Lttlwing16 came up with a great idea for an experiment.

wipe cache, then Flash the new 2.9.2., as well as the patches I use (Nuance, think free office, and debinged browser)

clear bstats

*228 option 1 and 2

then

Clear all the widgets off my home pages..(analog clock, facebook, pandora, google search, jorte calendar, 4 one touch control widgets (bt, wifi,airplane,brightness) etc..

and run the stock AOSP launcher..(vs launcher pro)

not flash anything new while in this process.

Run this for 3 days with the stock email client...reporting daily battery stats...

then

Switch to K9 email with same settings (or as close as possible) as stock email clients..same thing 3 days.. daily reports

This will tell us which email client is better from a theoretical standpoint..

after day 6, go back to launcher pro and run it sans widgets..

2 days of this then report

this will tell us if LP is a battery drainer...

day 8 run whatever was the best of the 2 above categories..

start adding widgets back one per day and report...

this will tell us what widgets can drain the battery..

this is his idea.

what we need is folks willing to start from a clean rom and run with very little changes for several days at a time. we all know i wont be one of those,

so talk to me folks, ideas, volenteers, snide remarks.
    03-23-2011 08:49 PM
    I know im not good at that eather i change somthing every day i would not be able to make it i know. I could last for about a day before I would brake down and do somthing.
    03-23-2011 09:02 PM
    I know im not good at that eather i change somthing every day i would not be able to make it i know. I could last for about a day before I would brake down and do somthing.
    im not even gonna pretend i can do this.
    03-23-2011 09:03 PM
    Same here...it seems so appealing because I hate my battery life right now, however I ran bstats yesterday, and I know it takes 2-3 days before you can tell if its working, yet i flashed another theme today, then ran bstats again...I can't even make it the 2-3 days to see if bstats is working before im flashing something else!
    03-23-2011 09:20 PM
    Yeah I am thinking that you arent getting many, if anyone, to try this out. Around here is seems like you have 2 types of Fascinate users. Those who are afraid of doing it at all, and those who do it every time Adrynalyne looks side ways at a rom....
    03-24-2011 04:03 AM
    I am with you guys on this one...I have really enjoyed changing/trying things frequently...but for the sake of knowledge, I am willing to take one for the team here.. It's impossible to get a gauge on what's doing what to your battery if you don't test each individual possible thing that can drain.....
    gunnermike53 likes this.
    03-24-2011 06:48 AM
    Yeah I am thinking that you arent getting many, if anyone, to try this out. Around here is seems like you have 2 types of Fascinate users. Those who are afraid of doing it at all, and those who do it every time Adrynalyne looks side ways at a rom....
    your wrong, there are 3 types. the 2 you mentioned and then, ME!!! i put frogs in my phone.
    03-24-2011 06:50 AM
    BMF !!!!
    your wrong, there are 3 types. the 2 you mentioned and then, ME!!! i put frogs in my phone.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    03-24-2011 06:52 AM
    gunner /droid x are early bird's like me? lol.
    03-24-2011 06:54 AM
    I haven't gone to sleep yet
    gunner /droid x are early bird's like me? lol.

03-24-2011 06:57 AM
    I haven't gone to sleep yet

03-24-2011 07:08 AM
    I would like to however I have not gone a single day without flashing something, trying something, updating something, and or playing with something in general since I rooted.
    03-24-2011 08:26 AM
    I'd love to give this a try, but words with friends and my display kill my battery within 8 hours, so I'm constantly charging my phone! I would like to see if launcherpro is one of the culprits for draining the battery so quickly though.
    03-24-2011 08:50 AM
    I can give it a try! I figure I can't give a whole lot of tech advice here but you guys have given me a great phone so its the least I can do (try anyway).

Two questions, should I get rid of my theme as well? and the patches you talked about (debinged browser, Nuance and think free office)....are they required for this test too? I don't use any of them. I'm not against putting them on as at least I will be able to have something new to "play with"!

....and.....Do I run bstats during the trial at all after the initial time? i.e. after each 2-3 day interval?
    03-24-2011 09:03 AM
    Lol. He works nights. I get up at 415 to go to the gym.

03-24-2011 09:36 AM
    BMF !!!!

or BMFF? (BrickMasterFrogFlasher)

03-24-2011 09:50 AM
    I can give it a try! I figure I can't give a whole lot of tech advice here but you guys have given me a great phone so its the least I can do (try anyway).

Two questions, should I get rid of my theme as well? and the patches you talked about (debinged browser, Nuance and think free office)....are they required for this test too? I don't use any of them. I'm not against putting them on as at least I will be able to have something new to "play with"!

....and.....Do I run bstats during the trial at all after the initial time? i.e. after each 2-3 day interval?
    Thanks for taking the plunge! The idea here is to start with nothing but bare bones, get as stock 2.9.2 as possible, while maintaining the stock functions that you like to use, but are not included in the ROM, but as patches.

1. Yes delete all themes, etc which I am dumb about how to do, cause I don't use themes. Like I said you want to get as stock 2.9.2 as you can get. If it wasn't included in the ROM, get rid of it.

NOte: I didn't delete apps I like to use, but do keep an eye on what is running in the settings-applications-manage applications-running tab-. I force close anything that isn't necessary, i.e. jorte, maps, etc etc.. And keep an eye on task manager to make sure apps aren't staying open after you use them..

You don't have to flash the debinged browser, nuance, or thinkfree, I just did cause I like to use these..I am not willing to sacrifice everything for this..

In fact if you don't use them don't flash them.For me they will be constants. I won't change this as a variable, so all results will be with these on there.

It would be helpful in fact if you don't use these to NOT to flash them and see if you have better battery life...as I am not willing to sacrifice function to see if nuance for instance is draining the battery, (which I don't think it is).

Good luck, and look forward to doing this along someone..more data, better results.

at the three day interval, give me a shout, cause I am taking some advice from gunner about reseting stuff, there is more to do than just clear bstats.. when he tells me, I"ll be sure to let you know what his advice is..
    03-24-2011 10:12 AM
    Great....Thanks! I will flash it today and get rid of my theme and all that is good. I too have some apps and such that I will use no matter what, but it would be nice to know what the true killers are.
    03-24-2011 11:12 AM
    You guys forgot to control for one of the biggest variables in battery life: location of the phone wrt the tower or wifi. I for one see 30%-50% longer runtime for the same level of use if I am at home vs at my office, even before factoring in wifi. The tests need to control for these; I actually get stoked just about every time I load a new rom (because i tend to do that sort of stuff saturday/sunday morning) and when it lasts like 36 hours I am blown away, then I go back to work on monday and it barely makes it to 5PM.
    03-24-2011 11:32 AM
    You guys forgot to control for one of the biggest variables in battery life: location of the phone wrt the tower or wifi. I for one see 30%-50% longer runtime for the same level of use if I am at home vs at my office, even before factoring in wifi. The tests need to control for these; I actually get stoked just about every time I load a new rom (because i tend to do that sort of stuff saturday/sunday morning) and when it lasts like 36 hours I am blown away, then I go back to work on monday and it barely makes it to 5PM.
    Good word, joebob, and I had considered this. Unfortunately, independent variants are going to exist. Its impossible to test signal strength drain with location, for every single handset. The drain caused by this is going to be different for each person. My personal schedule is really consistent so battery drain caused by changes in signal strength based on location is consistent for me and should be a constant in the process. Thusly, I can test the other variables without regard to signal strength.

I'll report in a couple days my first findings and that should maybe start to make sense.
    03-24-2011 12:27 PM
    There's no way I couldn't even try to attempt to want to do this lol. To flash happy. My phone makes it through the day with heavy use and that's all I could ever want. at some point you have to realize thats all you're going to get from any smart phone these days. if you're trying to get super battery life you basically have to stop using your phone, turn off data, auto snyc, gps, and dim screen brightness all the way down. But if you do that then you're not even using the phone to its fullest...you might as well get a flip phone if you're going to dumb down your phone like that. Just my .02

03-24-2011 01:18 PM
    There's no way I couldn't even try to attempt to want to do this lol. To flash happy. My phone makes it through the day with heavy use and that's all I could ever want. at some point you have to realize thats all you're going to get from any smart phone these days. if you're trying to get super battery life you basically have to stop using your phone, turn off data, auto snyc, gps, and dim screen brightness all the way down. But if you do that then you're not even using the phone to its fullest...you might as well get a flip phone if you're going to dumb down your phone like that. Just my .02

I agree with what you're saying and I love my phone the way it is too but if guys that know waaaayyyyy more than I want some data to tweak some things.....then more power to them. Who knows, maybe gunnermike and Lttlwing16 can develop some way to actually GENERATE power while using the phone and we never have to worry about bstats again!
    03-24-2011 01:37 PM
    I start a new job today so i wont be able to play with my phone as much just tell what i have to do and exactly i have to report. would be happy to help out.
    03-24-2011 02:02 PM
    I start a new job today so i wont be able to play with my phone as much just tell what i have to do and exactly i have to report. would be happy to help out.
    Great.....more the merrier! Follow the steps in posts 1 & 17 and :

"One area to be recording is, charging to 100, closing as many processes as possible, turn off wifi, auto-rotate, and leaving your phone off the charger while you sleep. When you wake up, record how much battery has drained, and record all the stats in battery use. This will tell us how much battery drain is occurring with our phones are idle."

What I am doing is taking screen shots of my battery stats every three hours and then at night before going to bed I'll take one and then in the morning another. Then record and report that data daily.

Don't limit your use in anyway, just try and limit what is running throughout the day.
    03-24-2011 03:39 PM
    The objective goal here, my friends, is to test and see if results correlate.. if Jmac, and myself follow the same procedure and both find that launcher pro seems to reduce the battery life, than it is safe to say it does..kinda..

Mathematically speaking, there are uptillion different configurations of these phones, so the results we get are aimed at limiting as many variables as possible and slowly adding in one at a time to see if it effects our battery life.

The ultimate answer really needs to be done individually. If your phone and battery are running good and your happy with your setup, then there is absolutely no need to try to do this.. if it is not than following the steps in this thread may lead you to a rough idea of what is draining your battery.

I don't mind putting my modder self away for a week or two, if it can possibly help out the hordes of people in the forum who are complaining of battery life with this build.

Like, Landshark has reiterated numerous times in other threads, EB01 is a reject build. It has been nicely modded to work great for us, who are waiting patiently for the full Froyo release. The battery life on this build is a "mixed bag" as Adrynalyne said. We won't see great battery life until the full release and the release of undervolted kernels..until then lets work to see what can be done to maybe get better battery life. If your happy with your set up, don't feel any obligation to help out..if your curious, and don't mind hanging up the modder in you, which is difficult, than hop on board.

03-24-2011 04:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD