Running 2.6 SC, having strange problems

drjohnson89

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I had been running SC 2.2 with little problems and decided to jump to 2.4 when it came out. I had several strange force close problems with the weather channel widget upon using 2.4, so I decided 2.6 might fix them. I've made the jump to 2.6 and still have weather channel widget force close issues, and occasionally my entire phone will be out of commission for a good minute or two. The screen will go black and all of the soft key buttons will light up. This goes on for about a minute before the screen comes back at the lock screen, media scanner running etc as if it just started. This has happened several times now and I am at a loss as to what could be causing it. My phone also seems extremely sluggish sometimes after I unlock it, for about a minute. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. It would now appear my Weatherbug as well as my facebook widgets are both broken, as they say "Problem Loading Widget". The only thing I'd done since this is wipe the dalvik cache and do a nandroid backup. If I were to boot into clockwork and do the system wipe/recovery option would my phone be at stock? Or should I just flash the D101 over it using Odin if I wanted to undo everything?

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I had been running SC 2.2 with little problems and decided to jump to 2.4 when it came out. I had several strange force close problems with the weather channel widget upon using 2.4, so I decided 2.6 might fix them. I've made the jump to 2.6 and still have weather channel widget force close issues, and occasionally my entire phone will be out of commission for a good minute or two. The screen will go black and all of the soft key buttons will light up. This goes on for about a minute before the screen comes back at the lock screen, media scanner running etc as if it just started. This has happened several times now and I am at a loss as to what could be causing it. My phone also seems extremely sluggish sometimes after I unlock it, for about a minute. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. It would now appear my Weatherbug as well as my facebook widgets are both broken, as they say "Problem Loading Widget". The only thing I'd done since this is wipe the dalvik cache and do a nandroid backup. If I were to boot into clockwork and do the system wipe/recovery option would my phone be at stock? Or should I just flash the D101 over it using Odin if I wanted to undo everything?

it wont leave you stock but it will leave you wiped of data if you wipe from clockwork this may help , if it does i would slowly restore apps to see if it was one of your apps conflicting

so the best be would be to wipe data and wipe cache partition

if you want to do a full wipe use the file in this thread

http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...nmodified-stock-engineering-test-package.html

Reactions: drjohnson89

drjohnson89

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the speedy response! (Do you ever sleep? Nevermind, its 2011, we don't sleep). If I wipe the data and cache partition will I lose contacts? I have them saved on my SD card (via the contact menu option), so they should be safe I'm guessing. Also, someone mentioned in another forum that having an SD card that resembles a dump can slow it down due to the media scanner needing to run etc., could this be true? If so, what should I delete from my SD card without messing anything up?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the speedy response! (Do you ever sleep? Nevermind, its 2011, we don't sleep). If I wipe the data and cache partition will I lose contacts? I have them saved on my SD card (via the contact menu option), so they should be safe I'm guessing. Also, someone mentioned in another forum that having an SD card that resembles a dump can slow it down due to the media scanner needing to run etc., could this be true? If so, what should I delete from my SD card without messing anything up?

i sleep from around 7am till 1pm,,,wiping data will delete your contacts....you can export your contacts to sd if you want , then you can copy your whole card to a file on your computer then format your card if you want

instructions on backing up your contacts to your sd card can be found here in post 3 i think

http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...ll-system-wipe-restore-samsung-fascinate.html

Reactions: drjohnson89

drjohnson89

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm jealous of that sleeping schedule! I've got my contacts backed up on my computer as a Vcard File. So from clockwork I should format my sd card, wipe partition, and wipe my phone? That sounds like a good clean slate to me. Also, I notice in that post you say it will bring the partitions back to stock. Is there any way to edit the partitions, or any advantage to doing so? Do most custom roms/kernels edit these? Thanks again!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm jealous of that sleeping schedule! I've got my contacts backed up on my computer as a Vcard File. So from clockwork I should format my sd card, wipe partition, and wipe my phone? That sounds like a good clean slate to me. Also, I notice in that post you say it will bring the partitions back to stock. Is there any way to edit the partitions, or any advantage to doing so? Do most custom roms/kernels edit these? Thanks again!

dont even think about touching the partitions lol

you can format your card from the phone settings>sd card and storage>unmount> format sd card

just flash the file from the link i gave you it will get you to good

drjohnson89

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Haha alright! As a lifetime pc user I always cringe at the word "partition". This usually translates to wasted space that could be better utilized in my mind. I'll definitely stay away from it on here however haha. Looks like I'll be flashing D101 and formatting my SD card if I ever finish studying for mid terms. Should I maybe try flashing EB01 debloated/deodexed instead of superclean? Or try superclean again and install the apps one at a time as you suggested?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Haha alright! As a lifetime pc user I always cringe at the word "partition". This usually translates to wasted space that could be better utilized in my mind. I'll definitely stay away from it on here however haha. Looks like I'll be flashing D101 and formatting my SD card if I ever finish studying for mid terms. Should I maybe try flashing EB01 debloated/deodexed instead of superclean? Or try superclean again and install the apps one at a time as you suggested?

flash this
http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...nmodified-stock-engineering-test-package.html

then after that you can flash superclean

drjohnson89

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Ah, that link. Lack of sleep on this end. This is completely off topic, have you heard anything positive about any of the cheaper android tablets? I was reading up on the Ouku tab as well as the Coby tab (coby has an awful rep but from what I've read it's not awful). I was thinking of investing more for just tinkering with it.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Ah, that link. Lack of sleep on this end. This is completely off topic, have you heard anything positive about any of the cheaper android tablets? I was reading up on the Ouku tab as well as the Coby tab (coby has an awful rep but from what I've read it's not awful). I was thinking of investing more for just tinkering with it.

oh i have seen like 100 tabs at like cvs that worked good but then died after an hour so i dont know about those cheaper tabs

drjohnson89

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
That's kinda my concern too haha. From what I've read on the Ouku it's a fairly decent tab if you aren't wanting cutting edge. Oh well, the way I look at it the fascinate is big enough to be one haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz