Any way to remove themes?

Jgonzo1299

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Installed Midnight, didnt like it too much so i went to super dark.. flashed it right over. But some aspects still stayed. Like Gmail icons etc etc. i want it to go back to normal. Any ideas?

vi3tboiii54

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Before flashing a theme I perform a nandroid backup of the EB01 ROM so if i had issues with a certain theme i can always go back and reflash another one. So go back to your original ROM and go to superdark. Or try wiping data/cache/system restore if you have everything backed up.

Reactions: Landshark

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Installed Midnight, didnt like it too much so i went to super dark.. flashed it right over. But some aspects still stayed. Like Gmail icons etc etc. i want it to go back to normal. Any ideas?

A few of us had this question, so I played around and did some testing. What we found was there were only two ways to get rid of an installed theme. The first was flashing another theme over the one you didn't want anymore. However if you wanted to go from having a theme to not having one the only way to do that was to flash the modem through ODIN, then boot to recovery and flash the ROM. If you used one of DroidXcon's all-in-one ODIN packages and do not know how to flash the modem and rom separately, then your best bet would be to follow the directions in that thread and repeat the steps to install the version of EB01 you want.

vi3tboiii54 has a good point about making a nandroid backup of just the plain modem and rom to restore back to easily.

Reactions: Jgonzo1299

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Before flashing a theme I perform a nandroid backup of the EB01 ROM so if i had issues with a certain theme i can always go back and reflash another one. So go back to your original ROM and go to superdark. Or try wiping data/cache/system restore if you have everything backed up.

And what am I not getting about your username? I've been trying to figure it out for days.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
you have to flash a modem to get rid of a theme??

If you want to go from having a theme to not having a theme. I did the following things in the following order with no luck: I mounted sd card, deleted theme from my sd card, theme was still on my phone, rebooted phone, theme still there, unmounted sd card, removed it from phone, theme still there, rebooted phone with sd card out, theme still there, cleared cache, cleared dalvik, theme still there, rebooted after the wipes, theme still there. Once you flash a theme it is on the phone.

I suppose you could wipe data/factory reset, but then you'd have to reload everything. At least with reflashing the modem, the rom is still there.

Reactions: Jgonzo1299

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
you have to flash a modem to get rid of a theme??

When we were trying to help someone get rid of a theme, DroidXcon was the one who said only way was to flash a modem in ODIN. He suggested DI01 to get a deep wipe, then start from there.

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I would think if you reflash the ROM it would get rid of the theme. I'm not sure what flashing the modem would have to do with the theme, it doesn't make any sense to me, but I'm also no authority on this.

Jgonzo1299

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
so i guess ill just reflash and re-install everything with the intent of never changing it again. guess ill do it tomorrow and let you all know how it goes. or if i figure something out myself ill post results.. in the mean time, i have a fraternity party to run. Cheers!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
No, modem doesnt have anything to do with it i dont remember what was my reasoning at the time,,,, yeah i think if you reflash the rom it will wipe it

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I would think if you reflash the ROM it would get rid of the theme. I'm not sure what flashing the modem would have to do with the theme, it doesn't make any sense to me, but I'm also no authority on this.

I guess there's only one way to find out. Have a setup where you are running a theme, reboot to recovery and flash a ROM, reboot phone and see if the theme is still there.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
And the test result is yes. Was running superclean 2.4 with touch of blue theme. Booted to recovery, flashed sc 2.4, wiped cache, wiped dalvik, fixed permissions, rebooted and I am at just sc 2.4 with no theme. There is your answer jgonzo1299

EDIT- So now I'm totally confused about switching themes. I thought I could just flash a different theme and I was good to go. Now it seems like perhaps I have to flash the theme and whatever else I wanted to carry over from my previous setup. So my setup before was sc 2.4, touch of blue theme, nuance.zip, and no battery pop up zip. So I do a nandroid backup of that setup, but now I want to have that same setup with two other themes. Does this mean I have to boot to recovery, flash 2.4, new theme, nuance, and no battery pop up? Because by flashing the rom and the theme not carrying over, it's logical to think nuance and no batt pop up didn't carry over either. Anyone know for sure on this? I'm going to post this in the theme thread too.

Last edited:
Reactions: jackmei2

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Well if you want to have some fun you can help me try and figure out the answer to my question in the EDIT section of my last post.

EDIT- So now I'm totally confused about switching themes. I thought I could just flash a different theme and I was good to go. Now it seems like perhaps I have to flash the theme and whatever else I wanted to carry over from my previous setup. So my setup before was sc 2.4, touch of blue theme, nuance.zip, and no battery pop up zip. So I do a nandroid backup of that setup, but now I want to have that same setup with two other themes. Does this mean I have to boot to recovery, flash 2.4, new theme, nuance, and no battery pop up? Because by flashing the rom and the theme not carrying over, it's logical to think nuance and no batt pop up didn't carry over either. Anyone know for sure on this? I'm going to post this in the theme thread too.

oh goodness... that's going to be a lot of flashing! but before I start flashing, here is what I understand. when you flash a rom, you'll notice one of the things the ROM does is delete the partition where the rom is written to. so that previous rom is wiped out, along with anything else such as the theme. so if you flash the rom again, you will have to flash everything else that you wanted also like that nuance.zip and the no batt pop up zip.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
oh goodness... that's going to be a lot of flashing! but before I start flashing, here is what I understand. when you flash a rom, you'll notice one of the things the ROM does is delete the partition where the rom is written to. so that previous rom is wiped out, along with anything else such as the theme. so if you flash the rom again, you will have to flash everything else that you wanted also like that nuance.zip and the no batt pop up zip.

Does that mean if I don't flash the rom again and just flash a different theme I don't have to flash nuance and no bat pop up? Would need to test it by having some zip add on in one set up that will be easy to determine if it is still there after flashing a new theme.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Got an easy test. There is a clock removal mod I can flash. Since I just flashed 2.4 by itself, I will flash touch of blue theme again and flash the clock removal mod. reboot phone to make sure that setup is working. Then I can flash a different theme and if the clock is still missing that would mean the mod did not get wiped out by flashing the theme and carried over.

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Does that mean if I don't flash the rom again and just flash a different theme I don't have to flash nuance and no bat pop up? Would need to test it by having some zip add on in one set up that will be easy to determine if it is still there after flashing a new theme.

nope, no need to flash nuance and nbpu if you just flash a diff theme.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
nope, no need to flash nuance and nbpu if you just flash a diff theme.

And my test confirmed what you said. set up sc 2.4, touch of blue theme, no clock mod. Booted to recovery, flashed superdark theme, rebooted, clock was still gone. Thanks for the info.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
To completely get rid of a theme, you have to flash the ROM again. You can flash a new theme over an existing one, but if the new theme isn't as in depth as the first one, some of the original theme will remain.

For example, theme A covers notifications, first layer menus, second layer menus, etc. Theme B covers notifications and first layer menus only. After flashing theme B, you will have theme B first layer menus AND theme A second layer menus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton