Discussion of the Fascinate root How-To

SRex

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Okay, since I can't seem to find anyone else discussing my problem already, this is what I've run into.

Last night I followed DroidXcon's tutorial to root DL09 via one click. Everything seemed okay. Drivers installed fine, START_ROOT booted right up and detected my phone.

*NOTE* I did NOT run START_ROOT from C:\FascinateRoot_v02 as I noticed you mention on this thread's tutorial. Not sure if that had anything to do with it.

START_ROOT copied all of the files to my phone's SD card successfully and restarted the phone. The media sync gave me a little trouble until I found out how to disable it. START_ROOT said that the exploit was successful, but I noticed several lines stating something along the lines of: mount permission not allowed. I saw that someone had posted the exact same error, but unfortunately cannot find it anymore.

Since it said the exploit worked, but also said that there were permissions not allowed, I wasn't sure if I had rooted or not. I tried installing Super User and ROM manager to see if it worked. Both installed fine, but ROM manager tells me that "Superuser was not found at /system/xbin/su" and then suggests I google search a "how to" on rooting my phone, lol.

That brings me to today. A new problem popped up this morning when I tried again. Every time I plug my phone in, even in debug mode, Internet Explorer opens to the verizon wireless homepage, and begs to be my default search engine. Then a little pop-up appears asking me if I want to install verizon's new software to mount my SD card. after clicking no and closing Internet Exploder, I try running START_ROOT and it no longer detects my phone.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, and tried moving FascinateRoot_v02 to the C:\. So far, nothing has worked. :(

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Okay, since I can't seem to find anyone else discussing my problem already, this is what I've run into.

Last night I followed DroidXcon's tutorial to root DL09 via one click. Everything seemed okay. Drivers installed fine, START_ROOT booted right up and detected my phone.

*NOTE* I did NOT run START_ROOT from C:\FascinateRoot_v02 as I noticed you mention on this thread's tutorial. Not sure if that had anything to do with it.

START_ROOT copied all of the files to my phone's SD card successfully and restarted the phone. The media sync gave me a little trouble until I found out how to disable it. START_ROOT said that the exploit was successful, but I noticed several lines stating something along the lines of: mount permission not allowed. I saw that someone had posted the exact same error, but unfortunately cannot find it anymore.

Since it said the exploit worked, but also said that there were permissions not allowed, I wasn't sure if I had rooted or not. I tried installing Super User and ROM manager to see if it worked. Both installed fine, but ROM manager tells me that "Superuser was not found at /system/xbin/su" and then suggests I google search a "how to" on rooting my phone, lol.

That brings me to today. A new problem popped up this morning when I tried again. Every time I plug my phone in, even in debug mode, Internet Explorer opens to the verizon wireless homepage, and begs to be my default search engine. Then a little pop-up appears asking me if I want to install verizon's new software to mount my SD card. after clicking no and closing Internet Exploder, I try running START_ROOT and it no longer detects my phone.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, and tried moving FascinateRoot_v02 to the C:\. So far, nothing has worked. :(

Get out of here, that sounds shady at best...ill address this in about 2 hours, im late for work unless someone else can help you .

SRex

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks so much! I don't mind waiting a little while to get this figured out. From what I've seen in the forums, you're doing a fantastic job.

I remembered something important! Before I had trouble getting ROM Manager to work, I used Odin to flash Clockworkmod onto my SD. Don't know it that helps or not.

At this point, I'm considering a factory DL09 restore via Odin. I already have the .md5, so that's an option, if you think it could help. But I'm unable to access my SD, so I won't be able to remove CWM after restoring it...

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks so much! I don't mind waiting a little while to get this figured out. From what I've seen in the forums, you're doing a fantastic job.

I remembered something important! Before I had trouble getting ROM Manager to work, I used Odin to flash Clockworkmod onto my SD. Don't know it that helps or not.

At this point, I'm considering a factory DL09 restore via Odin. I already have the .md5, so that's an option, if you think it could help. But I'm unable to access my SD, so I won't be able to remove CWM after restoring it...

ok so im at work and everyone is still here so my advice will be fragmented... for everyones future reference in this new thread i have added a trouble shooting section to some of the methods. if you look there things like the permission issue was address.

that stemmed from not gaining temporary root. rebooting your phone and starting the process over could have helped this.....ok so loss of USB. this has been a common issue covered in another thread found Here

In the mean time try this, with your phone in debbugging mode, while still plugged in, reboot your phone. this should give you a temporary solutions.

then try rooting again

in a situation like this i would go with ADB rooting vs One click.

Reactions: HuskerDad3

SRex

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
So rebooting the phone while plugged in gave me temp root access, but every time I run one click it says

** Successfully exploited, installing permanent root files and deleting temp files
error: device not found
* Restarting your phone now.

Looks like I'll be trying ADB method next. :p

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
So rebooting the phone while plugged in gave me temp root access, but every time I run one click it says

** Successfully exploited, installing permanent root files and deleting temp files

Yeah sorry you are losing adb connection during the reboot. after the first reboot during one click you need to stop and make sure you have restablished connection... if you cant restablish connection youre kind of stuck.

good luck with adb method

Last edited:

dhdmart

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Droidx.....thanks for everything you have posted here on rooting. I was able to succesfully root using the method you posted for Adrynalynes thread. I do have a question that I have read about concerning lagfix. Should I or should I not have this installed along with clockwork recovery? Thanks for any advice

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Droidx.....thanks for everything you have posted here on rooting. I was able to succesfully root using the method you posted for Adrynalynes thread. I do have a question that I have read about concerning lagfix. Should I or should I not have this installed along with clockwork recovery? Thanks for any advice

dhdmart, im glad that this thread was useful to you. But as far as lagfix is concerned i would have to honestly say i have no idea. that question is much better directed towards Adrynalyne. i never looked into it since my phone didnt have lag with most of these custom ROM's so i never felt the need to look at it. I'm sorry if i am not of any help in this area.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

its that stupid vcast crap they put in the phone. make sure debugging is turned on. set your usb settings to mass storage. plug phone into pc. restart phone. once phone is up, try the root again.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

try non voodoo first. get comfortable flashing stuff to your phone. if your phone is runnnig well for with little or no lag, no need for voodoo. from what i understand voodoo is best used when you do a mass amount of rss. other wise stay away.

SRex

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to say thanks again for all the work you've done on here! As per your recommendation I tried the ADB method, which worked almost perfectly. I had to do a battery pull halfway through, but I retained temp root and was able to continue from there. Now I just have to figure out how to flash a ROM...

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

just in case you need hand

[How-To] Root your Fascinate

Last edited by a moderator:

JettaStorm97

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Thank you DroidXcon for all of your time and work in these root methods!

I have a question in regards to root verification. I am fresh at rooting so bear with me.

In another thread I have read it said to download a program called "Connectbot". Connect to local and enter "SU" at the $ prompt. If rooted the "$" prompt should turn into a "#" prompt.

After struggling with the one click method and manual input and after running some errands i tried titanium back up and it shows that I am rooted and operates as normal (as far as I can tell).

While trying the prior method with connectbot, it still shows "$" prompt. Which is not rooted. I did verify that this worked after I rooted prior to the DL09 update. I did not us titanium prior to the DL09 update.

Long story short... I am rooted right?

Thanks for your time and advice.

teriau

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I used the One Click root from post #2 of this thread ... worked like a charm, just have to be patient while things happen. Thanks for your work everyone.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
QUOTE]

if when you open an you need root permission for and it asks you to allow or deny super user permissions then yes. If since then you have rebooted and it no longer grants you super user permissions, that means you were only temporarly rooted and i suggest just simply running through the method again.

I used the One Click root from post #2 of this thread ... worked like a charm, just have to be patient while things happen. Thanks for your work everyone.

very welcome

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy