I keep telling myself i'm still a noob, and it's true. Learning quickly though.

So what's the deal with themes?

1- Do I flash them just like a rom, or can they be loaded up live? Do they only work on certain roms?

2- What all do themes do? Is it like a glorified launcher that just changes the color of some menus? Can they change some of the more fundamental elements of the UI like the toggles in the notification shade?

Any more info would be righteous.

Edit: I've loaded themes with ADW launcher, but all of the talk makes it seem like actual "themes" are a much bigger deal. Just so everyone knows i'm not a TOTAL moron.
    01-22-2011 01:13 AM
    i belive there are flashed thru cwm. the dj05 themes you can use if u have dl09 but after u flash the dj05 theme fix. you can find a list of them here with the theme fix, roms, and kernels as well . http://forum.androidcentral.com/veri...emes-list.html
    01-22-2011 09:09 AM
    Just make sure you do a Nandroid backup. I tried flashing the dl05 superdark theme over dl09 and it bricked my phone........twice! Dunno what i did wrong but Nandroid backups save your can if you flash happy.
    01-22-2011 10:03 AM
    Just make sure you do a Nandroid backup. I tried flashing the dl05 superdark theme over dl09 and it bricked my phone........twice! Dunno what i did wrong but Nandroid backups save your can if you flash happy.
    I've already been able to enjoy said benefits. Definitely a good thing.
    01-22-2011 10:39 AM
    any DJ05 theme will brick your phone if you are on DL09. You have to flash the theme first and then flash the DL09 theme fix here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2056318/DL09..._theme_hax.zip (courtesy of Adrynalyne) immediately after you flash the theme, otherwise your phone won't boot.
    01-22-2011 11:51 AM
    Yup jack I found that out, you have to reboot into recovery to flash the theme you can't do it from ROM Manager! Just for the reason you stated, you then have to flash the fix. My mistake was I flashed the theme from Rom Manager and when it was done it tried to restart the phone.
    01-22-2011 12:52 PM
    you can do it from rom manager, but when it tries to boot up again hold down the pwr, vol+ and vol - buttons, and the samsung will flash twice, and it should boot into recovery. apply update.zip and you will be in cwm.
    01-22-2011 02:33 PM
    Yup exactly right. Like I said Titanium Backup and Nandroid backups are the newbie flashers best freind
    01-22-2011 06:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD