Leaked DL30 Froyo Build Available NOW! (Includes Full Instructions: Updated 2/5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Here's how to upgrade to Froyo:

Recent revisions to this procedure: Updates to this procedure reflect changes to ClockworkMod Red. More details regarding CWM can be found at the bottom of this post under the heading "Advanced Users". The original procedure is here for reference.

Prerequisites: The absolute safest way to proceed is to start with a factory reseted device with no 3rd party apps installed or Voodoo Lag Fix. That is the state my phone was in as I was writing this procedure. Based on numerous posts, if you don't do this, there's a good chance you'll be heading on down to the force close section of post #5. I'm also reading issues people are having when restoring data from backup programs. I'm not telling you to not do this, but just be aware of this. Personally, I like to start out with a clean slate. If you have used ODIN in the past, and have experience using it, you will breeze through many of these steps. I'm pretty specific for those who are new to all of this. It's worth repeating: if you have Voodoo, I would remove it. If you don't know what Voodoo is, it's unlikely that you have it. You will also need to install the Samsung Drivers before continuing. This procedure is not Mac compatible. Last but not least, no question is a stupid question, regardless of your skill level. There are no shortage of helpful and experienced members in this thread, and there are certified Android Central junkies (those of us with badges next to our names) that are here to help. I know you'd do anything right now for me to stop talking, so here it is:

Please follow these steps explicitly:

1.) If your phone is not currently at version DL09, please proceed to post #4 before continuing.
2.) Download these 2 files & place them on your SD Card: update.zip & DL30.zip.
3.) Download this file to your PC: cwm_froyo.tar
4.) If you do not have ODIN (or if you don't know what that is), download the attached zipped ODIN file and extract ODIN file to your PC's desktop.
5.) If your phone is plugged into your computer, unplug it now.
6.) If your phone is not powered down, power it down now.
7.) Remove battery from phone.
8.) Launch ODIN on PC.
9.) Plug USB cable into phone.
10.) Press and hold the volume-down key.
11.) Plug your Fascinate into the PC via USB cable.

You should now see a gigantic yellow triangle and your phone will be in download mode. You can now release the volume key.

12.) Click on the PDA button in ODIN

Triple check that you pushed the PDA button. Do NOT click the Phone button prior to continuing to step 13. If you choose Phone, you will have bought your Fascinate a one-way ticket to hell.

13.) Choose the cwm_froyo.tar file you downloaded in step 3 above & click the Start button.
14.) Phone will power down when finished.
15.) Remove USB cable.
16.) Reinsert battery.
17.) Press & hold the volume up and down buttons at the same time. Do not let go. Now press and hold the power button. You will see the Samsung logo display, disappear, and then reappear. Now let go of all buttons.
18.) You will now see a blue menu.

For the following: volume buttons to select & home button to enter at the end of each step.

19.) Select apply "sdcard:update.zip"
20.) You should now see a red menu (CWM Red)

For the following: volume buttons to select and power button to enter at the end of each step.

20.) Select "install zip from sdcard"
21.) Select "zip from sdcard"
22.) Select "DL30-Leak.zip"
23.) Select "Yes Install DL30.zip"
24.) Once install is complete, hit the menu capacitive button to go back one screen.
25.) Choose reboot system now.

When finished -- the phone will reboot and you will have Froyo.

Users having Force Close Problems: If, after completing the upgrade, you are having force close issues, please see post #5.

Advanced users: If you did the above procedure the evening of 2/4/10 - or later - you will also have the latest and greatest ClockworkMod Red that jt1134 posted on XDA. In post #5 below, I provide instructions on how to boot into ClockworkMod in the future, and some of the things you can use it for. If you used a prior version of my procedure, you have an older version of ClockworkMod Red that has a broken mass storage function, broken data mounting function, and as a result will not be able to "wipe properly" (thanks for explaining this Adrynalyne). It's also my understanding there are problems doing a Nandroid backup with the old version. In post #5, I also provide details on how to update to the newest one.

***Credits***
  • punk.kaos in the XDA forums for posting the DL30 Froyo Build.
  • AC Adviser Adrynalyne for hosting and posting CWMRecovery_DJ05_DL09_RED.tar.md5 & DL09.tar.md5 & also helping us understand the differences in the various ClockWorkMod's
  • jt1134 over at XDA for the updated ClockWorkMod Red.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Leaked DL30 Froyo Build Available NOW!

Observations about update (in links below, please click and thank the user that found it):

* Google Search now included.
* Black bar instead of gray at the top of the screen.
* Visual upgrades to icons in settings, and notifications panel for WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, and new icons for: Mobile Data & Auto Rotation.
* If you were previously rooted, you will maintain root.
* Call quality is good.
* Additional social accounts added: AOL Mail, Verizon Net, Yahoo Mail, Hotmail added in setup wizard.
* 3 new font styles for all system fonts: Choco Cooky, Cool Jazz, and Rosemary; accessible is settings > display settings > font style. Options for downloading more fonts online.
* Added Samsung Keypad Keyboard.
* New tethering option in settings > wireless and networks (different than VZW Mobile Hotspot?)
* New tab in Task Manager called "RAM Manager" also options for controlling Level 1 & 2 RAM. No idea what that is yet.
* Latest Gtalk client (yea!)
* Latest Gmail client (yea!)
* New options during power down
* Flash works great in web pages (slows down page load times slighty). Tested on AC, Engadget and YouTube. Best performing of any phone I've used (all of them).
* Google NAV voice is now loud!
* Camera bug resolved.
* New lock options in settings can now set a pin password or the old way to lock.
* New battery fully charged sound & battery full icon on left side of notification panel.
* Haptic feedback is much lighter to the touch.
* Ridiculously cool select, cut, share, serach goolge/google traslate/wikipedia/dictionary feature.
* Sounds and settings updates listed here
* Media scanner at bootup now has a % complete progress indicator in notifications pull-down.
* Gmail app now has "install" button and installs apks automatically instead of previewing then installing.
* Screen capture: hold the back button and then press the power button to take a screenshot. Thanks to PJnc284 for finding this.
* You can now touch and hold the notification bar then slide left/right for brightness Thanks to Sheepdog Elite for finding this.
* In the stock browser you can now touch and hold (longer than normal I think) and it give you the ability to highlight text on the page. Thanks to Sheepdog Elite for finding this.
* Pinching your fingers in the app drawer brings up a sense-like leap feature for your app drawer.
* It looks like the Froyo update also fixed the two-finger rotate in Google Maps: Similar to pinch to zoom if you rotate your two fingers clockwise or counter-clockwise googlemaps will rotate. It was one of the enhancements they added with the most recent update (along w/ compass and 3D cities), but it never worked on the Fascinate. Thanks Hoffy!

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site

Issues List:

Problem: "Unable to load message. Message too long" in Exchange emails. It happens on every email; even a 1-word email.
Workarounds: Use a 3rd party email client. K9 is a good solution for POP/IMAP. For Exchange I would recommend Touchdown, or Roadsync. TD being my first choice.

Problem: Flash Player does not work in default browser.
Solution: Open the browser settings and make sure plug-ins are enabled.

Problem: Exchange pin in stock email client does not work.
Workaround: Same as workaround above.

Problem: Pressing the voicemail icon on the dialer screen causes a force close & displays: the process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

Workaround: Press and hold the 1 key on the dialer pad to access voicemail.

Problem: Samsung program management widget disappears after a power cycle. It also does this if the phone is locked for an extended period of time.
Solution: None.

Problem: Visual Voicemail App missing.
Solution:

1.) Use CWR to flash VVM.zip.
2.) Use root explorer to copy new VVM files to /apps/system (this will overwrite the the ones installed above - which is what you want).

Problem: The backlight stay awake (when the phone is plugged in) feature is no longer available in Settings>Applications>Development.
Solution: Download a third party application which manages this feature from the Market.

If you're aware of another issue, please post it in this thread.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site

If post #1 pointed you here because you need to flash DL09 please do the following:

(Prerequisite: You will need to install the Samsung Drivers, if you haven't installed them before.)

1.) Download DL09.tar.md5 to your PC's desktop.
2.) Download the attached zip to your desktop, then extract the ODIN file to your PC's desktop.
3.) If your phone is plugged into your computer, unplug it now.
4.) If your phone is not powered down, power it down now.
5.) Remove battery from phone.
6.) Launch ODIN on PC.
7.) Plug USB cable into phone.
8.) Press and hold the volume-down key.
9.) Plug your Fascinate into the computer via USB cable.

You should now see a gigantic yellow triangle and your phone will be in download mode. You can now release the volume key.

10.) Click on the PDA button in ODIN

Triple check that you pushed the PDA button. Do NOT click the Phone button prior to continuing to step 11. If you choose Phone, you will have bought your Fascinate a one-way ticket to hell.

11.) Choose the DL09.tar.md5 file you downloaded in step #1 above & click the Start button.
12.) Phone will power down when finished.
13.) Remove USB cable.
14.) Reinsert battery.
15.) Power up.
16.) Your phone should boot to the homescreen properly.
17.) Proceed with step 2 in post #1 of this thread.

Reactions: d18j and Furon

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Leaked DL30 Froyo Build Available NOW! (Includes Full Instructions)

If, after completing the upgrade, you are in a force close loop:

1) Boot into recovery and do a clear cache to fix FC issues. --> Thanks to the member with the cool username: killahamsammich.
2) If that doesn't work try a Wipe Data/Factory Reset in recovery mode.
3) Still not working: Try using ODIN to flash a fresh DL09.tar.md5 and then go through all the steps in the first post again. And make sure you do not have Voodoo installed!

About ClockworkRed:

• The original version of my procedure (written on 2/1) installed/used an outdated ClockworkMod Red during the upgrade to Froyo process. I updated the procedure on the evening of 2/4 to reflect the newer version.
  • For a technical explanation of why the original red is bad, please read this and this. My own observation is that the old one also prevented me from being able to do Nandroid Backups.
  • If you have the outdated ClockworkMod Red, and would like the new one, this is how to upgrade:

1. Download cwm_froyo.tar to your desktop.
    2. Download update.zip and move it to your SD card.
    3. Use ODIN to flash cwm_froyo.tar.
    4. You should now be able to boot into the new ClockworkMod Red.
  • Use the following steps to boot into ClockWorkMod Red moving forward (start with phone powered off):

1. Press & hold the volume up and down buttons at the same time. Do not let go. Now press and hold the power button. You will see the Samsung logo display, disappear, and then reappear. Now let go of all buttons.
  2. You will now see a blue menu. Use the volume buttons to select & the home button as an enter button in this screen.
  3. Select apply "sdcard:update.zip"
  4. You should now boot into ClockworkRed. From here you can do things like flash zips on your SD card, and do full system backups using Nandroid. Use the volume buttons to select & the power button as an enter button in CWR Red screen.

• You will also notice the following errors when booting into the new ClockworkMod Red:

E:Missing bitmap progress_empty (code -1)
E:Missing bitmap progress_fill (code -1)
CwM Voodoo Lagfix Recovery v2.5.1.x​

It's my understanding they are related to this ClockworkMod not being compatible with Voodoo, and are nothing to be concerned over.

Important: If you plan on using ROM manager to boot into the above CWM please read this post first.

Credits:
  • jt1134 over at XDA for the updated ClockWorkMod Red.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Sweet! Can't wait to hear how you make out. And thanks for being one of the first to try it here!

JeremytheIndian

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Cory... Any word on when we will have a fully functioning AOSP or Clean release?

I just consider my self lucky that people who are incredibly smarter than me also bought this phone and decided to make it great. Thanks guys!

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Copy Post from XDA:

punkkaos:
"This is the rom you all said didn't exist. That Samsung would never finish.
Here it is, the official Samsung Verizon Fascinate DL30 Froyo rom!

This rom has ALL the VZW/Sammy bloatware included, unedited, and unchanged.

The only addition is that this rom is pre-rooted.

All bugs in this rom are courtesy Samsung, not myself and as such I will be providing NO support on this rom whatsoever. I'm not going to fix anything thats broken, and I will not make it better. If you want that, go look at JT1134 or myself's Froyo AOSP/CM6 roms.

Thanks to Adrynalyne for packaging this up in a OTA zip so I didn't have to

Flash with CWM, both the DJ05 and DL09 radios work."

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
I have not encountered any issues with voodoo lagfix... This is completely unknown territory. You may want to disable lagfix and flash a non-voodoo kernel during your tryouts.. I am watching a couple of forums right now and I am not seeing any reports...

That is me being very cautious.

Reactions: afbar1114

afbar1114

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I have not encountered any issues with voodoo lagfix... This is completely unknown territory. You may want to disable lagfix and flash a non-voodoo kernel during your tryouts.. I am watching a couple of forums right now and I am not seeing any reports...

That is me being very cautious.

is it working so far for u?

geocomp

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I am excited about getting Froyo but I think I am going to wait a few more days to see what shakes out from this news.

ArcAngel9

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
If I have my phone flashed with voodoo and then I flash this ROM will I have problems? Ive seen talk of disabling Voodoo? How exactly do you do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2