EB01 texting and wifi tethering.

nuker2guy

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm using handscent, and when I try to send a text more than a page long to someone with at&t, they don't get it. One page works fine. I haven't tried stock sms or texting someone else with verizon, but I can. Also, I know that wifi tethering got blocked or somethimg, and was wondering if we ever got a workaround. Thanks

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm using handscent, and when I try to send a text more than a page long to someone with at&t, they don't get it. One page works fine. I haven't tried stock sms or texting someone else with verizon, but I can. Also, I know that wifi tethering got blocked or somethimg, and was wondering if we ever got a workaround. Thanks

I don't use handscent, so I can't answer that question. As far as the wifi tethering, it's not blocked. Adrynalyne advises against using it because he's not sure how it will interact with the stock kernel. Also there has been some talk that verizon has some type of spying bug in EB01 that looks for wifi tethering and you will get charged for data usage. Bottom line is Adrynalyne is suggesting holding off on wifi tethering until he and the other devs get their hands on the source code and can put out some custom kernels

nuker2guy

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
I try using barnacle wifi legacy, but I can't connect anymore. I used to just fine but after EB01, I can't

Edit: i'm going to try re-downloading it tomorrow and re-allowing it su permission

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

when texting to other networks, whether it be hancent or stock messaging there is a limit of (140 characters i think) if you watch in the upper right hand corner in your stock messanger it tells you how many charcters you have left in page 1.....in handcent there is a setting that sets the limit up for you so you are warned when you get to close to the limit..

As for tethering, i wouldnt suggest using it until there are custom kernels available because we dont know what verizion has done to block or track unauthorized tethering

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
when texting to other networks, whether it be hancent or stock messaging there is a limit of (140 characters i think) if you watch in the upper right hand corner in your stock messanger it tells you how many charcters you have left in page 1.....in handcent there is a setting that sets the limit up for you so you are warned when you get to close to the limit..

As for tethering, i wouldnt suggest using it until there are custom kernels available because we dont know what verizion has done to block or track unauthorized tethering

I don't know about Handcent, but in GO SMS you can set it so it sends texts longer than 160 characters as "pages" instead of one message. The network doesn't do this automatically. For example, if I send a text message to someone on AT&T and it's 200 characters long, the first 160 characters will be sent as one text, and the remaining 40 will be sent right after as a second text.

nuker2guy

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't know about Handcent, but in GO SMS you can set it so it sends texts longer than 160 characters as "pages" instead of one message. The network doesn't do this automatically. For example, if I send a text message to someone on AT&T and it's 200 characters long, the first 160 characters will be sent as one text, and the remaining 40 will be sent right after as a second text.
That's how it's been for me, but when I switched to EB01, it wouldn't even send them as pages.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm using handscent, and when I try to send a text more than a page long to someone with at&t, they don't get it.

The limit, for all carriers is 160. The original Droid used to have the exact same problem as you described. It was absolutely maddening. Luckily Handcent includes a solution that analyzes what you've entered and then chops it into separate messages before sending. Open Handcent's settings, then go to Send message settings> Split 160 > and choose one of the options below the top one (Don't split). I like the last one, because it numbers each one like this:

(1/3) some text
(2/3) some more text
(3/3) even more of some text

It will also prevent this from happening:

(1/3) You're mo
(2/3) m was fun last night.

By making sure there are never incomplete words when splitting. It will always move the word to the next text to prevent that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance