Discussion of the Fascinate root How-To

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Before I root my phone I have a few questions regarding what to do after.

If you root using the one click root method and the ADB root method this does not flash CWMrecovery? From what I understand this is important when you download ROM Manager and do a Nanodroid Backup, which I have read is a very important thing to do.

Could you explain what the recovery is, how to flash it once you use the first two rooting methods and if you need to do this. Thank you in advance.

Either way you will have to use Odin to flash CWM just like in method 3. im still working on making method 3 easier to follow as im still trial and error with it. ill be probably updating it tonight or tommorow.

but the answer for clockwork for all three methods is flash via odin

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Haha! Titanium backup installed. If I crawl into bed now I can get just under 5 hours of sleep. Then tomorrow I will tackle getting rid of VZW's DL09 and flashing Adrynalyne's superclean DL09 with all the VZW bloat and bing taken out. Watch out world I am officially dangerous now :D

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Another possibility

Con,
Something else I realized was different. I sat here at my computer during the process this time and I noticed a Verizon pop up appeared twice wanting to run a bootstraplauncher.exe file or something close to that. I closed the pop up window both times rather than running it. I don't know if that made a difference, but I wanted you to have all the info.

Reactions: DroidXcon

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Con,
Something else I realized was different. I sat here at my computer during the process this time and I noticed a Verizon pop up appeared twice wanting to run a bootstraplauncher.exe file or something close to that. I closed the pop up window both times rather than running it. I don't know if that made a difference, but I wanted you to have all the info.

def does make a difference, that is auto play, so its asking you what to do with the device. if you dont select something or close out it kind of just sits in standby
... glad you mentioned that i will make a note of that also

Xplode22

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm using Odin to flash CWMRecovery_DJ05_DL09.tar.md5 and everything SEEMS to work, I get the PASS message but it only takes 7 seconds. Can that be correct? And just to make sure...I need to re-root, correct?

iLogikk

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
So I rooted successfully (thanks DroidXcon)! The point was to tether and I got that up & running. To be sure that Vz doesn't suspect anything, what should my data usage numbers NOT come close to? I'm a new customer so I don't know about their "rules". I have unlimited data usage but I was told its really not "unlimited".

Also, I wanted to see what a speed increase would do so I'm using the SetCpu app and its set to "performance". That makes the Max go to 1000 MHz and the min go completely down. Is that bad or good? I want to speed up the CPU but not necessarily kill my battery & processor at the same time. Any suggestions? If this is what's supposed to happen, I'll set it back to the regular speeds but I need to know how to do that.

Thanks in advance!!

dhr

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Trouble with ADB rooting

I received a new update to my phone from Verizon today. My phone was previously rooted, but the update un-rooted my phone. Does the new update from verzion create problems with rooting? I'm now running Firmware Version - 2.1-update1, Baseband version s:i500.04 V.DL09, Kernel version 2.6.29, Build number SCH-I500,DL09.

Previously I was able to root my phone, using the one click method. I tried it this time and it starts out ok, but when my phone reboots and the script doesn't wait for the phone to come back online. So I'm trying to use the adb method.

I've reinstalled my samsung drivers on the computer just to make sure the drivers are working correctly. When I type adb devices I can see the phone. I've restarted the computer before I begin the process. I've rebooted my phone and removed the battery before I begin just to make sure everything is clean.

After doing this I get tothe step where I type in the shell command of ./rage.bin and then I get the $ prompt, but it never kicks me back out to the C:\FascinateRoot_v02 prompt. It remains at the $ prompt and doesn't do anything else. I've waited for over 10 minutes to see if anything will happen. The adb connection doesn't reset. If I force the exit from the shell with cntl C, I'm able to see the device using adb devices, but adb shell doesn't work. I have tried this multiple times and I get the same results each time.

Any ideas? Confused.

Do I have to do something more drastic, like reverting my phone to factory conditions?

DHR

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Yes Xplode it happens fast because you are only flashing a tiny portion. .......to root once you boot into clockwork recovery you need to flash the superuser+busybox.zip from your sd card you also need to flash a kernel but thats not in my guide.ill revise it in a couple hours. Your fine though dont worry. If you want help now please go to the stickied modified CWM thread
I'm using Odin to flash CWMRecovery_DJ05_DL09.tar.md5 and everything SEEMS to work, I get the PASS message but it only takes 7 seconds. Can that be correct? And just to make sure...I need to re-root, correct?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Teathering can infact be traced I dont know how often get introuble for it but I wouldn't abuse it my self.since it consumes so much data it changeshow data is streamed to your phone and this change is transparent ti them. so use it at your own risk.

Im not a fan of over clocking the fascinate cpu is plenty capable.if I were you I would freeze the bloatware with titanium backup or flash a custom rom. You will see a world of difference and not kill your battery or cpu
So I rooted successfully (thanks DroidXcon)! The point was to tether and I got that up & running. To be sure that Vz doesn't suspect anything, what should my data usage numbers NOT come close to? I'm a new customer so I don't know about their "rules". I have unlimited data usage but I was told its really not "unlimited".

Also, I wanted to see what a speed increase would do so I'm using the SetCpu app and its set to "performance". That makes the Max go to 1000 MHz and the min go completely down. Is that bad or good? I want to speed up the CPU but not necessarily kill my battery & processor at the same time. Any suggestions? If this is what's supposed to happen, I'll set it back to the regular speeds but I need to know how to do that.

Thanks in advance!!

Reactions: iLogikk

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I would suggest trying againg but before you start remove the phone battery for a couple seconds, put it back in then restart the process.try again this time if it hangs up give it a little longer it my be writing over your previous root... And make sure you checked stay awake under debugging mode...and change USB ports for good measure
I received a new update to my phone from Verizon today. My phone was previously rooted, but the update un-rooted my phone. Does the new update from verzion create problems with rooting? I'm now running Firmware Version - 2.1-update1, Baseband version s:i500.04 V.DL09, Kernel version 2.6.29, Build number SCH-I500,DL09.

Previously I was able to root my phone, using the one click method. I tried it this time and it starts out ok, but when my phone reboots and the script doesn't wait for the phone to come back online. So I'm trying to use the adb method.

I've reinstalled my samsung drivers on the computer just to make sure the drivers are working correctly. When I type adb devices I can see the phone. I've restarted the computer before I begin the process. I've rebooted my phone and removed the battery before I begin just to make sure everything is clean.

After doing this I get tothe step where I type in the shell command of ./rage.bin and then I get the $ prompt, but it never kicks me back out to the C:\FascinateRoot_v02 prompt. It remains at the $ prompt and doesn't do anything else. I've waited for over 10 minutes to see if anything will happen. The adb connection doesn't reset. If I force the exit from the shell with cntl C, I'm able to see the device using adb devices, but adb shell doesn't work. I have tried this multiple times and I get the same results each time.

Any ideas? Confused.

Do I have to do something more drastic, like reverting my phone to factory conditions?

DHR

iLogikk

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Teathering can infact be traced I dont know how often get introuble for it but I wouldn't abuse it my self.since it consumes so much data it changeshow data is streamed to your phone and this change is transparent ti them. so use it at your own risk.

Im not a fan of over clocking the fascinate cpu is plenty capable.if I were you I would freeze the bloatware with titanium backup or flash a custom rom. You will see a world of difference and not kill your battery or cpu

I didn't plan to use the tether often but only when needed. I did test it thought to see if it worked. I just wanted to keep it handy if I was in a situation where I had no wifi for my netbook. If there a certain amount of data usage that tips them off? Like can you just give me an example of what normal vs high numbers would be?

I'll definitely get rid of the SetCPU app. Before I do so, how do I set the processor speed back to it's original speed? Will it automatically reset if I just delete the application? I apologize for all the questions but I'm very new to overclocking.

dhr

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the encouragement. I did get it rooted. It took about 20-25 minutes for the ./rage.bin to execute. I had to try it two times. The second time it worked.

Thank you.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Attention!!! i have updated the directions to the CWM+root combo method

if anyone has trouble shooting advice please list them. example of what i need would be.

detailed error

detailed solution

iLogikk

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Can someone please explain to me how to get my processor back to the normal speed?

I installed SetCPU to overclock but I see it's not necessary for me to have after a response from DroidXcon.

I want to just uninstall it but will that put me back at normal CPU speed?

Right now the main screen says:

1000 MHz
1000 max 100 min
scaling: performance

There are no profiles or other stuff set in any of the other tabs. Is it okay to delete the application now and be back at the normal CPU speed before "overclocking"?

Krsdownlow

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
DroidXcon, you are the man!! Rooting was a success.

Unfortunately I removed an App I wasnt suppose to. Marketplace does not download anymore. It says starting downlowd, but nothing occurs. Did a little research and i read that the Marketplace needed Gtalkservices in order to run. Any ideas on how to fix Marketplace?

Thanks for your expertise.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
DroidXcon, you are the man!! Rooting was a success.

Unfortunately I removed an App I wasnt suppose to. Marketplace does not download anymore. It says starting downlowd, but nothing occurs. Did a little research and i read that the Marketplace needed Gtalkservices in order to run. Any ideas on how to fix Marketplace?

Thanks for your expertise.

Thanks Krsdownlow,

glad rooting was a success, unfortunatley yes the market is kind of dependent on the gtalk services for some reason.i dont know where to get the apk's for you so unless someone here can provide them or you can find them . there are a couple of things you can try, such as; factory reset, flash back to stock via odin, you want to use DI01. sorry this has happened but for future ref you can use this thread to research what is safe to remove from your phone

willenium_1217

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
This is one reason why I am glad I have a fascinate now. You guys are the bomb about rooting. These posting are perfect. I was looking at the postings for the Droid Eris (my friend wants me to help him root) and nothing quite as good as this! You guys are awesome!

Krsdownlow

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks DroidXcon.

I'll try that method. Will it wipe all the other apps I've installed on the phone previously? And all my contacts and stuff? Sorry for the newbie questions.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
yes it will wipe everything,,,,but actually killah supplied a system dump maybe that will help you let me find it , check back in a couple mins on this same post maybe that will help you be right back

fascinate_sys_dump.zip

Download, unzip, copy .apks to SD card, select them on the phone, install.

if this helps you please find one of his posts and click the thank you button for him

Reactions: Krsdownlow

Krsdownlow

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
DroidXCon, I said it before and I'll say it again..You are the MFin Man!!! That Fascinate_Sys_dump.zip file worked!!!! I just extracted the Gtalkservice.apk file, sent it to my email, Downloaded it on my phone, and ran the apk file.

Marketplace is now back up and running!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21