[How To][Links] ROMs/Themes and Kernels ~# Updated 3/20/11 #~

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks DroidXcon..
Seems as though lately I am having to fix permissions a lot today; to get many apps to work - more often since flashing (testing) possible work-arounds for recovering themed ROMs.

The more I bounce back and forth between ROMs the more I encounter force closes and have to fix permissions.

Thanks again for the detail.

Reactions: k rock

H2o

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I wassent able to download the link to fix the permission s that droidx put up to be able to do it in terminal editor..anyone else have the link? Thanks in advance

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Ill fix it in like 20mins
I wassent able to download the link to fix the permission s that droidx put up to be able to do it in terminal editor..anyone else have the link? Thanks in advance

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Tapatalk

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
It's probably easiest to just re-flash the rom, but if you didn't want to for whatever reason, all you really need to do is restore the few files that the theme replaced. You could pull these right out of the SC 2.9 zip file on your sd card using root explorer.

The files usually replaced when flashing a theme are:

android.policy.jar
framework.jar
framework-res.apk

And sometimes:

twframework-res.apk
twframework.jar

These are located in /system/framework. Just copy them out of the rom zip and into your /system/framework directory, reboot and you should be back.

You can always check inside the theme zip file to see what files it replaces, then you'll know exactly what would need to be restored to undo the theme.

k rock

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Permissions:
When your phone boots up for the first time and apps are installed they create a corresponding data folder these folders are assigned a User ID. which the app apk becomes owner of. the ID is assigned in installation order.
Now if for some reason a data folder goes missing as in deleted or corrupted these UID's are regenerated but since they are not doing it in installation order the system instead assigns the ID in alphabetical order.. When this is done the data folders no longer match the application. So when the apk goes to look for its data it finds something that has nothing to do with it. BOOM force close city. We usually fix this by wiping data and letting the apk's reinstall thereby recreating its data folders and reassigning UID's .
when you fix permissions the system goes and corrects this alphabetical mismatch. And you are back to normal. Here is a visual representation of this

fixpermissionsexpl.png

How a Malicious app with root access could theoretically use permissions:
A malicious app could in theory create a Group ID and be a Co-owner of a particular UID, therefore retrieving whatever is created in the original data folder. Here is a visual of what this would look like

maliciousGID-1.png

Fixing Permissions:
Unfortunatly on both Red clockwork's cwm froyo and cwm ALL fix permissions option is broken.
In order to fix permissions you must do it through either ADB commands or from a terminal emulator.

Before being able to use either method to fix permisions you must flash THIS via clockwork (see post #5 flashing a zip)

All methods require superuser permissions (Root)

Fixing from terminal emulator
Download any free Terminal Emulator from the market
from the prompt($) type

$su

(superuser app may ask to allow permission, hit allow. this will change $ to # then)
then type

#fxpms

it should look similar to this

20110313061201-1.png

Fixing with ADB commands
If you dont know how to use adb you can follow this tutorial http://forum.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/56697-how-quick-adb.html and get familiar with it.
I'm assuming if you are attempting to use adb that you know the basics.

Option 1) from command prompt

>adb shell fxpms

adbshellfxpms.png

Option 2)from command prompt

>adb shell

#fxpms

fxpmsadb.png

Thanks very much!

Hopefully I won't need to do any of this for awhile. Looks like I have a lot of reading to do hah.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I haven't been around and changed anything on my phone in a couple of months. So today I upgraded to Superclean 2.9 non-voodoo. I'm liking the change. I then changed to Blackish Storm theme. I'm not sure I like it and would like to change back to the UI/graphics of the SC 2.9 theme. How do I do that? Do I have to flash the ROM again? Will that erase any of my setup, etc. if I don't choose to wipe data? Thanks.

Superclean 2.9 is not a theme it is a ROM. Blackish Storm is a theme that overlays the sc 2.9 ROM. For an excellent explanation of what a ROM and a theme are plus much more check out this thread:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...rs-rooting-read-me-3-10-11-mostly-polish.html

fatkidkustomz

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to share my findings now that I finally successfully flashed a theme on 2.2. Hopefully this helps someone, even though it's kind of just re-hashed from everything here.

Every time I tried, I got stuck in a boot-loop. So, did a little digging for possible solutions.

Ended up re-flashing SC 2.9 (non-wipe). Re-installed CWMRED-ALL (for some reason I kept ending up with CWM Green??), cleared cache AND dalvik cache, then flashed the theme. Bingo. Worked like a charm.

Really a PITA though... lol.

But, since I'm here, can I ask a question I should already know but can't find an answer to? What do I need, and where in the root directory do I need to look to change certain aspects of the themes? Seems as simple as pull/replace, but I can't find where the stuff is.

For example, I like the theme I have, but I want to change the signal meter graphic (if possible), because it's kind of hard to see at a glance. Just want to tweak it a little, and maybe make my own theme when I get some practice under my belt.

Reactions: chopper73

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to share my findings now that I finally successfully flashed a theme on 2.2. Hopefully this helps someone, even though it's kind of just re-hashed from everything here.

Every time I tried, I got stuck in a boot-loop. So, did a little digging for possible solutions.

Ended up re-flashing SC 2.9 (non-wipe). Re-installed CWMRED-ALL (for some reason I kept ending up with CWM Green??), cleared cache AND dalvik cache, then flashed the theme. Bingo. Worked like a charm.

Really a PITA though... lol.

But, since I'm here, can I ask a question I should already know but can't find an answer to? What do I need, and where in the root directory do I need to look to change certain aspects of the themes? Seems as simple as pull/replace, but I can't find where the stuff is.

For example, I like the theme I have, but I want to change the signal meter graphic (if possible), because it's kind of hard to see at a glance. Just want to tweak it a little, and maybe make my own theme when I get some practice under my belt.

Glad the theme flash successfully applied for you. To gain access to the root structure you will need to get a file manager/explorer (Super Manager is free in the market, and Root Explorer is not free in the market) - either will get you to the root directory.

You will need some additional software (sdk, photoshop, 7zip.... etc) to do themes and to adjust the images the way you like them, then to zip them up or other.. Become very familiar with adb (Android Debugging Bridge).

As previously posted by Chris3D - the items you are looking for are in the files:
android.policy.jar
framework.jar
framework-res.apk

And sometimes:
twframework-res.apk
twframework.jar

Inside the system/framework folder..

There is a whole thread on XDA on [How To] theme..
Welcome aboard!

Reactions: fatkidkustomz

fatkidkustomz

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Glad the theme flash successfully applied for you. To gain access to the root structure you will need to get a file manager/explorer (Super Manager is free in the market, and Root Explorer is not free in the market) - either will get you to the root directory.

You will need some additional software (sdk, photoshop, 7zip.... etc) to do themes and to adjust the images the way you like them, then to zip them up or other.. Become very familiar with adb (Android Debugging Bridge).

As previously posted by Chris3D - the items you are looking for are in the files:
android.policy.jar
framework.jar
framework-res.apk

And sometimes:
twframework-res.apk
twframework.jar

Inside the system/framework folder..

There is a whole thread on XDA on [How To] theme..
Welcome aboard!

Thanks. I was getting frustrated, but then I stumbled on the solution of re-flashing the ROM, then trying to re-flash the theme. Worked great.

As far as accessing the root directory, I've had Root Explorer since I first rooted the phone (before the lazy way was available).

I've got WinRAR for .zip files, and definitely know my way around Photoshop fairly well, so I guess I've got some reading to do on ADB, and the rest.

Thanks a ton for the link. Off to read up. :D

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
It's probably easiest to just re-flash the rom, but if you didn't want to for whatever reason, all you really need to do is restore the few files that the theme replaced. You could pull these right out of the SC 2.9 zip file on your sd card using root explorer.

The files usually replaced when flashing a theme are:

android.policy.jar
framework.jar
framework-res.apk

And sometimes:

twframework-res.apk
twframework.jar

These are located in /system/framework. Just copy them out of the rom zip and into your /system/framework directory, reboot and you should be back.

You can always check inside the theme zip file to see what files it replaces, then you'll know exactly what would need to be restored to undo the theme.

I started pulling themes apart to see how deep I may have to dig and now I am finding that at least (NitroComb, NitroDark, Steel Blue, and Midnight) all have system/app folders on board as well when they flash. Likely skinned to best fit into the theme. It almost looks as though the developer is taking theme to near "ROM" status.

Definitely check into what apps are included in your theme flash before you use this method to roll back to base ROM.

Thanks for the tip Chris3D.

fatkidkustomz

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Ok. Another question I just thought of. Say I wanted to flash a theme on the go, without access to my PC. Can I put the .tar file for SC 2.9 on my SD and flash it through CWM in case I need to do it? Sorry if that's a dumb question. I've been awake way too long. Being a repo agent will do that to you. Lol

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Ok. Another question I just thought of. Say I wanted to flash a theme on the go, without access to my PC. Can I put the .tar file for SC 2.9 on my SD and flash it through CWM in case I need to do it? Sorry if that's a dumb question. I've been awake way too long. Being a repo agent will do that to you. Lol

The .tar file will only flash via Odin. It will not flash thru CWM.

If you are going to "Flash on the Fly" - use .zip files - get a copy of the base rom you are using, and the themes you desire.. keep these on the sdcard. You can then use CWM to flash them.

fatkidkustomz

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
The .tar file will only flash via Odin. It will not flash thru CWM.

If you are going to "Flash on the Fly" - use .zip files - get a copy of the base rom you are using, and the themes you desire.. keep these on the sdcard. You can then use CWM to flash them.

You know, I was thinking that right after I posted. Sorry man. It's 10am here. Been up since 1pm yesterday. I think my brain has gone on strike. Maybe it's time for bed.

Thanks again for the help.

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I started pulling themes apart to see how deep I may have to dig and now I am finding that at least (NitroComb, NitroDark, Steel Blue, and Midnight) all have system/app folders on board as well when they flash.

Yup, some themes also include certain apps which have been themed to match the overall interface as well. That's why it's good to peek into the theme zip just to see what will be replaced if you choose to flash it.

But you don't necessarily have to do this beforehand. You can always just pull the original files out of the rom zip file afterwards and copy them back to your /framework and /app directories.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
SC 2.9.1/voodoo EB16 and Nitro Honeycomb v2.0 = #winning. May not be running it for too much longer because that 29.99 unlimited LTE on the Thunderbolt is tempting and most likely won't be around long.

FrankWhite77

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I just rooted/flashed for the first time so pardon me if this has been asked before, there is just a lot of pages here to look through. I flashed superclean 2.8 froyo but now I'm wondering how/what kernel should I put on for best battery life?

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I just rooted/flashed for the first time so pardon me if this has been asked before, there is just a lot of pages here to look through. I flashed superclean 2.8 froyo but now I'm wondering how/what kernel should I put on for best battery life?

Unless your phone is going from a full charge to getting ready to die in less than 5 or 6 hours, just stay where you are. Battery life is a known problem with the EB01 build and there isn't much we can do about it until the official Froyo release and the devs can give us custom and undervolted kernels.

Status
Not open for further replies.