reflash when switching themes, ROM/kernel ID

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
So kind of a general question here.... looked around for info, but was unsuccessful. (Kind of a 2 part question)

I was running 2.9.1sc ROM with EB16 Kernel with the Super Dark Theme. I then flashed the Nitro Dark Eclipse Theme and noticed that the 2.9.1 that would appear in the drop down notification bar is no longer there.

So, my first question is... when switching from theme to theme, do you have to re-flash patches like 2.9.1 (or roms/kernels for that matter)?

Secondly, is there a way to determine which ROM/Kernel you are currently on? I am asking because I flashed EB16 over EB01, however, under phone info, I continue to see the following:

SC20110320-232629.png

Thanks for the help.... this forum is truly amazing!

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
There is no clear indicator of kernel - I know that SC 2.9 will show in the dropdown when you look in the notifications window.

When switching themes you may only have to back up your base ROM 2.9 in after the first flash then you can go back to it after you have opted out of a theme.. if you do not back it up you can flash some themes over themes..

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
There is no clear indicator of kernel - I know that SC 2.9 will show in the dropdown when you look in the notifications window.

Yea, it did show SC 2.9.1 on the drop down when I was running Super Dark, but not since I flashed Nitro Dark Eclipse... do I need to re-flash the 2.9sc ROM or 2.9.1 patch?

When switching themes you may only have to back up your base ROM 2.9 in after the first flash then you can go back to it after you have opted out of a theme.. if you do not back it up you can flash some themes over themes..

I'm sorry, I'm not really sure what you meant by this... could you explain it a bit more for me? Only about 3 weeks into root/flashing etc... so I am still learning.

Thanks!

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Yea, it did show SC 2.9.1 on the drop down when I was running Super Dark, but not since I flashed Nitro Dark Eclipse... do I need to re-flash the 2.9sc ROM or 2.9.1 patch?

I'm sorry, I'm not really sure what you meant by this... could you explain it a bit more for me? Only about 3 weeks into root/flashing etc... so I am still learning.

Thanks!

No you will not need to reflash your base ROM (SC 2.9).

When switching between themes you do not have to re-flash the patches. The only consideration is to keep a copy of the base ROM on your sdcard...

To back up your ROM you will need familiarize yourself with Clockwork Recovery. DroidXcon has a thread in the Rooting section. It has visual aids and clear instructions on backing up and restoring ROMs.

Reactions: JOrtenzi

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
No you will not need to reflash your base ROM (SC 2.9).

When switching between themes you do not have to re-flash the patches. The only consideration is to keep a copy of the base ROM on your sdcard...

To back up your ROM you will need familiarize yourself with Clockwork Recovery. DroidXcon has a thread in the Rooting section. It has visual aids and clear instructions on backing up and restoring ROMs.

Thanks JaeKar99...

I have familiarized myself with CWM and feel pretty comfortable with it. Is backing up the ROM the nandriod back-up that is done through CWM? If that is the case, then yes, I do that every time I change themes/roms.

I guess I was just concerned with not having the 2.9.1 patch because it is no longer in the drop down notification menu as it was before I flashed my new theme.

Is there a reason that it disappears?

Also... thank you for the new Combined Resource thread... I frequent those links often and it is nice to have them all consolidated into one easy to follow thread. Great work!

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
*sigh* WHAM! WHAM! WHAM! That would be me banging my head against the wall. I don't even know where to begin. I'll pm you at some point today.

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
*sigh* WHAM! WHAM! WHAM! That would be me banging my head against the wall. I don't even know where to begin. I'll pm you at some point today.

Sorry if I asked a really obvious question. Like I said I am still really new at this and m just trying to learn as much as possible. I really appreciate everyone else

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if I asked a really obvious question. Like I said I am still really new at this and m just trying to learn as much as possible. I really appreciate everyone else

Nope, not about the questions, ask away. That's why we are here. Read my PM, it will help you.

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Nope, not about the questions, ask away. That's why we are here. Read my PM, it will help you.

Just read the PM... thanks, I appreciate it. I will keep it in mind for the future. Also, thanks for the info pertaining to the questions I had... very helpful

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Just read the PM... thanks, I appreciate it. I will keep it in mind for the future. Also, thanks for the info pertaining to the questions I had... very helpful

You're welcome. That's what we're all here for.