[How to] Install and Use Clockworkmod Recovery w/Screen captures

Allsack

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,
well i followed x's instructions from stock to 2.9 unsing odin, and well went perfect.

Now want to go to 2.9.2 cuz I want wireless tether (nook color won't recognize my SF.

Well, a guy at work who thinks he knows it all downloaded rom manager abd backed up via CWM.

To the point, I followed these instructions and it went well, except I boot from blue to orange. Then the all.zip file fails because itbsays upgrade to edi--- (cant remember the word), its the one fascinate doesnt recognize. any tips?

If i remeber right my CWM currently is version 3.0.0x

Thanks

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,
well i followed x's instructions from stock to 2.9 unsing odin, and well went perfect.

Now want to go to 2.9.2 cuz I want wireless tether (nook color won't recognize my SF.

Well, a guy at work who thinks he knows it all downloaded rom manager abd backed up via CWM.

To the point, I followed these instructions and it went well, except I boot from blue to orange. Then the all.zip file fails because itbsays upgrade to edi--- (cant remember the word), its the one fascinate doesnt recognize. any tips?

If i remeber right my CWM currently is version 3.0.0x

Thanks

Your guy at work did you wrong. rom manager is not working for the fascinate right now. Follow DroidXcon's in the beginning of this thread to install cwm-all through ODIN, then follow the instructions on flashing a zip file through cwm to get to 2.9.2. After that don't touch rom manager at all to do anything until you see it posted on this site that it is working again.

Reactions: Allsack

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Clockwork Mod Questions

So I am pretty comfortable using CWM, but I am only really using it for:

- Flashing (Roms/Themes/Kernels/Patches)
- Data wiping (cache/dalvik/factory reset)
- Nandriod backups (was informed that the restore is not working)

Anyway... my question is, there is a lot of other options in CWM that I don't know anything about. Is there a thread or guide that goes into detail what all the other options do and how to use them?

Trying to learn as much as I can, so any info would ne appreciated... thanks!

Sent by use of The Force

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Ah, thanks! That should be a sticky! (Along with Gunners voodoo thread)

Sent by use of The Force

There is currently a 5 sticky limit imposed on all forums. This is why the search function in the forums is so much more important now, as well as manually going through the forums page by page for at least 3 or 4 pages to look for an already existing thread covering the topic for which one is seeking an answer. Because of the 5 sticky limit, every time someone posts a whole new thread to ask a question related to an already existing thread, it pushes the outstanding, extremely important, and informative threads like DroidXcon's clockwork thread, or Gunnermike53's [How to} Voodoo thread back sometimes as far as three or four pages. I believe DroidXcon has links to all his helpful threads in his two stickies. Also Sheepdog Elite's new [How to] First time rooting walk-through is the result of brainstorming and a collaborative effort on the part of quite a few of us to try and house as much information and links to other helpful threads in one location. Everyone looking for answers needs to start in the stickies, then if you can't find your answers there or in the links provided in the stickies, then look at posting a new thread. If you see a link in the stickies that takes you to a thread that covers what you were looking for and need to ask a question, don't worry if that already existing thread is on page 5 of the forum. As soon as you post your question in that thread, it will bring that thread right to the top of page 1, right under the stickies. This way the really informative helpful threads like DroidXcon's clockwork thread will stay on the front page of the Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks forum for everyone to see and utilize as a valuable resource. Everyone at the forums benefits from this then.

garry_0

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
CDM 3.x cannot recover backups of CWD 2.5

Can someone help me to understand why CWD 3.x cannot restore my backups taken by CDW 2.5.x

Also if you can point me to a download link for 2.5.1.4 version - all the ones that I found point to the latest one.

Thanks

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
what is CWD and CDW?

I think he means CWM. Flash this CWM-ALL through ODIN, and after that, don't do anything through rom manager. That's how you got CWM 3.0.0.8. Rom manager does not currently work for the Fascinate. Don't even touch it until you see in these forums that it is back to being functional for the Fascinate.

NoHolidaysForAHooker

Jan 12, 2011
noholidaysforahooker.tumblr.com
i can't get it to go into red. every time i boot into recovery it's orange. i followed post 3 to install from clockwork to the t. my orange recovery is 2.5.1.x too, do i need to flash from a different recovery version? i'm still new to all this so this might be a dumb question

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
i can't get it to go into red. every time i boot into recovery it's orange. i followed post 3 to install from clockwork to the t. my orange recovery is 2.5.1.x too, do i need to flash from a different recovery version? i'm still new to all this so this might be a dumb question

That's because you used rom manager. That's what the warnings.were meant for .....use cwm all and flash it with odin . Or delete update.zip from your sd card. Then go to my odin package thread and get the update.zip from there and put it on your sd card. Then try to boot into clockwork froyo, then flash the cwm all zip

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
i can't get it to go into red. every time i boot into recovery it's orange. i followed post 3 to install from clockwork to the t. my orange recovery is 2.5.1.x too, do i need to flash from a different recovery version?

The only way to get orange cwm is through rom manager. Stop using rom manager for anything. It is broken and does not work for the Fascinate right now. Don't even touch it. Connect your phone to your computer with debugging enabled, delete update.zip from the root of your sd card. Turn off usb storage, power down phone, disconnect usb cord, pull battery, open ODIN, connect phone to usb while holding volume down button. Flash this CWM-ALL file through the PDA section. Do not extract the file or unzip it. Flash it as it is, in tact through ODIN. Should take 7 seconds. When done, close ODIN, pull usb cord, put battery back in, but don't reboot yet. Hold volume up, volume down, and power buttons until samsung logo flashes two times. As soon as you see samsung for the second time let go of all thee buttons. This will take you directly to red cwm-all. Reboot system now should be highlighted, hit the power button and phone will reboot. Now you will go directly to red cwm-all. Let me say again, do not touch rom manager for anything until you see it posted at AC that is back working and fully functional for the Fascinate.

NoHolidaysForAHooker

Jan 12, 2011
@landshark @droidxcon that's actually really weird because i've never even downloaded rom manager because of all the warnings. just used packages for odin or just to flash through cwm from androidcentral and xda forums. i'll do what you guys just posted, thanks!

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
@landshark @droidxcon that's actually really weird because i've never even downloaded rom manager because of all the warnings. just used packages for odin or just to flash through cwm from androidcentral and xda forums. i'll do what you guys just posted, thanks!

Oh, we may need to take a look at what steps you took because last we knew the only way to get orange cwm was through rom manager. If there is another way we will need to find out what that is so everyone can avoid it since orange does not work for us right now

NoHolidaysForAHooker

Jan 12, 2011
Oh, we may need to take a look at what steps you took because last we knew the only way to get orange cwm was through rom manager. If there is another way we will need to find out what that is so everyone can avoid it since orange does not work for us right now

the last thing i remember doing to my phone was stock/deodexed/debloated EB01 when it first came out. i was playing with JT's new EC10 kernel today and flashed back to regular EC10 but that wouldn't be where I got the orange recovery right? as far as I know since the EB01 rom i've had orange, and i've tried to get red but i've been to lazy to go my school's computer lab because it midterm season. no choice now though, hahaha

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
the last thing i remember doing to my phone was stock/deodexed/debloated EB01 when it first came out. i was playing with JT's new EC10 kernel today and flashed back to regular EC10 but that wouldn't be where I got the orange recovery right? as far as I know since the EB01 rom i've had orange, and i've tried to get red but i've been to lazy to go my school's computer lab because it midterm season. no choice now though, hahaha

Did you ever hit apply sdcard:update.zip while in red cwm? You may have had the orange update.zip on your sd card and that's when it happened.