***[Warning] Trouble with Nandroid Backups***

putney1477

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
OK so I have a question. Im running sc 2.9.2 and honeycomb 3.1.1 oh and eb01/16. I did a nandriod backup BEFORE I flashed the theme. I'd like to go back to my for lack of a better word, "stock" theme. Can I just restore thru nandriod? Will that change my sc 2.9.2 back to 2.9.1 because thats what it was before I flashed honeycomb?

Last edited:

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
OK so I have a question. Im running sc 2.9.2 and honeycomb 3.1.1 oh and eb01/16. I did a nandriod backup BEFORE I flashed the theme. I'd like to go back to my for lack of a better word, "stock" theme. Can I just restore thru nandriod? Will that change my sc 2.9.2 back to 2.9.1 because thats what it was before I flashed honeycomb?

You totally lost me there on your steps. In the beginning you are saying you were on 2.9.2, did a nandroid backup, then flashed the honecomb theme. Then at the end, you are saying you were at 2.9.1 before you flashed honeycomb. Which one is it? Whichever one you were running at the time you did your nandroid backup is what will be restored.

putney1477

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
You totally lost me there on your steps. In the beginning you are saying you were on 2.9.2, did a nandroid backup, then flashed the honecomb theme. Then at the end, you are saying you were at 2.9.1 before you flashed honeycomb. Which one is it? Whichever one you were running at the time you did your nandroid backup is what will be restored.

Sorry landshark....I think I confused myself too.

As of right now I am on sc 2.9.2, eb01/16 and honeycomb 3.1.1.

I did a nandroid backup when I was running stock theme, eb01/16 and 2.9.1
So if I do a restore it will bring me back to that...and all I will have to do is reflash 2.9.2 correct?

thanks again

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Sorry landshark....I think I confused myself too.

As of right now I am on sc 2.9.2, eb01/16 and honeycomb 3.1.1.

I did a nandroid backup when I was running stock theme, eb01/16 and 2.9.1
So if I do a restore it will bring me back to that...and all I will have to do is reflash 2.9.2 correct?

thanks again

If you restore your nandroid you will go back to 2.9.1 with the EB16 kernel. If you want to be at 2.9.2 with the EC10 kernel and no theme, just flash the 2.9.2 ROM through cwm. No need to revert to the nandroid first. Flashing just the 2.9.2 ROM will get rid of the theme.

Oh, and to clear it up for you. Stock refers to the untouched build that Verizon puts out. A better way to describe either 2.9.1 or 2.9.2 or any custom ROM with no theme would be to call it the base ROM

putney1477

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
If you restore your nandroid you will go back to 2.9.1 with the EB16 kernel. If you want to be at 2.9.2 with the EC10 kernel and no theme, just flash the 2.9.2 ROM through cwm. No need to revert to the nandroid first. Flashing just the 2.9.2 ROM will get rid of the theme.

Oh sweet! thanks for clarifying for me

gizmodroid

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Things to remember: nandroid doesn't back up your kernel or modem at this time. If you try to restore a nandroid backup with an incompatible kernel or modem, you will have problems. For changing kernels, do the process below, then flash the kernel before rebooting. For modems, use odin or heimdall to flash the modem before doing the steps below.

Here are the current steps that I think work to restore a themed nandroid backup:
  1. Boot to CWM
  2. Mount system from CWM menu (or "mount /dev/block/stl9 /system" in adb)
  3. Run "su" from adb
  4. Restore Nandroid from CWM menu (or "nandroid restore /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/insert_nandroid_folder_name/" in adb)
  5. Reboot!

Apparently I need to sleep now.

EDIT: I lied about sleeping. The revised list above seems to be repeatably working. Hopefully it's not a fluke.

Working theory:

/sbin/su is missing in CWM (which is why I've been mounting /system so that I could get to /system/xbin/su). When nandroid is restoring, it probably needs su to properly set the permissions.

This is why I've been needing to run the fix permissions script after the nandroid finishes restoring. Since the fix permissions script included with CWM (/sbin/fix_permissions) is faulty, I've been mounting /system again (because the nandroid process umounts it) to get access to /system/xbin/fxpms, which is an updated fix permissions script that Adrynalyne started including with superclean not too long ago.

So I think this boils down to su not being accessible at boot up by CWM. Just need to hunt down where that is happening in the source, and hopefully we will get this patched right up! In the meantime, someone could throw together a shell script to put on your sdcard to run the three commands (mount system, su, nandroid).

It's ok if that didn't make any sense. It's late and I'm rambly. I'm mostly just typing it so I don't forget. :D

Last edited:

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Things to remember: nandroid doesn't back up your kernel or modem at this time. If you try to restore a nandroid backup with an incompatible kernel or modem, you will have problems. For changing kernels, do the process below, then flash the kernel before rebooting. For modems, use odin or heimdall to flash the modem before doing the steps below.

Here are the current steps that I think work to restore a themed nandroid backup:
  1. Boot to CWM
  3. Run "su" from adb
  4. Restore Nandroid from CWM menu (or "nandroid restore /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/insert_nandroid_folder_name/" in adb)
  5. Reboot!

EDIT: I lied about sleeping. The revised list above seems to be repeatably working. Hopefully it's not a fluke.

Working theory:

/sbin/su is missing in CWM (which is why I've been mounting /system so that I could get to /system/xbin/su). When nandroid is restoring, it probably needs su to properly set the permissions.

This is why I've been needing to run the fix permissions script after the nandroid finishes restoring. Since the fix permissions script included with CWM (/sbin/fix_permissions) is faulty, I've been mounting /system again (because the nandroid process umounts it) to get access to /system/xbin/fxpms, which is an updated fix permissions script that Adrynalyne started including with superclean not too long ago.

So I think this boils down to su not being accessible at boot up by CWM. Just need to hunt down where that is happening in the source, and hopefully we will get this patched right up! In the meantime, someone could throw together a shell script to put on your sdcard to run the three commands (mount system, su, nandroid).

It's ok if that didn't make any sense. It's late and I'm rambly. I'm mostly just typing it so I don't forget. :D

Thanks a ton gizmodroid!... Landshark, Sheepdog Elite and I have been beating on this issue for some time.

Your investment is greatly appreciated.

gizmodroid

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
In the end, it ended up being su related (ro.securable was set to 1).

Grab the fixed copy of cwm recovery and you should be ready to go for making nandroids and restoring them!

If you try to restore a nandroid that you backed up with the broken cwm recovery then you might run into issues. I still need to investigate the easiest way correct this, but the method listed in my previous post should work.

The fix permissions option is working again, but it doesn't verify that /dbdata is mounted first (will be fixed in the next update), so if you are going to run it, make sure you mount /dbdata in the mounts and storage menu, then run the fix permissions option. If you are having trouble after restoring a nandroid, I would suggest running this option.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Mad props to Gizmo for figuring this one out for those of us who knew there was a problem, but lacked the knowledge base and skill to find the problem.

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Hey gizmo, would it be possible to get a visual marker for the next build so it's ready to spot? Just a white block in the corner or something simple like that.

1. Boot to CWM
  3. Run "su" from adb
  5. Reboot!

Working theory:

bigjobber69

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
alright im still in blue cant get out of it even after I odined the file pls help I dont want to loose all my data and what not just got it to how i liked it again, I flashed the right non voodoo modem yesterday just lost Red CW now I tried to get it back and this happened arg

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
alright im still in blue cant get out of it even after I odined the file pls help I dont want to loose all my data and what not just got it to how i liked it again, I flashed the right non voodoo modem yesterday just lost Red CW now I tried to get it back and this happened arg

OK, problem is everyone was giving you the ODIN version of jt's latest cwm-all and if they read through that thread until the end they would have seen that GizmoDroid said there is a problem with the ODIN version, but the zip file is working. JT hasn't gotten home yet to post the fixed ODIN file. So for now we will easily get by with jt's last cwm-all. Flash this file HEREin ODIN. Do not extract it, do not unzip it, just place it in the PDA section of ODIN and hit start. When that is done, close ODIN, unplug the usb cable from your phone, put the battery back in, but don't reboot the phone. Hold the volume up, volume down, and power buttons until you see samsung twice, let go and you should be in red cwm-all.

bigjobber69

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
ok ill let you know when i get there, i never flashed voodoo kernal it was non voodoo than i did this to try and get red CWM back, so im gonna need to know what to do once i get it back pls thanks! than everything started force closing like LP and what not

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
ok ill let you know when i get there, i never flashed voodoo kernal it was non voodoo than i did this to try and get red CWM back, so im gonna need to know what to do once i get it back pls thanks! than everything started force closing like LP and what not

Just let me know when you're done with the above and are in cwm.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
just keeps flashing samsung like 8 times not going anywhere just keeps flashing

When is it flashing samsung like 8 times? Did you already flash the ODIN file? did you let go of all three buttons immediately when you saw the samsung logo for the second time? Don't power on the phone after you flashed the ODIN file, close ODIN, pull out the usb cord from the phone, hold the volume up, volume down, and power buttons all at the same time until you see the samsung logo flash twice.

bigjobber69

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
When is it flashing samsung like 8 times? Did you already flash the ODIN file? did you let go of all three buttons immediately when you saw the samsung logo for the second time? Don't power on the phone after you flashed the ODIN file, close ODIN, pull out the usb cord from the phone, hold the volume up, volume down, and power buttons all at the same time until you see the samsung logo flash twice.

yah thats what i did, than let it go and it just kept flashing man it just keeps flashign wont do anything else already flashed and everything
no clockwork just flashes samsung

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes