Verizon Fascinate: Tools and Quick links - PLEASE Read post#1 before posting in this forum

jbaileysr

May 29, 2011
Visit site
It is truly amazing, after all the information I have read about rooting, I am still as puzzled as ever about what method to use in rooting. So many of the "experts" have taken me all over the place, from one thread to another. Just guide me into a simple, as you all have put it, step by step way to root my samsung fascinate running 2.2 froyo. Thanks in advance for help.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
It is truly amazing, after all the information I have read about rooting, I am still as puzzled as ever about what method to use in rooting. So many of the "experts" have taken me all over the place, from one thread to another. Just guide me into a simple, as you all have put it, step by step way to root my samsung fascinate running 2.2 froyo. Thanks in advance for help.

Easiest way possible is following the instructions in post #5 of this thread

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I simply cannot download this file:http://adrynalyne.us/files/odin/su-2...usybox1.19.zip to my pc. It always asked me what program do I want to open it up with. Never can download it

You don't have an option on the pop up window for save file? Should be right below the option to open with a specific program. If you don't have an option to save it, right click on the link and choose the option to open in a new window, that should do the trick. If you have winrar or 7 zip you may have an option set in the one you use that is set to open to x number of folders. You will need to go into the program wizard for winrar or 7 zip to change that setting.

The link you provided didn't work for me either, but the one from Sheepdog Elite's thread worked for me so try with that one again:

s.u. 2.3.6.1 + busybox 1.19

jbaileysr

May 29, 2011
Visit site
From the instruction for Post #5= CWM+Root combo (works with froyo). There are not options as you list them on my Phone after performing "From here using the vol keys scroll to install zip from SD card , use the power to select.

scroll to and select choose zip from sdcard

then scroll down to and select su-2.3.6.1+busybox1.19.zip".

jbaileysr

May 29, 2011
Visit site
This what I get after I "(Do not allow your phone to turn on!! boot directly into recovery) Reboot into recovery>VOL up+VOL dwn+ power, you will see the samsung logo cycle twice, on the second time let go
".Android system recovery <3e>
Samsung Recovery Utils
-for BML-
Enter: OK Key. Select : Vol Up / Down
Reboot system now
Apply sdcard:update.zip
Wipe data/factory reset
Wipe cache partition.
And thats it. I have oden and CWM downloaded, but having trouble with the other two. Thanks again in advance for your help

jbaileysr

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I cannot download the su file at all it always goes to a folder which I cannot open after clicking the PDA button Its is in the download file, however, I cannot open into odin. Who knows where that zip file is.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I cannot download the su file at all it always goes to a folder which I cannot open after clicking the PDA button Its is in the download file, however, I cannot open into odin. Who knows where that zip file is.

The su file does not go in ODIN, you flash it through CWM. You flash CWM through ODIN.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have tried every thing I know, hence I cannot download the su file. I tried sheepdog link to no avail.

Ok, let's take this one step at a time. First answer some very basic questions for me. Do you have ODIN installed on your computer? Do you have the CWM file installed on your computer? Do you have the su + busybox file installed on your computer?

jbaileysr

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I have odin, and Cwm installed on the pc. Its the su + busybox file that i have great difficulty with. It is install in the downloads as a folder. and it will not transfer to the odin pda. So If i have the CWM in my downloads in odin, then su is within the CWM recovery.

jbaileysr

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Everyone keeps talking about how easy post #5 is, well I don;t see it that way. Maybe its because I'm just plain stupid. I have CWM rocovery downloaded and I have Odin downloaded. The other stuff , well is not getting where it suppose to be. Maybe someone will come with a one click method for people like me.

pikanate

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Everyone keeps talking about how easy post #5 is, well I don;t see it that way. Maybe its because I'm just plain stupid. I have CWM rocovery downloaded and I have Odin downloaded. The other stuff , well is not getting where it suppose to be. Maybe someone will come with a one click method for people like me.

If you have everything installed, and if you already have CWM flashed on your phone just put busybox on your sdcard, boot into recovery by holding volume up, down, and power when your phone is off until you see the samsung logo come up twice, now you should be in recovery and install busybox

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have odin, and Cwm installed on the pc. Its the su + busybox file that i have great difficulty with. It is install in the downloads as a folder. and it will not transfer to the odin pda. So If i have the CWM in my downloads in odin, then su is within the CWM recovery.

The su + busybox does not go into ODIN. Once you get past this point, it will be easy. Make sure usb debugging is turned on on your phone. Plug your phone into your pc with the usb cord. After it connects, pull the notification bar down and click on usb connected. You will see a droid on your screen with a gray bar below him that says connect usb storage, click ok if you get a pop up with that option. You should have an autoplay window pop up on your computer, click on open folder to view files. Transfer the su + busybox file to this directory which is the base of your sd card. After transferring, close this directory window and click the gray bar below the droid on your phone to disconnect your phone from your computer. Pull the usb cord from your phone, power down your phone. Open ODIN, pull battery from phone, connect phone to computer with usb cord while holding the volume down button. Yellow triangle will appear on your phone and the farthest left slim rectangle in ODIN will turn yellow. Click the PDA button and navigate through the folders until you find the CWM file you downloaded and double click on it. Click the start button in ODIN and wait for it to flash, it should only take 7 seconds. Close ODIN, pull usb cord from phone, put battery in phone but don't power up phone. Hold volume up, volume down, and power button until samsung logo flashes twice on screen. As soon as you see the samsung logo for the second time, let go of all three buttons. You should now be in ClockworkMod recovery (CWM.) Follow the instructions in post # 5 of this thread in order to flash the su + busybox file in CWM:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...-clockworkmod-recovery-w-screen-captures.html

After the file flashes, keep hitting the soft menu key until you are back at the main CWM page where reboot system now is highlighted at the top of the page. Hit the power button to make that selection and reboot your phone. Congratulations you are rooted!!!

You are not stupid. We all have to start somewhere. I was completely lost until someone (DroidXcon) showed me where things were supposed to go and what was meant by the root or base of the sd card. Once I understood that language everything else started to fall into place for me. You just need to be shown a few things and have a few things explained, then I'm sure this will become second nature to you.