Any Overclocked Kernels Yet?

LoveJesus

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Any way to overclock the Fascinate yet? I just successfully rooted / upgraded to Froyo EB01 and have SetCPU installed. No option to past the 1GHz stock.

Suicide Shift

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
What exactly is overclock?

The processor of the Fascinate is at 1GHz. Over clocking allows you to change the voltage and various settings that force the processor to run at a higher rate. Most all processors are tested to run safely at a given speed but can run faster.

Not all 1GHz processors will be able to be over clocked to the same amount. Some will be able to be clocked more than others. This generates more heat and will lessen the life of your processor. That being said as long as you don't go too far it won't lessen the life of the processor to the point that it would fail before you were ready to get a new phone anyways.

Now if you don't understand over clocking and are not familiar with it stay away from it. You set the values too high and don't know what to watch for you can cook your CPU.

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
The processor of the Fascinate is at 1GHz. Over clocking allows you to change the voltage and various settings that force the processor to run at a higher rate. Most all processors are tested to run safely at a given speed but can run faster.

Not all 1GHz processors will be able to be over clocked to the same amount. Some will be able to be clocked more than others. This generates more heat and will lessen the life of your processor. That being said as long as you don't go too far it won't lessen the life of the processor to the point that it would fail before you were ready to get a new phone anyways.

Now if you don't understand over clocking and are not familiar with it stay away from it. You set the values too high and don't know what to watch for you can cook your CPU.

Thanks... was actually just doing some research on overclocking om another forum

from what I have been reading there, it seems as if the general consensus is that the risk really outweighs the reward. Do you have the same thoughts on that as well?

Is there any links on this site that teaches about the values and limits of your processor? I'd really like to learn more about this...

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
More importantly than overclocking, to us Android users, developers will lower voltages yet increase timing to maintain speed. This will yield a processor that still runs the same, but uses less power (battery) to do it.

Reactions: Landshark

Suicide Shift

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks... was actually just doing some research on overclocking om another forum

from what I have been reading there, it seems as if the general consensus is that the risk really outweighs the reward. Do you have the same thoughts on that as well?

Is there any links on this site that teaches about the values and limits of your processor? I'd really like to learn more about this...

I used to over clock my home PC. At this point the extra MHz gained is not noticeable. The real deal is in the multi core processors and your memory. There are so many other variables that affect the speed of a computer. This is what this phone is a computer.

With that being said even at the 1GHz value of this processor I don't see over clocking being worth it for the value gained. I doubt you would see much if any of a performance improvement. You would be better off know how to maintain your phone than over clock it.

Examples:

Get rid of applications you don't need / use

Do not use high resolution complicated backgrounds. Stick with simple small sized wallpaper

If you have multiple home launchers installed make sure that you don't have any widgets set on the home launcher you are not using

Don't install / use a auto task killer

reboot your phone daily or at least weekly

I don't think or at least I have not seen any specific threads that go into the processor and its limitations. Again the processor is not the only thing that determines performance. Memory has a lot to do with it and there are different types of memory. I am not sure how this phone utilizes memory or what different memory is or is not used.

For example however of a PC. When you make a request the PC looks at the L1 Cache (memory) right on the CPU and if what it needs is there it grabs it and it is very fast. Very small amount of memory there also.

If it is not found then it goes to the L2 cache on the motherboard. This is a bit larger but also is not directly on the CPU so the data travels a bit slower. It depends on your motherboard and how much bandwidth there is between the CPU and the L2 Memory.

If what is needed is not found in the L2 Cache then it goes to your system memory RAM.

If it is not found there it goes to your hard drive. This takes the longest as the hard drive is mechanical and much slower than accessing data from memory. Unless you get the new SSD drives that are not mechanical and run via memory chips instead of platters and heads.

So here the memory, hard drive, motherboard, and CPU all have a large factor in how "fast" a PC is. This phone is a PC and the processor alone is not going to be the determining factor of its speed. Wish I knew more about this phones hardware to explain how it works but I don't build phones. :)

JeremytheIndian

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
More importantly than overclocking, to us Android users, developers will lower voltages yet increase timing to maintain speed. This will yield a processor that still runs the same, but uses less power (battery) to do it.

And this is what I'm waiting for. It's funny I used to be waiting for VZW and Sammy to get there act together so I could have Froyo. Now I say screw 'em. I just want them to release it so I can get some custom kernels from the devs!

If it wasn't for Adryn, JT and all the other guys willing to lend a helping hand around the forums my phone would suck. Perma-thanks to those guys!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995