AOSP Rom advantages

toddw

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently running Dark Revenge 3.0 on the EC10 kernel voodoo. I've flashed most of the current roms trying to find the best battery life I can find. I've read a little about AOSP roms. How do they differ from DR, SC and others? I don't really understand them. What kernel would I use? etc. I'm not going to try it immediately but I am considering it. Also, which one would be best for the Fascinate? Vanilla, Kaoscinate. Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

NOsquid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
AOSP means built directly from Google source code, not based on Samsung's desecration of Android like most ROMs we currently have. Android as it was meant to be. The AOSP ones still have bugs right now, like bluetooth calls, camcorder, mms, video codec issues

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently running Dark Revenge 3.0 on the EC10 kernel voodoo. I've flashed most of the current roms trying to find the best battery life I can find. I've read a little about AOSP roms. How do they differ from DR, SC and others? I don't really understand them. What kernel would I use? etc. I'm not going to try it immediately but I am considering it. Also, which one would be best for the Fascinate? Vanilla, Kaoscinate. Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

everything nosquid said.

also, seeint as how you had to ask the question, i would reccomend you stick with what you have or superclean 2.9.2. you will eventually get brave and flash something stupid on your pohne and then become an expert through trail and error of fixing your phone.lol.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
everything nosquid said.

also, seeint as how you had to ask the question, i would reccomend you stick with what you have or superclean 2.9.2. you will eventually get brave and flash something stupid on your pohne and then become an expert through trail and error of fixing your phone.lol.

Too late Mike. He posted the same exact thread over at XDA and went ahead and tried flashing it before hearing back from anyone on the correct way to flash it. His last post at XDA last night:

So I may have screwed up but I went ahead and tried it. I wiped cache and dalvik, flashed the vanilla voodoo kernel then the ROM. It went ok til I started getting alot of force closes in a row. So I figured it had deleted the apps when I flashed so no big deal. I'll just download them with Titanium, but no Titanium and no Market to get it from. Now what? I can't download the apps and I'm getting force closes because they're not there.

Well, it's a good learning experience for him.

ezas

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I didn't find flashing an an AOSP build to be that hard my first time. (which was just a few days ago).

Here is what it took me to flash an AOSP build and then back to SC.

I was starting SC 2.9.2 with EC10 kernel

To get on the new AOSP ROM/Theme was:
Data reset/wipe
Cache wipe
Wipe Dalvik cache

Then:
Flash Rom
Flash Kernel (which I had to get in another thread)
Flash Google themed apps

Coming back to SC only took flashing SC 2.9.2 and flashing a compatible kernel (I used EC10).

Battery life on the AOSP was really good. Like surprisingly good.

Just make sure you are ready, and ready for things to go wrong because like Gunner said things will go wrong at some point. I know because the update i did yesterday gave me a phone that would not boot.

But I had the files I needed on my phone so recovering was about a 10 minute job.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I didn't find flashing an an AOSP build to be that hard my first time. (which was just a few days ago).

Here is what it took me to flash an AOSP build and then back to SC.

I was starting SC 2.9.2 with EC10 kernel

To get on the new AOSP ROM/Theme was:
Data reset/wipe
Cache wipe
Wipe Dalvik cache

Then:
Flash Rom
Flash Kernel (which I had to get in another thread)
Flash Google themed apps

Coming back to SC only took flashing SC 2.9.2 and flashing a compatible kernel (I used EC10).

Battery life on the AOSP was really good. Like surprisingly good.

Just make sure you are ready, and ready for things to go wrong because like Gunner said things will go wrong at some point. I know because the update i did yesterday gave me a phone that would not boot.

But I had the files I needed on my phone so recovering was about a 10 minute job.

And everyone also needs to pay attention to what is not working yet with this AOSP ROM, in call bluetooth audio, camcorder, and mms. It's still being worked on, so you'll just have to wait a while longer.

Last edited:

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Too late Mike. He posted the same exact thread over at XDA and went ahead and tried flashing it before hearing back from anyone on the correct way to flash it. His last post at XDA last night:

So I may have screwed up but I went ahead and tried it. I wiped cache and dalvik, flashed the vanilla voodoo kernel then the ROM. It went ok til I started getting alot of force closes in a row. So I figured it had deleted the apps when I flashed so no big deal. I'll just download them with Titanium, but no Titanium and no Market to get it from. Now what? I can't download the apps and I'm getting force closes because they're not there.

Well, it's a good learning experience for him.

lol. that makes me laugh. i cant go to xda. i got banned until the 10 of apr :'(

Mourningdark

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I also learned the "hard way" about AOSP roms and kernels. I figured it out very quickly and got up and running in no time. Honestly, for me the biggest issue was the video codex issues, due to watching movies at work when things get slow. Once a few of the bugs are worked out. I will be right back because battery life and the feel of the rom is truly amazing!