[HOWTO] Fix Camera Failed Error

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Its not terribly common, but there have been some cases where upon installing froyo and updating the camera, the firmware flash has messed up and broken the camera. Make no mistake, this is not a software issue. Its a camera firmware issue and the only way to fix it is to reflash the firmware.

Now, the camera software offers once. After that, if it fails, it isn't going to prompt again.

To get around this:

1. Download Launcher Pro from the market. Any cut and ADW will likely work too.
2. make a new shortcut, to an activity.
3. Scroll to Camera Firmware, and choose the second option (user)
4. Click ok. There is now a shortcut on your homescreen. Choose the third option, Phone to CAM FW Write. Put your phone down and do not touch it until it is done.

Hope this helps.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
my camera worked and prompted me to dl the frim ware and all is well, but you are a machine. i hope you get enough cash from us folks to buy your wife that Nook. i almost have my wife convinced to send some money your way, but she doesnt get this geek stuff. im workin on it though.

tw105188

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Whew...close call adryn ;) lol. Hope she likes it. Thanks for devoting so much time! Goes for all the rest of ya geeks as well!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

tw105188

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Btw, adrny, down loaded your 2.2...still nothing from my battery icon..its weird..had to put on a theme to get battery notification.

tw105188

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Eh i did too and Im very happy with it..just dont like that i 'had' to. Feel like i goofed somewhere....which i probably did lol

UltiMatDan

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Camera Fix Didnt Work

Tried this on my fascinate as well and it didn't fix the "please wait" message and crashing of the camera. Is there another option to try?

Kjax016

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
still didn't fix...

Tried this and I'm still getting a "please wait..." message. Very frustrating! I'm happy with everything else in the update but this sucks!

yaeyaeman

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
I am unable to get this to work either. Is there a need to grant the update app superuser permission or to make the system writable?

Also, I notice that the firmware update progresses steadily up to about 88% and then claims to complete successfully. Is it supposed to skip the last 12%, or could that be why it still doesn't work?

Either way, thanks for the advice on how to try fixing the camera.

Addition: Also, I'm wondering if there might be a corruption in the camera app. Even though it was stated not to be software in the original post, it probably wouldn't hurt to get a working copy of the system camera app posted just for troubleshooting (root access is assumed, of course). That is, if there is such a thing. I'm not too familiar with the actual OS.

Last edited:

nobledean

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Hey, so i have this same problem.. and when i try to make a shortcut, there isn't anything that says "camera firmware", like i'm supposed to click on. please help! thanks:)

nobledean

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
okay, so i got it to the point where it starts to load. but when my phone gets to 99% (250/253) it stops. i don't know what to do. please help, i'm going on vacation soon, and i would like to use my phone. it would mean a lot if i could get your help to fix it. thanks!

smashnlc82

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I am also running launcher pro plus. I do not come across an option to reload the camera firmware. I am running pool party 1.6 with no theme and CWM4. Please help!!! I know if I'm patient you guys will figure it out ......you always do!!!:D

tmags2

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
This happened to me. It was so frustrating. I eventually downloaded gingerbread 2.3.4 and now no problems. When In camera mode, Attempt to shut off phone and you see a lock icon pop up in the upper right corner. Here you can't get out of camera mode unless you hit power again to unlock.

nobledean

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
This happened to me. It was so frustrating. I eventually downloaded gingerbread 2.3.4 and now no problems. When In camera mode, Attempt to shut off phone and you see a lock icon pop up in the upper right corner. Here you can't get out of camera mode unless you hit power again to unlock.

How did you download gingerbread 2.3.4?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1