CyanogenMod, MIUI, or Super Clean?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
So I have been taking it slow with my Fascinate. I used the stock stuff for a month, rooted and rom'd (mostly SC) and left it "stock" for a month, now I am into messing around with customizing the look and feel of the whole thing.

I am off to a good start, and I am 2/3's of the way through that "post your screenshot" thread, reading them all and checking out all the cool apps/wallpapers/icons along the way. I have made some cool improvements thanks to you all and am maybe 1/3 of the way though making it the way I want.

Then I realized that I needed to stop because of my uncertainty over which base to stay with.

The question comes down to this. CyanogenMod, MIUI, or Super Clean? Advantage/disadvantages?

I have gone through most of Google and have a good handle on some of it, but I want to hear it from you guys.

I know you might start out with "well what do you want to do with it?" All I really am concerned with is stability, the ability to customize (minus programming my own), and flexibility (keeping the "base" up to date).

Thoughts?

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Yea, the major fully functional 2.2 roms are SuperClean and BlackHole, in addition to newer (and more beta) roms like TrulyFascinating, SlicedFlav and DarkRevenge. These are basically modified versions of the stock rom and should fully support all phone functions. Check out XDA for threads on each of these.

Cyanogen (Kaosinate), MIUI and JT's Vanilla AOSP FroYo are all based on non-Samsung source and are very much alpha builds at this point, and none yet fully support all functions. If you're feeling adventurous, you can install them to get a preview of what's to come, but none of these are quite "daily drivers" yet.

Reactions: anon(94115)

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Yea, the major fully functional 2.2 roms are SuperClean and BlackHole, in addition to newer (and more beta) roms like TrulyFascinating, SlicedFlav and DarkRevenge. These are basically modified versions of the stock rom and should fully support all phone functions. Check out XDA for threads on each of these.

Cyanogen (Kaosinate), MIUI and JT's Vanilla AOSP FroYo are all based on non-Samsung source and are very much alpha builds at this point, and none yet fully support all functions. If you're feeling adventurous, you can install them to get a preview of what's to come, but none of these are quite "daily drivers" yet.

The splicedflav is an. Odexed rom. I wouls stay away. If you are just starting I would go withe superclean or darkrevenge. They are both very stable. Darkrevenge is based on superclean 2.8 framework.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

TCStehle

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
My suggestion would be SC due in large part to the amount of support you'll receive in this forum. Not saying the other devs don't support their ROMs just that my personal experience in this forum has been awesome.

NOsquid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Any of the ones that are based off Samsung's stuff are fully functional (ie SC, Blackhole, Superdark/DarkRevenge). The "real" ROMs like AOSP, Cyanogen, MIUI have issues that may or may not matter to you. All the Touchwiz/Samsung ROMs are very similar, I'd just go with SC because it's the most popular and it'll be easier to get support.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Any of the ones that are based off Samsung's stuff are fully functional (ie SC, Blackhole, Superdark/DarkRevenge). The "real" ROMs like AOSP, Cyanogen, MIUI have issues that may or may not matter to you. All the Touchwiz/Samsung ROMs are very similar, I'd just go with SC because it's the most popular and it'll be easier to get support.

how the heck do you pronounce "Cyanogen" and "Miui"?

n8wwd

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Just be careful in trying to enunciate those two..may be a real bad Curse word in Swahili or cause a cramp in your mouth..:p

imokurnot

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
SC is really stable. I just switched to MiUi (my-ewe-eeeee ?)and even though it is really buggy I like it. I have been running it for a few days and I can deal with the bugs cause I got the coolest phone in town. I don't mind trouble shooting the problems but then I am the guy that dismantles all of his new toys ;) 1.9.16 isn't too bad. 1.8.5 gave me more headaches actually sitting in my chair tweaking the themes and playing with all the setting gave me a pain in the neck... guess I am too old to sit for hours looking at my lap.