[How To] First time ╰╮╰╮ROOTING╰╮╰╮ walk-through 4/28/11

Jmac9

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
ok all you beautiful minds out there i have mad 2 nandroids and i would like to restore 1 to see that it restores properly jsut to make sure i have my "save point" in the fascinate game for when i get to the harder levels haha so am i needing to do anything special before restoring a nandroid clear or wipe anything ? and if it happens to get jacked up am i just doing a batt pull and going to hook up via usb to yellow dl triangle to fix or ? i wanna know all my options first and im having a fun time trying to find the info i am looking for and if there is just a link to a read all thread for the restore im glad to read just needing help thanks to all u genius fascinate minds

Couple of things.....

Where are you with CWM......did you install the latest fix? If so , then you should be all set to do backups and restore. I personally wipe cache and Dalvik unless otherwise instructed by dev. No need to wipe data.....doesn't make sense to do that if you are backing up your data does it? If you are not sure of where you are on the CWM (broken or not) then I suggest you go through this thread and follow intsructions needed......

http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...od-superclean-roms-erasing-cwm-confusion.html

Reactions: T3CH9ICIAN

T3CH9ICIAN

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
im on sc2.9.2nv so as far as i understand i should b all gravy with the cwm im able to easily move threw it and yea wiping makes no sense if im restoring ha thanks for setting my brain on track let me know if im correct bout being up to date on cwm it should have come with 2.9.2 correct with the 2.5.1.x

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
im on sc2.9.2nv so as far as i understand i should b all gravy with the cwm im able to easily move threw it and yea wiping makes no sense if im restoring ha thanks for setting my brain on track let me know if im correct bout being up to date on cwm it should have come with 2.9.2 correct with the 2.5.1.x

Unless you have the sc 2.9.2 from the link Jmac9 provided you do not have the correct cwm with the fixes and you will not be able to properly restore your nandroid. Go to the link from Jmac9 and follow all the instructions in there. The EB01 and PIT files are in post #9 of that thread.

T3CH9ICIAN

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
im sorry im confussing myself or getting lost today is this

EBO1.. The full enchilada Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

atlas_v2.2.pit ... http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2056318/atlas_v2.2.pit

the files u were takling about or is it

Non-Voodoo Kernel
super_frankenclean_2_9_2nv_CWMFIX.zip
MD5: 06bed73a07f4b4f3cc32d6a0d60a05ee

sorry again im having a hard time fallowing today i feel like i should know more but cant seem to wrap my head around it so thanks for all the trouble ya deal with

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
im sorry im confussing myself or getting lost today is this

EBO1.. The full enchilada Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

atlas_v2.2.pit ... http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2056318/atlas_v2.2.pit

the files u were takling about or is it

Non-Voodoo Kernel
super_frankenclean_2_9_2nv_CWMFIX.zip
MD5: 06bed73a07f4b4f3cc32d6a0d60a05ee

sorry again im having a hard time fallowing today i feel like i should know more but cant seem to wrap my head around it so thanks for all the trouble ya deal with

The first files are the fix-all before you install the second files. You can try just flashing the second files, but My phone is noticeably better after following all the steps in GizmoDroid's thread. Using all the steps just makes sure you get a full, complete clean and get rid of all traces of the old cwm.

T3CH9ICIAN

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the help maybe ill come back to it 2marrow its still not jiving for me today but again thanks i dont wanna have to b explained the same process different ways and waste ur time

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the help maybe ill come back to it 2marrow its still not jiving for me today but again thanks i dont wanna have to b explained the same process different ways and waste ur time

Not a waste of time at all. My philosophy is it's always best practice to really know and understand what it is you are about to do before even attempting it. Never hurts to ask questions to clear things up.

Danzanzio

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I accidentally rebooted after loading the froyo file on the reboot screen and I forgot to load the "eb01_nonvoodoo.zip" file. The phone seems to be working fine but i went back to the reboot screen and its blue instead of red and i cant seem to load "eb01_nonvoodoo.zip" file. Does anyone know how to fix this?

EDIT: After searching some more i realized its blue because of froyo and im assuming that i just have the stock kernal instead of "eb01_nonvoodoo.zip".

Last edited:

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I accidentally rebooted after loading the froyo file on the reboot screen and I forgot to load the "eb01_nonvoodoo.zip" file. The phone seems to be working fine but i went back to the reboot screen and its blue instead of red and i cant seem to load "eb01_nonvoodoo.zip" file. Does anyone know how to fix this?

EDIT: After searching some more i realized its blue because of froyo and im assuming that i just have the stock kernal instead of "eb01_nonvoodoo.zip".

Yep, just flash cwm-all in ODIN.

taffa5

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
help with flashing rom

Im new to this but have followed the rooting guide. Hopefully someone can point out what I'm doing wrong. I have downloaded the odin and loaded the cwm-recovery-ALL-3-30-FIX.tar, it passed. I then tried to flash the rom with rom manager. When it reboots into recovery the script is blue not orange and the update package failed to verify. thanks in advance

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Im new to this but have followed the rooting guide. Hopefully someone can point out what I'm doing wrong. I have downloaded the odin and loaded the cwm-recovery-ALL-3-30-FIX.tar, it passed. I then tried to flash the rom with rom manager. When it reboots into recovery the script is blue not orange and the update package failed to verify. thanks in advance

Welcome to Android Central. Don't touch rom manager. It does not work for the Fascinate right now. You will need to flash the cwm-all fix.tar again through ODIN. Did you follow this rooting guide?
http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...0058-how-first-time-rooting-walk-through.html
If so, head over there and ask any further questions after you flash the cwm file. You should post your questions in the thread for the method you used. That way anyone who will help you will know what method you used instead of having to search for the method you used. Which ROM were you trying to flash? Answer that question in the thread for the method you used and I or someone else will be able to better help you there.

Reactions: taffa5

maxyst

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
New to rooting, here are the issues I've found so far (despite this thread being a great guide, I've run into several consistent issues.):

- post #2- no issues.
- post #3- no issues UNTIL the last paragraph on entering CWM. As I entered CWM to try it out immediately after installing it, the menu was red. Once I rebooted though, the menu was consistently blue with fewer options given. I'm assuming choosing 'reboot' before making any changes actually uninstalls the root (not sure, but that seems to be what happens.) I would recommend getting rid of that paragraph in post #3. This happened twice and I ignored that paragraph and went straight to post #4, and it actually worked that time (the menu stayed red.)
- post #4- no issues... but is that it?? My fascinate now indeed runs froyo (2.2) but apart from a few changes in icon graphics I don't see much of a difference. Also, the stock bloatware is still there, and I can't seem to delete it (all in one, 3Gmobile hotspot, tetris, etc.) NPS shift is gone though (good!) and a few others, but again, some of it is still there and I still can't delete it.
Additionally, I can't seem to retrieve any of my sms/mms messages. I've tried looking for them via titanium backup, but nothing seems to work. I did get all my contacts, music, internet bookmarks, and pictures/videos restored though. It's just my (300+) texts that are missing.

So... I'd love help with:

1- restoring texts/mms
2- deleting bloatware off a rooted phone

Thanks!

And again, great guide except for a couple of small issues.

saichick04

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I followed these instructions last night to root my phone. I was so scared but the instructions were awesome and any hiccups I may have come along you already had answers too! Thank you so much for taking the time to type this up for us! I thanked you in a few posts too!

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I followed these instructions last night to root my phone. I was so scared but the instructions were awesome and any hiccups I may have come along you already had answers too! Thank you so much for taking the time to type this up for us! I thanked you in a few posts too!

Glad to help. You'll probably want to flash something else before too terribly long, but this just teaches you how to flash things mostly :) and gets you froyo of course.

Reactions: 2fouroh

Binghater

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for these very clear instructions. Let me preface these remarks by saying that I am a complete newbie which is probably pretty apparent.
I was able to successfully get through posts 1 through 3 in my attempt to install CWM ALL through Odin. However, when attempting to get into the red recovery mode, everything remains blue. Any ideas one what I am doing wrong?

Thank you for your help!

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for these very clear instructions. Let me preface these remarks by saying that I am a complete newbie which is probably pretty apparent.
I was able to successfully get through posts 1 through 3 in my attempt to install CWM ALL through Odin. However, when attempting to get into the red recovery mode, everything remains blue. Any ideas one what I am doing wrong?

Thank you for your help!

Did odin give you a success message?

Binghater

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Wow, thank you for that very quick reply. Yes, i believe it was a success. I know that it read "pass" and turned my phone off. I did not go into recovery mode straight from there, though. I wanted to first copy those two files you mentioned to my sd card.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out!