[How to] Install and Use Clockworkmod Recovery w/Screen captures

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Post #1 = Index
Post #2 = FAQs
Post #3 = Installing and controling Clockwork
Post #4 = Wiping Data,cache partition, and Dalvik cache
Post #5 = Flashing a zip file (ex.Roms,themes,kernels and apps)
Post #6 = Nandroid Backup and Restore
Post #7 = Fixing Permissions
Post #8 = Wiping Battery Stats
Post #9 = Enable and Disable Voodoo Lagfix
Post#10= Credits

For Mac OS X instructions please visit this thread http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...4-guide-tools-information-mac-os-x-users.html

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
FAQs

Installing and using Clockworkmod recovery as any other hacking is done at your own risk, I nor Android Central are
responsible for anything that users do to their phone. That being said, Have fun :)

Q: What is ClockworkMod Recovery(aka CWM or clockwork)?
A: ClockworkMod Recovery is a custom recovery that allows you to install custom ROMs, themes, patches,applications and more.It can also be used to do many other fuctions which the most commonly used will be outlined in this tutorial. It was developed by Koushik Dutta. The mose recent versions have been modified by jt1134 over at the XDA forums to work with all versions of fascinate builds.

Q:I just downloaded Rom Manager from the market but clockworkmod recovery is not working?
A:At the moment the latest versions of clockworkmod recovery are orange with build numbers 3.x.x. Unfortunatley this can not be used because in order to install any flashable .zip file a script of code is required to direct the installation. At the moment almost everything written for fascinate has been written in a language called Amend. The most recent version 3.x.x only accepts a language called Edify, in previous versions of clockwork (anything under 3.x.x) were compatible with both Amend and Edify. There are also other limitations why Rom Manager can not be used but i dont understand them nor will i pretend i do, but honestly does it really matter? Lets just focus on what works. While the devs take care of finding a way to make it work.

Q: What is the best most recent version of clockworkmod?
A: Currently the latest and greatest version of clockworkmod is Red CWM ALL. There are instructions and downloads in post #2 of this thread.

Q: My clockwork is Red does this mean i have the latest, CWM ALL?
A: No, there is also CWM froyo which was the version just before all, you can not distinguish the 2 because both share the same version number. But the ways you can distingush them is this.
Red CWM ALL:when booting into recovery you directly enter red clockwork screen.
Red CWM froyo:when booting into recovery you first enter Stock blue recovery and need to apply sdcard:update.zip to enter into clockwork
Since Red cwm froyo doesnt have voodoo lagfix support you will see various errors when entering,these wont be see in Red CWM ALL version

Q: I have flashed a custom rom via Odin, Do i really need Clockwork?
A: Yes and no. When using Odin you are limited to what the designer of the package gives you, this is great for people who are beginning trying out different roms but in advanced situations you will want to try different themes, kernels, patches or roms, and unless someone makes a odin package for every combination you need Clockwork. Also clockwork can be used independently of a computer. Simply download what you want from your browser directly to your SD card , boot into clockwork and flash. No computer needed.

Q: Will i lose anything by installing Clockwork?
A: No, when flashing the kernel required to make clockwork possible it flashes to its own partition on the phone and does not touch anything that has to do with data or the OS.

Q: Do i need to root to install clockwork?
A: No, clockwork can be installed via odin and root is not required. If flashing it from Rom Manager yes root is required but as discussed earlier at the moment flashing from rom manager is not effective or recommended.

Q: Does having clockwork void my warranty?
A: As always , Yes and no. if you are caught then most likely but if you are at the point of flashing clockwork then you are savvy enough to use Odin to flash a stock rom and problem is solved.

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Installing and controling Clockwork

Installing Clockwork:
In this section i will only be discussing CWM ALL and Cwm froyo(not fully fuctional)

DO NOT USE ROM MANAGER, IT IS MORE CONFUSION THAN IT'S WORTH SINCE IT IS NOT FULLY FUNCTIONAL SEE FAQ ABOVE

Red Cwm froyo: requires update.zip on your sdcard to enter,, chances are if have cwm froyo its because you used my odin package. I am not able to use CWM All because it causes problems wiping your phone when you boot up after flashing. Cwm froryo will allow you to flash roms and themes but nandroid backups have problems and you can not use it for Voodo, below i will discuss how to identify and enter cwm froyo.

Red CWM ALL:is fully functional clockwork recovery that does not require update.zip, it will boot into clockwork directly without going through stock recovery.Installation requries Odin, there are other ways but they require much more work and knowledge of adb. But for this tutorial i will only provide instructions for odin

Installing CWM ALL instructions and downloads

Installing with odin:
  1. Download and intsall the Fascinate drivers found HERE
  2. Download the ODIN file HERE
  3. If your phone is plugged into your computer, unplug it now.
  4. If your phone is not powered down, power it down now.
  5. Remove battery from phone.
  6. Launch ODIN on PC.
  7. Plug USB cable into phone.
  8. Plug your Fascinate into the PC via USB cable.
  9. Press and hold the volume-down key.
  10. You should now see a gigantic yellow triangle and your phone will be in download mode. You can now release the volume key.
  11. Click on the PDA button in ODIN. Do NOT click the Phone button.
  12. Choose the file cwm-recovery-ALL.tar which can be downloaded HERE
  13. When all the above conditions have been met hit the Start button
For those of you who are visual learners like me i have a write up of the above Odin process with pictures HERE

Installing from older versions of clockwork only
  1. Download CWM flashable zip HERE
  2. Place on the root of your SD card
  3. Boot into recovery
  4. apply sdcard:update.zip
  5. enter clockwork recovery
  6. choose install zip from sd
  7. choose cwm-recovery-ALL.zip
  8. Reboot your phone
  9. delete update.zip from root of SD card
  10. aslo delete recovery-update.zip from clockworkmod folder

Entering clockwork recovery ALL
With the phone off press and hold Volume up+Volume down+Power button.
Samsung logo will flash twice, after the second one let go of the buttons.
This will lead you into clockwork.

Entering clockwork recovery from a custom ROM
If you are using a custom rom it is usually standard for a boot menu added.
You can get to it by holding down the power button for about 5seconds.
enterrecovery-1.png

Entering clockwork recovery froyo
With the phone off press and hold Volume up+Volume down+Power button.
Samsung logo will flash twice, after the second one let go of the buttons.
This will lead you into blue recovery, with the volume keys scroll to
apply sdcard:update.zip then hit the home button.

Controlling Clockwork:

Stock Recovery
Volume up and down = Scroll up and down
Menu= Screen sleep
Home= Select

Red Clockwork
Volume up and down = Scroll up and down
Menu= Back / Screen sleep
Home= Screen sleep
Back= Select
Power= Select
Search= Back

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Wiping Data,cache partition, and Dalvik cache

Wiping Data:
This will erase all contacts apps and any other data on the phone
Wiping data is usually done before flashing a Rom.
Necessary when moving from build to build for example: Eclair to Froyo.
Not as necessary when moving from Rom to Rom within the same build.
Although not always necessary consider this as a solutions if wiping cache and dalvik cache when force close loops happen.

To initiate a data wipe from clockwork
wipedataproc.png

*******************************************************************************************************

Wiping Cache partition:
This will not erase any contacts or apps.
This should be done everytime a new rom is flashed.
If caught in a force close loop it is usually a good idea to go back and wipe cache again

To initiate a Cache partition wipe from clockwork
wipecacheproc.png

********************************************************************************************************
Wiping Dalvik Cache:
This will not erase any contacts or apps.
Although not necessary to be done before every rom it is a good idea to wipe.
Dalvik cache can grow very large the more apps you had before flashing the new rom
the longer it will take to boot the new one as it will build upon the already large Dalvik cache.
So making it a habit to wipe dalvik cache can only help you .

To initiate a Dalvik cache wipe from clockwork
dalvikwipeproc.png

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Flashing a zip file (ex.Roms,themes,kernels and apps)

Flashing a zip file:
Zip files can be flashed for many different reasons such as applying roms, themes, kernels and applications.
Before flashing a zip file you must make sure that the file is for your particular device and will be compatible
with the current build you are on.
When flashing a zip wiping data or cache is usually not necessary, Unless you are flashing a Rom then wiping data or cache may be necessary(see post #4)

When flashing Voodoo you must enable lagfix before rebooting the system (see post #9)

To flash a zip file from clockwork
zipflashproc-1.png

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Nandroid Backup and Restore

Nandroid Backup/Restore:
This is a backup that takes a snapshot of your operating system, your data and settings.
This is similar to a restore point on a desktop computer.
It is an excellent tool if you like to flash roms on your device and you run into trouble.
A nandroid restore will bring you back to the state your phone was in at the time you made the backup.
It is important to note that a Nandroid backup does not backup/restore your kernel or modem,
so its important to be aware that you may have to flash a compatible modem and kernel to restore full functionality to your device.
Backups can be renamed by either using a file manager on your phone or mounting your card to your computer.
sdcard>clockwork>backup> then rename the back up of your choice.

To create a Nandroid Backup
nandroidbackupproc.png

To restore from a Nandroid Backup
nandroidrestoreproc-1.png

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Fixing Permissions

Permissions:
When your phone boots up for the first time and apps are installed they create a corresponding data folder these folders are assigned a User ID. which the app apk becomes owner of. the ID is assigned in installation order.
Now if for some reason a data folder goes missing as in deleted or corrupted these UID's are regenerated but since they are not doing it in installation order the system instead assigns the ID in alphabetical order.. When this is done the data folders no longer match the application. So when the apk goes to look for its data it finds something that has nothing to do with it. BOOM force close city. We usually fix this by wiping data and letting the apk's reinstall thereby recreating its data folders and reassigning UID's .
when you fix permissions the system goes and corrects this alphabetical mismatch. And you are back to normal. Here is a visual representation of this

fixpermissionsexpl.png

How a Malicious app with root access could theoretically use permissions:
A malicious app could in theory create a Group ID and be a Co-owner of a particular UID, therefore retrieving whatever is created in the original data folder. Here is a visual of what this would look like

maliciousGID-1.png

Fixing Permissions:
Unfortunatly on both Red clockwork's cwm froyo and cwm ALL fix permissions option is broken.
In order to fix permissions you must do it through either ADB commands or from a terminal emulator.

Before being able to use either method to fix permisions you must flash THIS via clockwork (see post #5 flashing a zip)

All methods require superuser permissions (Root)

Fixing from terminal emulator
Download any free Terminal Emulator from the market. Here is the one i use
Android Market= Android Terminal Emulator
AppBrain= Android Terminal Emulator
terminalemulator.png

from the prompt($) type

$su

(superuser app may ask to allow permission, hit allow. this will change $ to # then)
then type

#fxpms

it should look similar to this

20110313061201-1.png

Fixing with ADB commands
If you dont know how to use adb you can follow this tutorial http://forum.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/56697-how-quick-adb.html and get familiar with it.
I'm assuming if you are attempting to use adb that you know the basics.

Option 1) from command prompt

>adb shell fxpms

adbshellfxpms.png

Option 2)from command prompt

>adb shell

#fxpms

fxpmsadb.png

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Wiping Battery Stats

Wiping battery stats:
When flashing roms data is not always wiped. After numerous flashes it is possible for the battery % to be slightly off.
Best way of restting this is to shut your phone off and charge till it is fully charged. Then boot directly into clockwork recovery.

Wiping battery stats

wipebatteryproc.png

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Enable and Disable Voodoo Lagfix

Enable and Disable Voodoo Lagfix:
After flashing a voodoo kernel lagfix will usually intiate conversion itself but this is not always the case,
the best way to ensure conversion will initiate is to enable lagfix.
When flashing a nonvoodoo kernel after your phone has converted lagfix,
it is Highly recommended to disable lagfix first.
To learn more about Voodoo please join this discussion http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...ks/55753-how-voodoo-updated-9-mar-2011-a.html

Enabling Lagfix
After flashing a voodoo kernel (see post #5 how to flash) Lagfix should be enabled before reboot.

enablelagfixproc.png

Disabling Lagfix
Before flashing a nonvoodoo kernel to a lagfixed enabled system lagfix needs to be disabled. After it is disabled fully reboot your system then you can power down, boot back into clockwork recovery and flash your new kernel.

disablelagfixproc.png

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Credits

Credits

Last edited:

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
You da Man!

Awesome job bro! Breaking it down the way you did certainly makes it easier to understand than my war and peace novel sized explanation of how to flash through CWM. I will be referring everyone to this thread. I definitely agree on the sticky recommendation, especially with the frustration over the Froyo delay creating an ever-increasing wave of new rooters coming here. This is one of the best tutorials they will need, and the screenshots are awesome.

ITF36059

Dis-Member
Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Awesome job bro! Breaking it down the way you did certainly makes it easier to understand than my war and peace novel sized explanation of how to flash through CWM. I will be referring everyone to this thread. I definitely agree on the sticky recommendation, especially with the frustration over the Froyo delay creating an ever-increasing wave of new rooters coming here. This is one of the best tutorials they will need, and the screenshots are awesome.

Yeah Sharky, I wish I had see this before I flashed 2.9.1! Oh well practice make perfect...

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah Sharky, I wish I had see this before I flashed 2.9.1! Oh well practice make perfect...

Yeah, it just took him a while to put it together. I'm glad it took a while though because of how complete, thorough and detailed it is. This will be an invaluable tool for anyone rooting and flashing.

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Wiping battery stats:
When flashing roms data is not always wiped. After numerous flashes it is possible for the battery % to be slightly off.
Best way of restting this is to shut your phone off and charge till it is fully charged. Then boot directly into clockwork recovery.

Wiping battery stats

wipebatteryproc.png

I thought that i read somewhere on here that this does not wipe your batter stats, (because there is not script in CWM that says it was wiped like there would be when wiping cache) and that it had to be done through terminal emulator.

Is this true or am I making this up? lol

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I thought that i read somewhere on here that this does not wipe your batter stats, (because there is not script in CWM that says it was wiped like there would be when wiping cache) and that it had to be done through terminal emulator.

Is this true or am I making this up? lol

probably true, i have never used the function as i think its not very useful, i dont really care if my battery is 4% off by the time i get that close i have already charged,and since i wipe data most of the time i dont really see issues.
but i wanted to add the section just to be thorough and it will probably be fixed in the future.... if you could find me this info i will def update the post

Reactions: JOrtenzi

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000