the difference between kernels. Recommendation?

hrez

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
If you're not scared of loading a back up would you do me a favor and load up that #5 kernel, factory reset your rom, and see if you still have music pops? I had no issue with the music pops, and I bet if we can tell if it's an app or not we could track it down and maybe give adrynalyne somewhere to look for that problem. Just a thought. I would do it but I didn't get music pops.

I would do it, but I is scurred :(. This is my first day messing with this stuff and I just got everything working perfectly.

in addition to what sheepy said you could try voodoo control from the market. it has the voodoo sound enhancements.

I'm not running voodoo yet. Maybe once I get more comfortable with this whole process. CWM and recovery mode are still very scary to me and I don't want to b0rk anything up in my current state of ignorance.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I would do it, but I is scurred :(. This is my first day messing with this stuff and I just got everything working perfectly.

I'm not running voodoo yet. Maybe once I get more comfortable with this whole process. CWM and recovery mode are still very scary to me and I don't want to b0rk anything up in my current state of ignorance.

lol. everything is unborkable. check out my first thread, i was freakin out!

http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...8408-android-market-got-uninstalled-help.html

you took the first step in rooting. take the next step, flash a new rom. the custom roms are great, there are some great instructions in the roms and hacks sticky section, and sheepy just put out some explinations on what stuff is. im not saying you should become a flash whore like me, but try stuff out. yes you WILL brick your phone. but you can make all kinds of cool stuff out of bricks. ;) trust me, you cant possibly screw up your phone worse than i have screwed up mine! everything is fixable. unless you get mad and throw your phone and actually break it, then you really screwed. read read read. stickys. they are great.

Reactions: Proletariat

abowlofsoda

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Just like everything else in the Android world you have to figure out whats more important cause you can't have your cake and eat it too.

The fastest kernels have the audio pop.

Great battery life kernels have a bit of lag.

Kernels that have no lag, no audio pop and great battery will show up as a cd-rom when you try to sync to your computer.

You might not have the same experiences with the same kernels!
the great thing about kernels is you can just pop one over another without having to wipe data. That way you can experiment without much worry.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Just like everything else in the Android world you have to figure out whats more important cause you can't have your cake and eat it too.

The fastest kernels have the audio pop.

Great battery life kernels have a bit of lag.

Kernels that have no lag, no audio pop and great battery will show up as a cd-rom when you try to sync to your computer.

You might not have the same experiences with the same kernels!
the great thing about kernels is you can just pop one over another without having to wipe data. That way you can experiment without much worry.

you know i get great battery life, no audio pop, and super fast,no lag at all. im running the new rubik rom, with jt's voodoo 5.

dark96

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I gotta say this is a helpful thread of trying to figure out what to try in terms or roms. but looking at link somebody posted with all the different roms and kernals, I was just wondering what the difference was between a rom and kernal?

Last edited:

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Were they normal or low voltage/voodoo or non-voodoo versions? I have 2 of the 3 Fascinates I take care of running test 6 low volt voodoo, and I've tried test 2 voodoo, all without any issues. It's hard to narrow down the cause of audio pops in my opinion, as it's not always caused by a specific kernel. At one point, I had all 3 phones running identical setups (DJ05 stock with StupidFast v1.54) and after updating them all to DL09 stock, 1 of the 3 had audio pops. Yes, changing the kernel corrected the problem, but if the kernel was fully to blame, all 3 of them would have had the issue.

Terminator02

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
After setting my minimum cpu speed to 200 like someone said all of my audio popping is gone that's AWESOME

Plus i'm now hearing about this new rom, i'm gonna have to check it out

Sent from my (adyrn test 6 undervolted) super cleaned DL09 fascinate using tapatalk

Proletariat

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I gotta say this is a helpful thread of trying to figure out what to try in terms or roms. but looking at link somebody posted with all the different roms and kernals, I was just wondering what the difference was between a rom and kernal?

Kernal: Think of the kernal as the nucleus of the OS. It's what holds everything together. It controls system resources and decides which programs get what resources, etc.

ROM: Read Only Memory. Stuff that you can see but can't change (by just changing settings anyhow). Pretty much the look/feel of what you see on your phone.

By putting a new ROM on your phone, you're changing how it looks/feels and, in certain situations, acts.

By putting a new kernal on your phone, you're basically swapping one brain for another.

I hope this is accurate (I'm kinda new to all this and just learning as I go) and helps!

Reactions: dark96

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Here's a simpler way to think of it.

The ROM is like the operating system. Compare it to Windows. Different ROMs are like different versions of Windows, but are still all on Android just like Win is on a PC.

The Kernel tells the software what to do with the hardware. Just like drivers on a PC. Certain kernels are built to tell the hardware to do things differently. Thus, why they can overclock the CPU for performance or undervolt it to save power.

dark96

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I see. Thanks for the helps, now just trying to gather as much bout the voodoos and nonvoodoo kernel. But i guess the nonvoodoo ones just add their own coding to the RFS instead of completely reinstalling everythign?

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Same here with Adrynalyne's test 6 low voltage voodoo and stock rom for me.

I'm getting the same results from normal voltage voodoo #6, it seems i'm stuck with adrynalyne's kernels exclusively until some one else decides to fix the CD rom issues.

you know i get great battery life, no audio pop, and super fast,no lag at all. im running the new rubik rom, with jt's voodoo 5.

Does that still give you the CD rom issue? For some reason this issue causes my computer to totally crash every time I plug it in so it's kind of a big deal for me?

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting the same results from normal voltage voodoo #6, it seems i'm stuck with adrynalyne's kernels exclusively until some one else decides to fix the CD rom issues.

Does that still give you the CD rom issue? For some reason this issue causes my computer to totally crash every time I plug it in so it's kind of a big deal for me?

i did a warrenty exchange on my phone. i wanted to start from scratch, get some more info into the pool.

sheepy, whats going on with your phone, give me details.

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I plug the phone in, I get the blue screen of death after 15-20 seconds. The error was either bad memory or critical driver failure. Empirical Ram stick test confirmed drivers. (Pull two stick of memory, boot, still happens, switch receptacles, still happens, switch memory for 2 other sticks, repeat.) It was better as soon as I loaded Adrynalynes test kernel 5.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...te-crashes-my-computer-blue-screen-death.html

It was my very first thread here, and why I joined, let alone rooted my phone. I seem to be the only one experiencing it. Seems like a system specific conflict. I flashed over to a voodoo control friendly kernel based off DL09 last night from jt1134, but it didn't have the drivers fixed i'm guessing, because it crashed my computer again after it flashed it.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20