anyone use tethering? does Verizon charge?

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Forgive me if this is answered in a post somewhere, but I have done some searching and could not find a definitive answer...

I installed Wireless Tether and it works great...

does anyone else use this? I am curious if Verizon charges for tethering.

Any info would be great, thanks!

And once again... if this has already been answered in another thread, I apologize.

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Forgive me if this is answered in a post somewhere, but I have done some searching and could not find a definitive answer...

I installed Wireless Tether and it works great...

does anyone else use this? I am curious if Verizon charges for tethering.

Any info would be great, thanks!

And once again... if this has already been answered in another thread, I apologize.

You'll want to make sure you're using the EB16 dummy tether kernel if you're using wireless tether. Verizon does charge for tethering ($20/month 2GB hotspot service). If you're caught using the wireless tether without paying for it you may be charged, though I haven't heard of them doing it to anyone like that as of yet. The dummy tether kenrel has a thread in the forum here.

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I am using the EB01 kernel, is that bad?

Just curious why... and what is the dummy tethering as opposed to just tethering

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I am using the EB01 kernel, is that bad?

Just curious why... and what is the dummy tethering as opposed to just tethering

The stock EB01 kernel contains some sort of tracking software for the wireless tethering. Nothing verifiable on what it does at this point, but everyone's playing it safe until we know more.

Reactions: JOrtenzi

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
The stock EB01 kernel contains some sort of tracking software for the wireless tethering. Nothing verifiable on what it does at this point, but everyone's playing it safe until we know more.

I installed the EB16 kernel...

Is there a specific tethering program I should be using? Or is the Wireless Tether app ok?

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone on here using tethering with the dummy EB16 kernel? Are you getting charged by Verizon?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

murphyboo

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
i just looked at my phone and im running DH12. wireless tethering works fine so far when i use it. should i be ok with that? thanks!

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
i just looked at my phone and im running DH12. wireless tethering works fine so far when i use it. should i be ok with that? thanks!

Ya, the EB01 kernel is the one with the reporting software. DH12 is severely out dated, and you should seriously consider updating to at least DI01. Like gunner mike says though, have you though about flashing super clean 2.9?

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Wireless tether has always worked best for me, but not the versions on the market. There's a google apps page where you can download the latest apk and manually install it HERE. Just download the newest version (2.0.8-pre1), copy the file to your SD card, then select it with any file explorer on your phone. You should be prompted with an option to install.

Reactions: blown14psi

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Wireless tether has always worked best for me, but not the versions on the market. There's a google apps page where you can download the latest apk and manually install it HERE. Just download the newest version (2.0.8-pre1), copy the file to your SD card, then select it with any file explorer on your phone. You should be prompted with an option to install.

Thanks Killah.... I will give that a go. The big question is though, have you gotten charged for this? Thanks for the info!

esrakes24

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Killah.... I will give that a go. The big question is though, have you gotten charged for this? Thanks for the info!

I have used wireless tethering for at least the past month for when I'm sitting at work for my laptop and i have yet to be charged anything from verizon

joe007

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
I tried it for the first time today. I see they force a vzw DNS server, they could track that way. Can you set custom DNS entries?

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I tried it for the first time today. I see they force a vzw DNS server, they could track that way. Can you set custom DNS entries?

That would be because you're still using a VZW 3G connection. Think of your phone as a router when you tether. It's just taking the internet connection brought into it and distributing it to other devices. The EB01 kernel is suspected to report back when you are using a tethering app while connected to their network. Older kernels (for 2.1 systems) and the EB16 with dummy tethering do not.

k2caliguy

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm running wireless tethering on EB01, I started last week. I've probably downloaded 20 MB since starting, i hit 500 kb per second on 3g with 4 bars downloading an embedded news video on my laptop. nothing has changed on my bill, just looking at it the vz website.

k2caliguy

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I'll be a guinea pig and I call and battle verizon if they charge me, I have 2 yr contract signed to a $30 unlimited data pipe, how I go about using that data is my choice, and I own the phone not them so I can. I have never agreed to their $20.00 tethering software. I feel very passionatly about this since I'm paying already over $100 a month to them.

I'm still awaiting for a young smart tech attorney to sue over bloatware that can't be deleted. I hope some of bloatware is illegally stealing peoples data and selling that information violating some federal privacy code, where they can they will get sued. It has to be illegal, its your phone not their's.

drinkhere

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
i haven't seen any charges on my bill and i use about 20GB a month and i do use tethering alot i will keep you guys updated if i see changes on my bill.

blown14psi

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
When I activate the tethering app it sends the user to a verizon sign up page. Do I need to use a diff app?

Edit: So I downloaded android tether from the link above and it works fine.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech