My friends messed up his phone and wants me to fix it

user88

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Hello all, I have an Evo so I'm not really in the Fascinate loop, but my friend rooted his and now it doesn't do much. From what he told me, he successfully rooted it and then used a task killer and killed something that he shouldn't have. Currently if you power on the phone it gets to the Verizon animation and lingers there for awhile until it just goes to a blank screen. If you hold power+volume buttons it goes into the bootloader and gives the options of reboot system now, apply sdcard:update.zip, wipe data/factory reset, and wipe cache partition. I've done the reset/wipe data/partition, and when I do the sdcard it shows a triangle with the android dude.

I've looked around a little bit, but like I said I'm used to the Evo ways so any help/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Hello all, I have an Evo so I'm not really in the Fascinate loop, but my friend rooted his and now it doesn't do much. From what he told me, he successfully rooted it and then used a task killer and killed something that he shouldn't have. Currently if you power on the phone it gets to the Verizon animation and lingers there for awhile until it just goes to a blank screen. If you hold power+volume buttons it goes into the bootloader and gives the options of reboot system now, apply sdcard:update.zip, wipe data/factory reset, and wipe cache partition. I've done the reset/wipe data/partition, and when I do the sdcard it shows a triangle with the android dude.

I've looked around a little bit, but like I said I'm used to the Evo ways so any help/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

well lets fix this up for him and make his phone awesome in the mean time...

first download the drivers HERE

flash the superclean 2.6 package,, the instructions in that thread are pretty straight forward,,, since you cant boot the phone up just skip step 1

http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...ged-roms-w-root-clockwork-updated-2-27-a.html

if you need visual aid for how to use odin use this
http://forum.androidcentral.com/599598-post4.html

let me know if you have more questions

user88

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
well lets fix this up for him and make his phone awesome in the mean time...

first download the drivers HERE

flash the superclean 2.6 package,, the instructions in that thread are pretty straight forward,,, since you cant boot the phone up just skip step 1

http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...ged-roms-w-root-clockwork-updated-2-27-a.html

if you need visual aid for how to use odin use this
http://forum.androidcentral.com/599598-post4.html

let me know if you have more questions

Awesome, thanks for the quick response! However, I'm on a mac..does this change things? should I just find a PC? Or is it still all doable?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Awesome, thanks for the quick response! However, I'm on a mac..does this change things? should I just find a PC? Or is it still all doable?

unless you have bootcamp and windows installed on your mac, ,,,i suggest finding a PC, there is no mac support for this

randomcho18

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
DroidXcon...I wanted to say thanks for you post. User88 is my friend and he was trying to fix my phone for me. I successfully fixed my phone per your instructions.
I wanted to ask you though. I messed up my phone the first time using a task killer with it rooted so I am guessing that is a bad idea. Can you please give me some advice on whether or not task killers or anti virus software are good for rooted phones?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
DroidXcon...I wanted to say thanks for you post. User88 is my friend and he was trying to fix my phone for me. I successfully fixed my phone per your instructions.
I wanted to ask you though. I messed up my phone the first time using a task killer with it rooted so I am guessing that is a bad idea. Can you please give me some advice on whether or not task killers or anti virus software are good for rooted phones?

Yes sir i can help,,,,task killers are not necessary , it does more harm than good if not used properly , Android is not IOS or windows , it was designed to multitask and manage apps on its own. the only time it is necessary to close an app is if it crashes and locks up , or if it is somthing like a music app or a navigation app and these either have an exit button ,,,or you can long hold the home button and use the native task manager.

anti viruses are not necessary as of now,,i have been on here for months and i have over 4000 posts and i have not once heard of anyone with a virus...so not needed.

im glad you got your phone up and running, congrats:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781