Difference in rooting phone with computer and over the air???

georgiadaisy

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I have ordered a Samsung Fascinate and I am currently waiting for it to arrive. I have a question--My husband has a droid 2 and somebody at worked helped him do superuser and a couple of other programs to be able to connect a laptop without using the mobile hotspot. Now in this forum I keep seeing where you MUST connect to a computer to root. Can you please explain the difference to me. I want to be able to save apps to the card since you only have 2 gb internal to work with and also do the laptop thing. Thanks in advance for you time.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I think you may be a little confused. You use the computer to root, meaning root access to everything on the phone, and then you can use an app for wireless tethering. There was an app, z4root, that would root your phone without the need of a PC, but it no longer works with the Fascinate. So you use a computer to root, then you can do all that other stuff

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I think you may be a little confused. You use the computer to root, meaning root access to everything on the phone, and then you can use an app for wireless tethering. There was an app, z4root, that would root your phone without the need of a PC, but it no longer works with the Fascinate. So you use a computer to root, then you can do all that other stuff

i think we can get root working without a computer now,,, actually im going to try it right now, maybe i can get a tutorial up if it works . keep an eye out

georgiadaisy

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I sure I am confused. He did the wireless tethering to his droid 2 but never used the computer. (so does this mean his phone is NOT rooted) I will find out exactly which programs he used and let you know. Should I update the phone before I root it??? Thanks

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I sure I am confused. He did the wireless tethering to his droid 2 but never used the computer. (so does this mean his phone is NOT rooted) I will find out exactly which programs he used and let you know. Should I update the phone before I root it??? Thanks

do you not have a computer, is that why you want to root without a computer or because you think its easier?

georgiadaisy

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I do have a computer. I just thought it might be easier--also was wondering why on my husbands phone he didn't have to hook it to a computer to enable wireless tethering.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon