Using Odin, stuck at the FACTORYFS flash

garry_0

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
@ DroidXcon

I hope you can help me too.

As of yesterday i was fully stock, up to date with updates, but rooted. I have tried to install Clockworkmod (cwm-recovery-ALL.tar) using Odin - it failed. I downloaded the zip version, placed it on the SD card, renamed to update.zip and ran it from stock recovery option. It errored . Tried to reboot pnone connecting to a computer logo. Got back to the recovery menu- cleared flash and reset to stock - nothing helps. I still get no boot and icon with a phone and computer.

I was able to ran zadig - it recognized fascinate and I was able to install driver. I am still not getting recognition over USB.

I tried to Heimdall - downloaded atlas_v2.2.pit that allows to repartition phone - but I believe I am still missing some files that go with it - since OK button is greyed out.

Can you please give me a hand to recover from this soft brick?

garry_0

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I was able to restore USB connectivity by rerunning samsung drivers install.

Now looking at the instruction below

4. Choose each section in Heimdall and add the appropriate file, including PIT. Check repartition. Primary boot loader is boot.bin and secondary boot loader is sbl.bin.

Where do I get boot.bin and sbl.bin?

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
@ DroidXcon

I hope you can help me too.

As of yesterday i was fully stock, up to date with updates, but rooted. I have tried to install Clockworkmod (cwm-recovery-ALL.tar) using Odin - it failed. I downloaded the zip version, placed it on the SD card, renamed to update.zip and ran it from stock recovery option. It errored . Tried to reboot pnone connecting to a computer logo. Got back to the recovery menu- cleared flash and reset to stock - nothing helps. I still get no boot and icon with a phone and computer.

I was able to ran zadig - it recognized fascinate and I was able to install driver. I am still not getting recognition over USB.

I tried to Heimdall - downloaded atlas_v2.2.pit that allows to repartition phone - but I believe I am still missing some files that go with it - since OK button is greyed out.

Can you please give me a hand to recover from this soft brick?

Hey Garry, with the zip version of cwm-all you do not rename it to update.zip, you simply flash it through the old cwm. The ODIN version will probably be much easier at this point. A couple of things to make sure of when using ODIN:
1) Battery is out the whole time
2) Use USB ports in the back of the pc closest to the motherboard
4) You have downloaded and installed the samsung drivers
5) If all that is done and you are still having problems, disable your antivirus protection.

Can you let me know at what point during the ODIN process you were getting the ODIN fail message? The flash of cwm-all in ODIN should only take 7 seconds.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
yeah follow sharks advice on odin.

i'm still not clear on what you are trying to do , install cwm or get to froyo, please let me know what time you are on next and ill try to jump on.

if you are going to use heimdall just skip boot.bin and sbl its not necessary to upgrade

garry_0

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
@ Landshark

I have monkeyed with it for a hour and after multiple attempts - different sequences I was able to have odin push cwm and that fixed it my not beng able to boot issue/ being stuck on a "phone connected to computer" icon

I was able to boot into a initial setup wizard and later restore one of my old backups. Something that I have learned that aparently Samsung has two boot sequences on these phones and it might be a cintributing factor to a lot of soft brick issues out there.

@DroidXcon

I was a stock, rooted, no cwm and was trying to restore one of my backups - so I was in the process installing cwm. My mistake was that I could not find vs. 2.5..x and i tried Rom manager that supposedly ives you an option to install different cwm versions. Big mistake - somehow it corrupted my boot and i got a soft brick with no USB connectivity.

Using multiple attempts I was able to restore usb and hence re flash it with cwm - tat the only thing that worked since I could not push any rom, modem and even pit file.

An advise to all listeners - ROM MANAGER - an absolute garbage - avoid at any costs.

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
@ Landshark

I have monkeyed with it for a hour and after multiple attempts - different sequences I was able to have odin push cwm and that fixed it my not beng able to boot issue/ being stuck on a "phone connected to computer" icon

I was able to boot into a initial setup wizard and later restore one of my old backups. Something that I have learned that aparently Samsung has two boot sequences on these phones and it might be a cintributing factor to a lot of soft brick issues out there.

@DroidXcon

I was a stock, rooted, no cwm and was trying to restore one of my backups - so I was in the process installing cwm. My mistake was that I could not find vs. 2.5..x and i tried Rom manager that supposedly ives you an option to install different cwm versions. Big mistake - somehow it corrupted my boot and i got a soft brick with no USB connectivity.

Using multiple attempts I was able to restore usb and hence re flash it with cwm - tat the only thing that worked since I could not push any rom, modem and even pit file.

An advise to all listeners - ROM MANAGER - an absolute garbage - avoid at any costs.

garry_0,

I am glad you were able to get your phone recovered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca