EB01...battery...running apps

Matt F.

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I have been running EB01 and like a lot of people experiencing horrible battery life, I have wiped the battery stats and now am in the process of running the battery down. The battery icon says full and when I go to battery stats it says 80, so the two are not linked properly. What I am wondering is why are so many apps running in the background under settings-applications-running services. When I have back ground data and auto sync off? I have to go in and manually turn each one off. If I can't get this battery running better I am going to have to go back to 2.1

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I have been running EB01 and like a lot of people experiencing horrible battery life, I have wiped the battery stats and now am in the process of running the battery down. The battery icon says full and when I go to battery stats it says 80, so the two are not linked properly. What I am wondering is why are so many apps running in the background under settings-applications-running services. When I have back ground data and auto sync off? I have to go in and manually turn each one off. If I can't get this battery running better I am going to have to go back to 2.1

To get your battery synced, are you making sure it's totally at 100%? To do that, let it charge until you get the battery full notification, then turn the phone off and let it sit on the charger. Some time later, the screen will light up with a battery and 100% on it. Only then is the battery truly charged. You can't rely on the notification within Android if the battery is clearly out of sync.

Once you get the full battery display with the phone off, boot into Clockwork, clear battery stats (or use the script Adrenalyn posted) and then let it run down with normal use.

Battery life is definitely worse than what we were able to achieve on 2.1, but I think that's because most kernels were undervolted. Once Samsung releases the source code and the devs build new undervolted kernels, the battery life should be back.

On the running services, it's the nature of the beast. If you have a lot of apps installed, you'll end up with a bunch running in the background. Some of it is Verizon crap, some of it is Samsung crap, which can be removed. I remove any apk with DRM in it's name, I remove Verizon's Visual Voice Mail app (since I don't use VVM), I remove all the BlueTooth apks since I don't use any BlueTooth devices, and I only have a small handful of running services in that list.

No question you shouldn't *have* to do all this to get acceptable battery life, but it is what it is...

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
To get your battery synced, are you making sure it's totally at 100%? To do that, let it charge until you get the battery full notification, then turn the phone off and let it sit on the charger. Some time later, the screen will light up with a battery and 100% on it. Only then is the battery truly charged. You can't rely on the notification within Android if the battery is clearly out of sync.

Once you get the full battery display with the phone off, boot into Clockwork, clear battery stats (or use the script Adrenalyn posted) and then let it run down with normal use.

Battery life is definitely worse than what we were able to achieve on 2.1, but I think that's because most kernels were undervolted. Once Samsung releases the source code and the devs build new undervolted kernels, the battery life should be back.

On the running services, it's the nature of the beast. If you have a lot of apps installed, you'll end up with a bunch running in the background. Some of it is Verizon crap, some of it is Samsung crap, which can be removed. I remove any apk with DRM in it's name, I remove Verizon's Visual Voice Mail app (since I don't use VVM), I remove all the BlueTooth apks since I don't use any BlueTooth devices, and I only have a small handful of running services in that list.

No question you shouldn't *have* to do all this to get acceptable battery life, but it is what it is...

to add to that, this a rejected leak. so it may be that sammy didnt get something right, and thats why eb16 is being tossed around.

also i have noticed that for many the gps can no longer stay on. i have seen my battery life get suck through a straw with the gps on and it remain fairly stable with it off. on eclaire you could leave it on all the time and it would only drain your battery when an app was using it.

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Yea, I've noticed we're back to GPS issues with EB01 too - tried to use it this past weekend, and it wouldn't lock at all until I rebooted, and I had to reboot every time I wanted to use it.

That and the camcorder records audio slightly out of sync with the video.

Here's hoping they release the source code soon so JT and the others can fix all the stuff Samsung seemingly can't.

dwc5000

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I did as suggested above and my battery life increased and has gotten better.
It still isn't like it was on eclair, but it could the undervolted issue Chris 3D talked about. I will be glad when its kinks are worked out because it should be better now that we have such awesome Rom's now:)

Matt F.

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
My battery also got a little better especially when it sits idle. I left it off the charger last night for six hours and it only lost five percent.

GalaxyNole

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I tried all the battery tricks and nothing has worked, getting about 7 hours battery life with moderate use. The only thing that HAS worked is turning off the mobile data and only turning it on when I wanna use it. This method has been getting me around 15 to 20 hours.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shae