOL. I actually stopped by a Verzion store to have it checked and they said "seems like a factory malfuncion". But since I bought it online they can't exchange it.

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Kevin: Yes, the battery is out I am pushing the volume down button and have the cable pluged in and I get nothing. .

As far as I know, the procedure is to pull the battery, hold volume down and *then* attach the USB cable.

So it basically checks when the cable is attached and asks "if the volume button is down, boot the phone into download mode". If the cable is already attached when you press volume down, it does nothing.

childishone

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the miss type. I actually did take out the battery push down the volume then pluged in the usb cable and nothing. Which is the way I got into download mode yesterday when I did a back up with CWM. Ive tried it without battery, SD card, button down, and plug in cable. Without battery, without SD card, button down, and plug in cable. With battery (just for the hell of it), SD card button down, and plug in cable.

causey

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
do you get the green battery icon when you have the phone plugged in with the battery in?

if you get that, then hold the vol down, and the power button. once you see the samsung logo (assuming it worked), let go of the power, but keep the vol down pressed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci