Odin Fails, screen stuck, and no cwm

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
My Android Fascinate is my introduction into the world of Android. So far it's been a pretty thrilling introduction. I've had the device since November and have learned quite a bit about flashing new ROMS and Kernels.

Recently I decided to jump on board with the Superclean 2.9.2 and also thought that I could take the dive into Voodoo 5.5 (project-voodoo.org).

I think my problems started after converting my file system via voodoo. I got the female voice congratulating me and then rebooted the phone to an infinite loop of Samsung
and Samsung Galaxy S intro screens.

I can't hold up and down to load CWM, any Odin Files I try to push to it fail, even stock DI01 files that have saved me in the past.

I've tried the 512 Pit file, I've tried checking re-partition in Odin. I've used Odin 1.3 and 1.7 but nothing seems to make a difference. It's doomed to fail or never start up. I tried countless guides made in all kinds of different forums on how to recover your Samsung Fascinate if it gets so fubar you can't save it.

Guidance, please. I swear if this gets fixed I might even just leave the bloatware on there and just be happy that I have a phone that can make phone calls and texts. Ugh.

-Frustrated and Unfascinated

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
My Android Fascinate is my introduction into the world of Android. So far it's been a pretty thrilling introduction. I've had the device since November and have learned quite a bit about flashing new ROMS and Kernels.

Recently I decided to jump on board with the Superclean 2.9.2 and also thought that I could take the dive into Voodoo 5.5 (project-voodoo.org).

I think my problems started after converting my file system via voodoo. I got the female voice congratulating me and then rebooted the phone to an infinite loop of Samsung
and Samsung Galaxy S intro screens.

I can't hold up and down to load CWM, any Odin Files I try to push to it fail, even stock DI01 files that have saved me in the past.

I've tried the 512 Pit file, I've tried checking re-partition in Odin. I've used Odin 1.3 and 1.7 but nothing seems to make a difference. It's doomed to fail or never start up. I tried countless guides made in all kinds of different forums on how to recover your Samsung Fascinate if it gets so fubar you can't save it.

Guidance, please. I swear if this gets fixed I might even just leave the bloatware on there and just be happy that I have a phone that can make phone calls and texts. Ugh.

-Frustrated and Unfascinated

i can help you as long as the phone goes into download mode, but not for a couple hours i have to get to work then i have meetings, in the meantime make sure you go through my troubleshooting tips

Trouble Shooting

Odin application displays one of the following in message box OR Odin is locking up in the middle of the process
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 0)
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
Resolution
90% of problems associated with Odin are due to communication between phone and computer

• Reboot your computer
  • Redownload the odin package
  • Use USB ports in the back of the computer, if you already are use a different port
  • Make sure you did not forget to remove battery from phone (Should be out the ENTIRE process)
  • make sure Odin is the only application running and Antivirus is DISABLED
  • If you are using a laptop make sure its plugged in also find the nearest desktop and try from there
After failed flash with odin upon power up the following is depicted on the screen

SOFT BRICK
Samsung_Galaxy_S_Black_Screen_of_Death.jpg

Resolution
First off DO NOT PANIC. there is a simple solution, just remove the battery , plug the phone into the computer, press and hold volume down and it will enter download mode. Please review all the steps oulined in this thread and try and flash again

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
That's fine. I have patience. I'll go through those again in the meantime. My phone is still capable of going into download mode and Odin will still recognize it.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
That's fine. I have patience. I'll go through those again in the meantime. My phone is still capable of going into download mode and Odin will still recognize it.

The problem is that you cant go flashing voodoo kernels willy nilly especially ones that are not meant for your phone such as voodoo 5.5 which is made for the Galaxy S I9000 , not the Galaxy S Fascinate.

You will need the following tools

7zip

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 redistributables

Heimdall

Download and set those things up , ill check up on you in a bit and tell you what to do next

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I pretty much screwed this one. Sorry for my ignorance. The funny thing is that I was directed to the 5.5 through a forum that is specifically for and catered to the Android Fascinate.

I've gotten a hold of Heimdall earlier and tried to figure that out but it's a little over my head at the moment. I literally got my hands on it a few hours before posting this.

I appreciate your response. I have gone over all the troubleshooting tips again. Redownloaded all the files I've been working with.

Odin seems to get hung up on the Kernel (makes sense because of what I did with Voodoo).

<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

I have the 7zip, Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 redistributables, and Heimdall ready to go. Just no clue how to work with it yet. I've unzipped a package before and sort of figured things out on Heimdall but stopped before I caused anymore undue damage.

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I pretty much screwed this one. Sorry for my ignorance. The funny thing is that I was directed to the 5.5 through a forum that is specifically for and catered to the Android Fascinate.

I've gotten a hold of Heimdall earlier and tried to figure that out but it's a little over my head at the moment. I literally got my hands on it a few hours before posting this.

I appreciate your response. I have gone over all the troubleshooting tips again. Redownloaded all the files I've been working with.

Odin seems to get hung up on the Kernel (makes sense because of what I did with Voodoo).

I have the 7zip, Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 redistributables, and Heimdall ready to go. Just no clue how to work with it yet. I've unzipped a package before and sort of figured things out on Heimdall but stopped before I caused anymore undue damage.

no worries about it being over your head ill get you through it, did you download 7zip?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

well as long as you put everything in their corresponding locations... what file did you unzip and did you set up the drivers using zadig?

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
well as long as you put everything in their corresponding locations... what file did you unzip and did you set up the drivers using zadig?

I've gone through the help file for Heimdall, did the Zadig. Basically I'm hung up on typing in "Heimdall Help" in command prompt. I've cd'd to the folder where the files are unpacked. I'm going to shoot for a copy of a stock EB01 Froyo release I have. If you have something better though, I'm all for it (and for sake of something you know will work).

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I've gone through the help file for Heimdall, did the Zadig. Basically I'm hung up on typing in "Heimdall Help" in command prompt. I've cd'd to the folder where the files are unpacked. I'm going to shoot for a copy of a stock EB01 Froyo release I have. If you have something better though, I'm all for it (and for sake of something you know will work).

i dont even know what heimdall help command prompt you are refering to...

EB01 release and this pit file HERE

should work

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Scratch that. I have a 'modem' and I realize what SBL stands for.

However, I am getting a "Failed to access device. Error: -12"

Perhaps I didn't properly set up the drivers...

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Perfect. Now all I'm hung up on is what the primary and secondary bootloaders are... And maybe if I need a Modem.

primary bootloader is boot.bin
secondary is Sbl.bin
if you dont need to flash those i would leave them out. try to flash without them see if it works,
if not then add them back in, go head and add the modem

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
primary bootloader is boot.bin
secondary is Sbl.bin
if you dont need to flash those i would leave them out. try to flash without them see if it works,
if not then add them back in, go head and add the modem

As soon as I uncheck either of those bootloaders, the "Start" option is grayed :-\ And I'm still getting that Failed to access device error message.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
As soon as I uncheck either of those bootloaders, the "Start" option is grayed :-\ And I'm still getting that Failed to access device error message.

first off , put your phone in download mode open zadig.exe , then click options , list all devices, select the samsung composite and hit install

then go head put all the pieces of the files in and try to flash

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
first off , put your phone in download mode open zadig.exe , then click options , list all devices, select the samsung composite and hit install

then go head put all the pieces of the files in and try to flash

Hmmm. Strange that worked over what the help file told me to do. Perfect man. Flash completed successfully! Turned on the phone and we're now staring at sʌmsung for now.
Is that pit file supposed to repartition and reconvert the file system back to before voodoo's convert? How long should I wait before slapping that battery out and trying something new? And what else should I try if this doesn't work?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm. Strange that worked over what the help file told me to do. Perfect man. Flash completed successfully! Turned on the phone and we're now staring at sʌmsung for now.
Is that pit file supposed to repartition and reconvert the file system back to before voodoo's convert? How long should I wait before slapping that battery out and trying something new? And what else should I try if this doesn't work?

ok so now here is the next challenge you will encounter. if this did work and you are back on chances are you will see no internal storage, this is because you are running a non voodoo kernel and your internal memory has been reconfigured to ext4. im not sure if this is fixed during the heimdall repartitioning

the pit files tells the files where to go during the repartitioning. as mentioned above i dont know if this fixes the memory file because the file movinand is not included in the heimdall flash, if this works and you have no internal memory you will now want to flash EB01 with odin, no need to tell it to reconfigure

lets see if it turns on first

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
ok so now here is the next challenge you will encounter. if this did work and you are back on chances are you will see no internal storage, this is because you are running a non voodoo kernel and your internal memory has been reconfigured to ext4. im not sure if this is fixed during the heimdall repartitioning

the pit files tells the files where to go during the repartitioning. as mentioned above i dont know if this fixes the memory file because the file movinand is not included in the heimdall flash, if this works and you have no internal memory you will now want to flash EB01 with odin, no need to tell it to reconfigure

lets see if it turns on first

Man, it's like Odin didn't even consider it. Kicked it on and FAIL!

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
The phone turns on, but just hangs at the SAMSUNG screen. It never moves past that.

Reinstalled the old drivers, same response from Odin. FAIL! Such a lovely message topped of with an exclamation point in red.