Fascinate Rooting and Rom Manager Issues

sirius_leo

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm at a complete loss, so I'll try and be as detailed as possible.

I've got a Samsung Fascinate through Verizon. After owning the phone for a few months I decided to root it in order to get Wireless Tethering. This is the guide I used to root my phone... http://forum.androidcentral.com/verizon-fascinate-rooting-roms-hacks/33899-how-root.html and all worked well. After it rebooted I had the Superuser app and was able to use root applications from the Marketplace, (like wireless tethering). A couple weeks ago I decided to take my rooted Fascinate a little further so I downloaded Rom Manager and followed all the steps that I found on a guide from this website...

1. Downloaded Rom Manager
2. Started application and selected 'Flash Clockwork Mod Recovery.
3. Selected my phone, (Samsung S Fascinate). Every time I'd get the, 'successfully downloaded clockworkmod recover!' prompt.
4. Selected the, 'reboot into recovery' option.
5. The phone would reboot into recovery and I'd see a progress bar moving across the screen with the little android dude.
6. It would get about 1/4 way through and then error out to the, 'Android system recovery <2e>'. The error says...

E:failed to verify whole-file signature
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted

7. I'd then use the volume down and select the, 'apply sdcard:update.zip' and no matter how many time I click it I get the same error.
8. After all this I looked for other option, and that's where I ran into the Odin method. After a few tries I mastered getting into download mode and Odin sees my phone, but when I try and push the, 'CWMrecovery.rar' file it fails, over and over.
9. The last thing I tried was restoring the phone to factory specs through the, 'Android system recovery <2e>' and after backing up my sdcard through Titanium Backup and then restored it too - just started fresh and tried all these steps again with the exact same result.

I just don't get it and I'm at a complete loss.

I know I'm probably leaving out stuff so please just ask if you need any further information.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm at a complete loss, so I'll try and be as detailed as possible.

I've got a Samsung Fascinate through Verizon. After owning the phone for a few months I decided to root it in order to get Wireless Tethering. This is the guide I used to root my phone... http://forum.androidcentral.com/verizon-fascinate-rooting-roms-hacks/33899-how-root.html and all worked well. After it rebooted I had the Superuser app and was able to use root applications from the Marketplace, (like wireless tethering). A couple weeks ago I decided to take my rooted Fascinate a little further so I downloaded Rom Manager and followed all the steps that I found on a guide from this website...

1. Downloaded Rom Manager
2. Started application and selected 'Flash Clockwork Mod Recovery.
3. Selected my phone, (Samsung S Fascinate). Every time I'd get the, 'successfully downloaded clockworkmod recover!' prompt.
4. Selected the, 'reboot into recovery' option.
5. The phone would reboot into recovery and I'd see a progress bar moving across the screen with the little android dude.
6. It would get about 1/4 way through and then error out to the, 'Android system recovery <2e>'. The error says...

E:failed to verify whole-file signature
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted

7. I'd then use the volume down and select the, 'apply sdcard:update.zip' and no matter how many time I click it I get the same error.
8. After all this I looked for other option, and that's where I ran into the Odin method. After a few tries I mastered getting into download mode and Odin sees my phone, but when I try and push the, 'CWMrecovery.rar' file it fails, over and over.
9. The last thing I tried was restoring the phone to factory specs through the, 'Android system recovery <2e>' and after backing up my sdcard through Titanium Backup and then restored it too - just started fresh and tried all these steps again with the exact same result.

I just don't get it and I'm at a complete loss.

I know I'm probably leaving out stuff so please just ask if you need any further information.

what build number are you using

if you are using anything higher than DI01 use post #4 in this thread, it will get you both clockwork and root, this could have been found in the stickys.
http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...659-guide-all-about-rooting-faqs-how-tos.html

Also found in the sticky, you could get froyo root and clockwork in one shot using one of these odin packages
http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...roms-w-root-new-clockwork-updated-2-15-a.html